Author Topic: Flying with Service dogs.  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Flying with Service dogs.
« on: October 21, 2005, 06:33:08 am »
As most of you know Sanity's started training to be my Service dog.  Most of you also know I'm going down to Daytona in December.  I thought that I'd look up service dog protocol on the airline I was intending to fly down on because, well, Nee won't fit under the seat like your average Lab or Shepherd.  I didn't want to have to buy him an extra ticket or anything.  WELLLLLL I go to Southwest's page and I find this for their policies.

-----------------------
48. Service Animals (Issued Mar. 13, 2000; Effective Mar. 13, 2000)
A. Carrier permits dogs and other service animals used by an individual with a disability to
accompany such individual in the passenger cabin at no charge.
B. Carrier will accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal the presentation of
identification cards, tags, or other written documentation; the presence of harnesses or
markings on harnesses; or the credible verbal assurances of the individual with a disability
using the animal.
C. Carrier will permit a service animal to accompany a qualified individual with a disability at
either a bulkhead seat or a seat other than a bulkhead seat, as the individual prefers, unless
the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to
facilitate an emergency evacuation. Service animals may not occupy a seat.
D. A trained service animal accompanied by a trainer will be permitted to travel aboard
Carrier’s aircraft only if the animal is being delivered to the domicile of an individual with a
disability who either owns or, upon delivery, will take immediate ownership of the animal
for that individual’s personal use. No additional charge will be assessed for carriage of a
trained service animal being delivered to the domicile of the animal’s owner under such
circumstances.
------------------------

So Jenn looks up what a bulkhead is for me.
---------------------
What is a bulkhead?
A bulkhead is the physical partition that divides a plane into different sections. Typically, a bulkhead is a wall, but can also be a curtain or screen. In addition to separating classes from one another, i.e. business and economy, bulkheads can be found throughout the plane, separating the seats from the galley and lavatory areas.

What are bulkhead seats?
Bulkhead seats are located directly behind the bulkhead separators
---------------
So I get to sit in the corner like a naughty child.  MARVELOUS!

I think "Well they might make an exception seeing as how he's so big.  Maybe if they have extra seats or something, I'll send them an e-mail.  Go to the Contact Us page and see this.

---------------

E-mail Policy - Why We Don't Accept E-mail
Call us traditional, but we elect to steer clear of the chat-style, respond-on-demand, quick casual format and focus on meaningful Customer dialogue.  This is not because we don't care.  It's because that style counters our commitment to Customer Service.

Our Customers deserve accurate, specific, personal, and professionally written answers, and it takes time to research, investigate, and compose a real business letter.   We answer every letter we receive in the order it arrives, and we streamline in order to keep our costs low, our People productive, our operating efficiency high, and our responses warm and personal.
------------------------------

Any suggestions?  These guys are SOOO way cheaper than anyone else so I'd like to stay with them but I refuse to write them a letter when they could just say "Oh well You're screwed" and wait two weeks for it. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Flying with Service dogs.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 06:39:40 am »
Just stare at people, while in the bulkhead, and say(without blinking) My friends were being naughty so I had to punish them, now i'm here. It doesn't solve anything but it's fun!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 06:42:00 am by dober_gurl »
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 06:42:22 am »
I like the bulkhead seats you get a little extra leg room, and no one the let the seat back in front of you.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 06:45:18 am »
Actually, the bulkhead seats are the first row of seats in a section.  There is generally a lot more leg room in these seats and are often requested by long legged people.  I still think it will be a bit of a squeeze for Sanity.  Good luck!
Karen

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 07:46:16 am »
Yeah, bulkhead seats are not bad at all. I don't know about southwest, but on airtran, they are the first row of the coach section and they have as much leg room as emergency exit rows. On airtran, they don't let people reserve them as seats; they save them until the day of the flight and see if people who need them show up. I have travelled while on crutches multiple times and I was always put there. I liked it because of the leg room and ease of getting on/off. the only real downside is you dont get a tray in front of you when they serve beverages, instead you have an akward one in your lap
RIP former BPO

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 09:05:00 pm »
Yeah, silly!  Other than first class, bulkhead seats are usually the best seats on the plane!  I always try to get a bulkhead seat because of the extra leg room.  Although I suppose leg room wouldn't be an issue for a vertically challenged young lady, unless she had to squeeze a 150-lb dog in front of her.  ;D

Holly

Hundred and SIXTY thank you :P  Who knows what he'll be by the time I get down there.

::)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."