Author Topic: Symptom of urinary tract infection? Female leaving occasional urine puddles  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Enigma66

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
The last few days my female has been leaving occasional urine puddles after she's been laying down for a while, maybe about a tablespoon's worth.  Overall health is great, no change in personality.  Any ideas?  Could it be a urinary tract infection?  Would appreciate hearing some thoughts or experiences.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
I just went through the same thing with Kaila (nearly 2yo Malinois) and she was diagnosed with spay incontinence.  So she is now on meds to control it and doing fine.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Enigma66

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
What meds is your dog on for this spay incontinence?  It was suggested to me to ask the vet for a prescription for estrogen pills.  I was told a female can get a little 'loose' after spaying and the estrogen pills could/should/would help.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
You also could try sudafed,one tab twice a day but only with the doctors ok.
many females do well on that, also studies prove that overweight females have this worse than fit ones.
put your dog on a corn free food that is mostly proteins as the first ingredients, and, weight maintenance should be better.
other choices are proin or one other perscription to help with the incontinance
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Kaila is on Proin right now.  She was getting 1/2 tablet 1xday but I just had to start giving her 1/2 tablet 2 x day.  It's not estrogen based meds but a heavy duty antihistamine like mini-thins.  That's the way it was described to me by me vet.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Enigma66

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
The female in question is 19 months old, spayed at 14 months.  I got her at 15 1/2 months.  Not overweight, she's lean & mean.  Food is Canidae.

This Proin medication your dog is on - does she have to be on them the rest of her life?  How much do they cost?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:28:21 am by Enigma66 »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Yes, she has to stay on it for the rest of her life at least for now.  I have high hopes after talking to some folks on here and the vet that she may be able to be weened off of it to either a lower amount or even entirely.  My vet told me he has one patient that takes their meds 1 x every couple of days. 
I got a bottle of Proin that contains 60 tablets.  I think it cost me about $30.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Sounds like urinary incontinence to me also. The doberman I watch has been incontinent since she was about a year old. She is now 8 and on her third type of medication (started after the others stopped working). This new med is given once a week and really seems to work well. I will find out the name and price for you so you know all your options for treatment.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
You can take her in for a check up to discuss options, the vets in our town tell us our one option other than expensive perscriptions, is the antihistamine, in sudafed.
the antigistimine tightens the stuff in their body, and helps them so they are not incontinent.
same thing is in the proin and other scripts, it is best though to take her in, make sure it is not uti or any other thing, like tubes not hooked up properly to the kidney or bladder wich can be seen on xray or ultrasound.
after spay, they can become overweight, so be ever vigilant, you should be able to feel ribs and spine easily.
without pushing into the ribs to feel them.
many think they are fit, when they are not.
anyway, not saying you are one of them.
the thinner she is the easier it will be on her bladder problem,
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505