Author Topic: NEED HELP about hip dysplasia  (Read 3033 times)

Offline waldfamily

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
NEED HELP about hip dysplasia
« on: November 03, 2006, 12:35:20 pm »
I am so distraught.  We got our Newfs on Tuesday from a friend of a friend.  I kept asking for their medical paperwork and asking if they had any known health problems.  They assured me they did not, but didn't have the paperwork. 

They are the sweetest dogs but when I brought them to the vets today they said they both had lyme disease and one had hip dysplasia.  I don't know what to do.  I'm not sure if I should just call the previous owner to return them.  We love them, but I don't know if I want to take on a known health problem.  The kids will be so upset.

Does anyone have a Newfie with hip dysplasia??

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP about hip dysplasia
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:00:41 pm »
I really really hope you don't take those newfies back to their old owner , obviously their former owners did not care about them to do nothing for their lyme disease and HD . Please wait for someone more knowledgable to come on here and give you advice , I know there's quite a few people with dogs with HD and they make it work ! If not , then at least maybe look into getting them into a newfoundland rescue . I'll be praying for you and those sweet newfies !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 01:38:08 pm »
I have a saint bernard with HD. Yes, HD can be frustrating and heartbreaking at times, but if you make an effort to make small adjustments to take care of your dogs hips, your dog can live  a very full life full of joy.
RIP former BPO

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 05:02:06 pm »
I have owned 3 dysplastic dogs although none have been Newfs I am more then happy to share any help I can. As asked above how bad is the HD? One hip or both?

Offline waldfamily

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 12:33:02 am »
I would love any help you can give.   It is in both hips.  He is three years old.  He can go for a walk around the block, but if he is in the house he can't stand for more than a couple of minutes.  He'll follow me room to room and then flop down.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:47:51 am »
I have a 1 1/2 yr old malamute with HD, she is now able to live her life as normal with hiking and light jogging. She is on Glucosamine/MSM every day and does not seem to be in any pain. I can tell you that she does not like to stand on the kitchen floor and will lie down, but does fine on the carpet and outside. I also have another mal with IBD, in both cases it killed me at first to know they were not healthy, but to see them now, you would never know. I would not give them back to the previous owners.

Offline waldfamily

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 07:30:16 am »
Thank you for your help (anymore would be appreciated).  We have decided to keep the dogs.  I agree that the previous owners did not take care of them.  He admitted to me today that he didn't take them to a vet for 1 1/2 years.  I hope everything works out ok.  We love the dogs so at least they will be loved here.

Hilary

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 10:19:59 am »
Hilary, I am going to pull together some old posts about HD and sticky the thread so that there is one central location of info. Look for it later tonight or tommorow  :)
RIP former BPO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 03:59:00 pm »
Check out the new sticky in the medical forum called "everything you ever wanted to know about hip dysplacia" http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,13910.msg171359.html#msg171359
RIP former BPO