Author Topic: Should I count on this behavior, or expect change?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Should I count on this behavior, or expect change?
« on: November 08, 2006, 11:21:08 am »
When I take Bella for a walk, she walks behind me. I am practically begging her to walk faster most the time! There are also times when I'm walking and all the sudden the leash tightens up- so I turn around and there's Bella- in a sit leaning against the leash, and not going to move another inch! OOH! She can be stubborn! ;)  SO, is this a puppy behavior (in which case I should prepare for the pulling and exuberance like most dogs)??? I probably sound like I'm complaining... I'm not! I hate the pulling, its just that this is such a strange thing for me! It is so odd to be urging my dog to walk!  Usually I'm begging for them to slow down, ya know?
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Should I count on this behavior, or expect change?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:28:55 am »
Hahaha!!! My first Newf, Otis, did the same thing.  I know he was snickering under his jowls at the way he made me look like an absolute fool! 

How old is Bella?  With the giants, as puppies, they get tired quickly and the rule of thumb is to walk a minute for each week of age until about 6 months.  So a 3 month old puppy will get about a 12 minute walk - 6 minutes out, 6 minutes back.  You can do it a couple of times a day, but keep in mind how quickly she is growing and how much energy that takes.  Once the growth slows down a bit, they are more cooperative about walking.  Also, once you go to puppy classes, they learn more about behaving and she'll get the idea from the others.  Just be very gentle with her and she'll come along well!