Author Topic: Any other Old English Sheepdog owners out there???  (Read 47114 times)

Offline CarolM.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Any other Old English Sheepdog owners out there???
« on: March 21, 2005, 02:42:11 pm »
Hi, I am a newbie, and the owner of an 8 year old
Old English Sheepdog.  Any others out there have a sheepie?
I think they're great big furballs, and have wonderful temperaments!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Any other Old English Sheepdog owners out there???
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 05:37:57 pm »
Please post some pictures because I love them!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mamabluepanda

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 07:03:04 pm »
Hello. I am Dianne McKee Rowland, Founder of the Blue Panda Kennels. I have over 40 years of experience to share and our dogs hold over 200 titles. Feel fee to contact me about your OES. We have several just now of various ages and including one rescue that could not be passed on. Our dogs are house dogs and hate getting wet and muddy. Just try to stay clean in Oregon this time of year. I'm looking forward to hearing from other OES people. My website is: Http:www.digbysyste ms.com/bluepanda

Offline mamabluepanda

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 07:08:21 pm »
The correct website address for Blue Panda OES is: http://www.digbysystems.com/bluepanda

Offline Bobbysox

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 02:48:01 am »
Hi, I breed OES under the Bobbysox prefix in Australia.  I currently have 5 sleeping at my feet.  I agree they are a very special breed.   

Evelyn

Offline blong2001

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 08:13:09 pm »
Hi!  I am owned by a great fuzzy 11 month old OES.  She does run the house!  She is my first and I can not remember what life was like without her.  Well maybe....less hair on the clothes and furniture, no teethmarks on the remote, no muddy pawprints on the new carpet, none of those wonderful puppy kisses!

Offline britt_cllns

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re:I own a Bernese...but thinking about a Sheepdog
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 08:43:00 pm »
 Dianne McKee Rowland- I have a question for you...  I grew up with many sheepdogs and we loved them.  My husband and I thought of getting one and I went to shows, talked to breeders, gained info, read, etc...plus I grew up with them and thought that I knew a lot.  I could not find a single breeder that would sell me one, nor would RESCUE work with me.  They all said the same thing that my kids need to be over 10 and that the breed has changed since the 70's when I was growing up with them.  (My kids are young 3 and 17 months...howev er, they are very good and we would NEVER put up with hair pulling, eye poking behavior towards the dogs...maybe they thought I would, and that was why they wouldn't sell to me.  They all said that they have had too many instances of them nipping kids to correct, as they are herders, etc.  What is your opinion on this?  I would love to kow as you are a breeder and have much experience with the breed.

At anyrate, we have 2 shih tzus and a Bernese Mountain Dog that are royalty and they are all GREAT with my kids and my kids are GREAT with them.  But, I still dream of an OES and am reminded of them when we visit my husband's frien who has 2 very cute and well behaved boys.
Thans, Britt Collins

Offline sferchak

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 11:13:50 pm »
hi,
 i am secretary, webmaster, & fundraiser for Old English Rescue network of the Southeast. Our web address is
http://oesrescuenetwork.org/.  please check it out.
 i have 3 OES rescue sheepies of my own,Shelby 7, Corky 6, & Fergus 3.
i have been owned by sheepies for 30 years.
look forward to chatting with you all.  sue

Jen

Re:I own a Bernese...but thinking about a Sheepdog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 09:46:38 am »
Oh WOW me too! My family and I really wanted an OES we own a great Pyr and are familar with giant breeds and NO ONE would sell to us or let us rescue because we have a 2yr old daughter!  I actually had one rescue say to me "If you value your daughter's life"  I wanted to slap her OF COURSE I value my daughters life! What a horrible thing to say!  >:(  Then I was watching Westminster and as the OES segment was on the announcer comments how wonderful they are with children!  I fell off the couch! I thought it was just me and maybe OES people just didn't like Pyr people or something weird like that or the Westminster Host had NO CLUE what he was talking about!

Jen

quote author=britt_cllns link=topic=139.msg788#msg788 date=1111632180]
 Dianne McKee Rowland- I have a question for you...  I grew up with many sheepdogs and we loved them.  My husband and I thought of getting one and I went to shows, talked to breeders, gained info, read, etc...plus I grew up with them and thought that I knew a lot.  I could not find a single breeder that would sell me one, nor would RESCUE work with me.  They all said the same thing that my kids need to be over 10 and that the breed has changed since the 70's when I was growing up with them.  (My kids are young 3 and 17 months...howev er, they are very good and we would NEVER put up with hair pulling, eye poking behavior towards the dogs...maybe they thought I would, and that was why they wouldn't sell to me.  They all said that they have had too many instances of them nipping kids to correct, as they are herders, etc.  What is your opinion on this?  I would love to kow as you are a breeder and have much experience with the breed.

At anyrate, we have 2 shih tzus and a Bernese Mountain Dog that are royalty and they are all GREAT with my kids and my kids are GREAT with them.  But, I still dream of an OES and am reminded of them when we visit my husband's frien who has 2 very cute and well behaved boys.
Thans, Britt Collins

Offline Dale300

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 12:53:48 pm »
Hi, I am a newbie, and the owner of an 8 year old
Old English Sheepdog.  Any others out there have a sheepie?
I think they're great big furballs, and have wonderful temperaments!

I am new here too and I have an Old English Sheepdog named Miss Muffin who just turned two years old!! She is my shadow and I love her to pieces. I hope we get more members that are lucky to own an OES too!!! I love to hear Sheepie stories!!!
Dale

Offline Wigglebottoms

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 06:50:28 am »
Hi,
I'm Cathy Howard, owner/operater of wigglebottom.c om and proud owner of 3 OES: Taz age 12, Abigail age 10 and Ashley age 8. All are rescues. I learned how to walk holding onto an OES and have had them in my life for 50+ years.
You will hear a LOT of "blanket statements" about OES. "They aren't good with children" is one of many. Behind the statement is some truth...as puppies, they are BIG and they are rambunctious. They tend to plow little kids over! But if you go into owning a puppy knowing this, you're prepared and won't turn the puppy over to rescue the first time your toddler is sent flying! At least one would hope you wouldn't and one would also hope that the puppy/child playtime is always supervised to avoid the...and your toddler is "bubblewrapped" for these occasions to avoid any injuries!! LOL! At any rate, some rescue groups are more than willing to place in homes with kids if they have a rescue who has been "kid tested" so to speak...meanin g circumstances for giving up the sheepdog had nothing to do with it's being aggressive towards children or previously tormented by kids. I had a rescue about 30 years ago and she could NOT be placed in a home with children. She had been tormented and was terrified of children. So blanket statements are simply that and I prefer "SOME OES aren't good with children!". Most rescue groups have their sheepdogs in foster care situations where they are exposed to all sorts of things and the OES is studied to see if it hates cats,kids, only likes other smaller dogs, or boy dogs or girl dogs or only likes men or women or any/all of the above! Your best bet is to fill out online applications for rescues and contact organizations individually. As for getting a puppy from a reputable breeder, it is possible, but there is probably a waiting list. Some breeders sell first to "show" homes and then to pet homes depending on each litter. If there's a litter of 6 puppies and 4 are "show" quality and 2 are pet quality then you can imagine the waiting list for those 2 pet puppies! Don't give up! I'm a firm believer in there's one out there for you! As for Rescues not liking Great Pyrs? Ingrid Thompson of OESRNSE is the placement director and V.P. of this group and guess what other breed she has?? Great Pyr! :   )
Best wishes!
Cathy    

Offline Sheeps

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 04:52:53 pm »
 ;) Hi, yes, here is another OES person.Our "children" are almost 6 years old. They are brother and sister, named respectively Weber & Wabash.They are wonderful, and we couldn't do without them.

Nancy

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 10:40:49 pm »
Okay all you OES parents...I really wanna see some pictures! Please post some!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline zach

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 06:11:32 am »
Hi Sheepers,

We are Diane & Roland Zacharias.  We have 5 OES from 2 to 10 and 10 week old pups on the ground.  Their names are Molly, Nelson, Katie Lynn, Lily and Noodles.  We occasionally breed when we want a pup or two and show our crew in conformation.  We're thing of trying agility this year for more fun with them.  Here's a real cute pic of one of our pups checking out some blossoms.  They are a hand full for sure.  We started with a wonderful firl names Meg'n and her very sweet daughter named Sarah.  They are hear in our hearts forever and we miss them a bunch.  It's fun to watch their different antics show up in all of their generations down the road.

Roland

Offline sheepies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 01:27:22 pm »
Hi, I am Ingrid Thompson and I am owned by three sheepies, Winston 13, Dallas 6, and Queen Sara Catherine 6. I am the placement Director of the South East OES Rescue.
Sara C. and Dallas are therapy dogs. Sara has her TDI (Therapy Dogs International) and Delta Society certification and Dallas is Delta certified and both have their CGC.
Winston, my senior, is retired and living the easy life.
We also have a Great Pyrenees who was a rescue.
My Pyr is a wonderful dog, but there is nothing like a sheepie. I had sheepies for over 30 years. There were times I had as many as 6 at one time, some of them were rescues. I am proud to say that our rescue found wonderful homes for many sheepies last year. We still stay in touch and made wonderful friends with the adoptive families.
Please don't buy from back yard breeders. Rescue a sheepie in need.
Ingrid and The sheepies