Author Topic: What supplements do you feed your dog?  (Read 3768 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
What supplements do you feed your dog?
« on: June 26, 2005, 07:13:05 pm »
There is a thread already about what food everyone uses, but I was wondering what supplements everyone uses.

I give Zoey a glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement for her hips, and  am trying to decide if I should add anything else. I have been spending a lot of time looking at her skin lately because of the extra brushing for summer shedding, and I noticed it is looking pretty dry right now, so I was trying to decide if I should give her another supplement for her skin. One thing I know is that you have to be careful when you supplement because you can accidentally do more harm than good if you oversupplement without realizing it, so I am cautious about adding more.

I am wondering what other people use for supplements. Also, if you supplement with 'regular food', is there a specific reason (ie, that a certain food is good for the skin or the eyes or whatever)?
RIP former BPO

ann

Re: What supplements do you feed your dog?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 08:41:48 pm »

i use solid gold sea meal for my dogs it boost thier immune system and flax seed oil for thier coat its a bit early to tell if its helping yet ....if i cant see a real differance i wont buy any more ..

ann

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:55:43 pm »
We have been giving our dogs the Solid Gold Sea Meal as well...  When we first started using it we saw a big change in their coats - they were much softer and silkier.  Now things seem to have leveled off and their coats just feel normal to me.  Of course, I could just be used to it by now, or they could just need a bath...   ;D

We like it pretty well, but I have no idea if it is really "working" or not.  I am always open to suggestions for something better...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 10:43:28 pm »
Cowboy, the big Newf gets Cosequin (glucosmine and chondrotin for dogs) twice a day and Vitalzyme to help with digestion and for overall health (as recommended by his breeder) and since i cook for him, he also gets calcium and probiotics and codliver oil.  He's in great shape except for the health issues that he had when I got him (epilepsy and exercise intolerance).  Chester, the baby, gets an occasional Cosequin (about once a week) and the same with the Vitalzyme.  I'm still trying to sort out the best food for him

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 01:29:30 am »
we use fortified wheat germ oil
becarefull it is made for horses  only 1 tsp a day
the coat shines
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 01:51:54 am »
We feed our newfies chondroitin, glucosamine supplements.  For skin, and we swear by this since we live in an area where salty air dries out your skin, 2 tbl of Cold Pressed Flax Seed oil in the morning meal.  It has to be cold pressed.
We also give 1 to 2 tbls of Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil in the evening meal. 
You can find this and some excellent, and I mean excellent treats at:

http://www.yummychummies.com/productlist.mgi?mgiToken=4DJE6NLDEBILJN41N

Then we give a little bit of garlic on three weeks off two.   Oh and vitamin E!

Luvmenewfs