Author Topic: two male dogs jockeying for position  (Read 2485 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
two male dogs jockeying for position
« on: June 28, 2005, 10:18:18 am »
There seem to be lots of knowledgeable people on this site so I thought I'd post this question before I call the vet.  I'm not even sure the vet is the right person to ask..

I posted something a week or so ago about my previously housebroken 7 mo old pup peeing in the house again.  We've come to the conclusion that it is marking- probably in reaction to all the babying and special treatment we've given him post surgery.  So in response, we've limited his rooms in the house again and we always make sure to greet and feed our older dog (12 years) first.  This seems to be working as far as the marking goes. Cooper is definitely deferential to Kramer when we are present but I've caught him a few times doing things like blocking a doorway so Kramer can't go thru so I'm fairly certain stuff is still going on between them.

My question is this- Should Cooper always respect Kramer as higher in the hierachy to him.  The truth is that Cooper could probably kick Kramer's butt due to size and age.  I know if they were wild there would come a time for Kramer to step down and the more powerful male to step up.  I just don't know if that's the same for dogs in a home.  Maybe we shouldn't be intervening and let them figure it out.  I don't know..

Any thoughts?
Maggie

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: two male dogs jockeying for position
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 10:40:26 am »
I heard once that neither of your dogs should be noticeably alpha.  Because if one dog is alpha then you are no longer alpha.  The example was...what if your alpha dog attacks you, since he is alpha the other dogs would follow suit.

If I had to pick an alpha between my two, it would be Rocco, he is bigger, older, and a male.  If Maia, younger, a little smaller, female,  is being cranky with a foster dog or him he holds her to the floor by her mouth.  I don't make a point to feed one or the other first and they have never fought over food but neither has ever tried to take the others.  I have never noticed any door blocking but I think it is because they are both too focused on getting in or out of the door.

I would think you could just let them figure things out just don't let Cooper get too full of himself.  With limiting his rooms in the house and not limiting Kramers you might be helping Kramers status. 

Another tid bit.  With foster dogs, you are not supposed let them have free reign.  Freedom in your house is earned, your own dogs have earned it.  So it is not fair to let a foster dog come in and automatically have freedom.  I know neither of your dogs are fosters but maybe bringing a new dog into your family is similar.  Cooper should have to earn his freedom and when he outwardly dominant he loses freedoms.

Just some random thoughts.  ;D
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 11:50:43 am »
I agree with Greek. I think they newbie should earn the respect of his elder brother and though the oldest might not be the alpha between the two of them it is something that they will have to eventually work out in their own way. Good luck!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:56:19 am »
I agree that you should not be making either dog the alpha, because you are always supposed to be the alpha. The dogs are supposed to work together, not against each other, and by you putting kramer above cooper, you are creating a situation where cooper feels like he needs to act out to prove himself. Start treating them both equally and their relationship should improve.
RIP former BPO