Author Topic: There is a dead bird in my freezer  (Read 11459 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
There is a dead bird in my freezer
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:26:50 am »
This wouldn't happen if I lived with girls.

Okay, don't get me wrong: I like my roommates and I prefer to live with guys for various reasons, but there is a dead bird in my freezer. A large dead bird. He's mostly in a ziploc bag, except his tail, which is sticking out. There's a bag of frozen chicken wings on top of him (what female would put food on top of a dead animal in the freezer?).

I saw him last night while talking with one roommate. He said he'd explain later-he was mid-story at the time-but never got around to it. I guess we both forgot. I didn't flinch too much about it: My dad was into taxidermy in med school (to pay for schooling) and kept dead animals at his parents' house, even leaving a bunch in their freezer when we moved to England a few years later. I once found a dead bird in our freezer as a teenager (wrapped in foil and in a plastic bag). When I asked him about it, he got upset at me and told me to put it back where I found it. LOL. He wasn't doing taxidermy anymore, though, so I didn't get it.

But really, why put a dead bird in the freezer? Neither of these guys is into taxidermy, though one did study ecology. That wasn't the one that said he'd explain it. Oh, and they put it on the same shelf I keep my food on! Nice.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: There is a dead bird in my freezer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:35:16 am »
Feathers and all??

OK............ EWWWE!

I put dead birds in my freezer too but they generally have no feathers and we stuff'em and eat'em shortly after.

Can't wait to hear the story on this one.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:18:36 am »
OMG!! hahahhaaa  That's so icky gross, I think I'd have a heart attack opening up the freezer to see that! We once had to keep a bird for a couple days because the county was checking for the West Nile Virus so they told us to put dead bird in the freezer.  I told Tony I would be having NO dead diseased birds in my house, so we kept the bird over in my neighbors deep freezer. lol 

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 09:29:11 am »
SO you are right, that would NEVER happen if you were living with at bunch of girls... That is funny that it's in there though.... one of my guy friends had is dead cat in his freazer for over 3 months it was sooo gross! Anyway, I would love to hear the story of how the bird ended up there.

~K

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:57:46 am »
Haha, this thread is hilarious. I must admit though that my morbid curiosity keeps me coming back constantly, because I'm dying to find out why, exactly, there is a dead bird in your freezer. (Like all of my subtly awful puns?  ;D)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:39:48 am »
Ooh, ooh, ooh, I have a dead bird in the freezer story!  When I worked at Sea World, my roommate, Lori, (who also worked at Sea World) had an evil lovebird named Doogie who liked to kill his wives.  She kept buying him wives, and he kept killing them.  Every time one died, Lori would put her in the freezer with the thought in mind that she would take her in to work and have her necropsied (she worked in Aviculture - the bird department).  But she kept forgetting to take the wives in to work.  So, we ended up with a freezer full of, like, 5 dead birds...  So pleasant.

Don't even get me started on when Lori decided that she could do the necropsies herself.  On the kitchen counter.  :-\   
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 01:25:14 pm »
The only reason i can think to have a dead bird in the freezer is if you plan to check it for west nile
RIP former BPO

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 01:34:59 pm »
Who knew that so many people have had dead animals in their freezers?

Neither of my roommates have come home yet. I promise to post when I know the reason (which will probably be something pretty boring after all the hoopla, huh?). :)

And Penny-Yup, feathers and all.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:36:26 pm by macybean »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 01:41:28 pm »
Man, and I thought old leftovers in the freezer were bad... You guys have me beat hands-down.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 03:14:56 pm »
This thread is morbidly good...  I thought my freezer had some bad things.  Reading this thread + having a beer = spillage from mouth.  Thanks everyone... HAHAHAHA!!
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 03:50:44 pm »
lol... I was thinking.... doesn't everyone have a dead bird in the freezer this time of year.  Little did I know you were talking a fresh kill.  Can't wait to hear the story.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 03:56:38 pm »
Here is the surprising, though slightly anti-climactic, conclusion:

My roommate who studied ecology in school went out to a west Texas preservation this weekend to help contain the deer population. :( It's a marsh in the desert or something similar, so it's a very unique ecosystem, but it's been overrun by deer. So I suppose I can knock on wood that I didn't find a deer head in my freezer. I think I would have cried.

Well, it turns out, it is not a whole bird (but thank goodness I didn't completely investigate that part). It is the tail end of a turkey. Yes, a turkey. And by tail end, I don't just mean the tail feathers. According to my roommate, there is still "some meat attached". He said he needs to find some borax so he can coat the meaty part and preserve this thing. Then he wants to spread the tail out, so he'll have a turkey feather fan. You can't make this stuff up.

I wonder if he plans on hanging this thing in my house... Now I am happy that he keeps the door to his room closed.

I am happy to have entertained you folks today, but if anyone wants to adopt a 22-year-old, smart, handsome, red-headed roommate (no help needed with transport-he has his own vehicle), let me know. ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:44:05 pm by macybean »

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 02:29:37 am »
I hate to say it but there is a dead bird in my freezer, and it is a whole one not just the tail, and I have no intention of ever eating it. I am a woman and being as how several of my friends also have dead birds in their freezers, the only strange part is that the turkey is whole. Our birds are all ducks and we take them out periodically and use them to teach our our dogs how to handle birds for the purpose of hunt trials and tests. If is really funny to watch a retriever attempt to pick up a dead duck for the first time. They pick them up cause that is obviously what you want, then spit them out instantly cause they have feathers and they don't feel right in their mouth. They usually pick them up and spit them out again several times before the retrieve is accomplished. It's hilarious to see. Unfortunately there is no way around training with birds. It is part of the test, that birds be used to test retrieving ability. Fortunately the birds used are always dead. And when training the birds are good for several sessions (with trips to the freezer) before they shred.

Anakalia

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 04:10:23 am »
OMG! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAA!!  That's just too funny!  That reminds me of something Tony would do.  We had to save a chunk of wood for a couple years (big chunk, to heavy to carry) because he thought it looked "cool"...umm yeah.  ::)  So that's a pretty good excuse for a dead bird butt being in the freezer!  ;D

Kirsti

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 04:31:48 am »
Haahaa! What a crazy roomate! A turky butt, come on, most people this time of year have a whole turky...withou t feathers... that is just to funny, very origional... guys are weird, these stories prove it  ;)!

~K