Author Topic: Looking for advise on a new digital camera (OT)  (Read 3020 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Looking for advise on a new digital camera (OT)
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:58:31 pm »
I currently have a canon power shot point and shoot auto focus 4.0 mega pixel camera.  It is a few years old I paid way to much for it and I HATE it!!

My pictures are always slightly out of focus and humans and doggies have major red eye.

I have asked for a new camera for the holidays and was wondering since you all post such wonderful pictures what kind of camera do you have and do recommend it?

Thank you so much for your feedback!!

Randy

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for advise on a new digital camera (OT)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:12:16 pm »
I shoot with a Canon 20D that my hubby bought me about a year ago. (as an upgrade from the 10D) My usual ammo of lenses are the 17-40L, 85MM, Nifty-fifty (50MM) or my "big gun" the 70-200L. I'm a hobbiest with a spending problem though...

My girlfriend just bought an Olympus...not sure of the model #, but it's a 6 megapixel. I took the shots at her Birthday extravaganza, and I have to say, for a point-n-shoot, that was one phenomenal piece of equipment. It didn't set her back too much either, if that's a concern.

edited for my atrocious spelling...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 11:12:59 pm by Leah-n-boy-os »
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:20:58 pm »
As far as cost I don't want to spend over lets say $400.00 Hubby isn't happy with me anyway since the other camera was "exactly what I wanted".  I wouldn't mind a camera that I have to focus although my eyes are getting older so I hope I could focus OK.  But a good focus and shoot would be good also!

Thanks again!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:24:51 pm »
I think she got the Olympus for around $150-200.00. Best bet, head into a camera store and test it out, along with some competitors. I found it real easy to zoom, and the clarity was very impressive.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:59:35 pm »
I have just gotten the Olympus Evolt 500. It is an awesome camera; We bought the kit that came with 2 different lenses. I upgraged from a Olympus point and shoot type camera and thought that I was going to be a bit overwhelemed- well not at all. This is one of the most user friendly cameras ever. It is a 8 mega pixel and the pictures are some of the best I have ever taken- including when the dogs are zooming at major speeds. I paid 700.00 for the kit with the lenses, battery, and battery charger, the card cost an additional 40.00. Check out the Olympus website- this is the second Olympus and I picked this one over the Canon that I had originally wanted.

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 04:14:44 am »
I can't point you toward a specific model, but I will say, if red-eye is a problem, go for a larger camera. Small-bodied cameras have weak flashes that don't make it very far away, which is what results in mega red-eye. This website has oodles of information and reviews. http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Something like the Canon Powershot S3 IS can be had for around $400 and it should take awesome pictures, but it won't be much fun to lug around. The tiny ones are nice to have so you will always carry the camera with you, but then you get the red-eye. There's drawbacks with everything :sigh:

Whichever you pick...get one that takes SD cards insted of xD. Much cheaper.

Hope this helps! :)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 06:27:23 am »
Thanks for everyones advise - I will definately be looking into the Olympus and I will read some more info on the internet - thanks also for update on the size of the flash that could certainly be the issue.  I am getting better at fixing red eye on photo shop but it is just so annoying!!

I have a feeling I will wind up with something bulkier than my power shot but we'll see

Any one else with advise it would certainly be appreciated

Randy - and Harley (who comes out with no eyes in photographs)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 09:16:31 am »
I'm a little late weighing in on this one but I just bought a new digital camera.  I bought a Panasonic Lumix that's 6 megapixels.  It's small but some of the people that are camera junkies told Michael that Panasonics have some of the best ratings by actual users.  I couldn't find any reviews on them but I was told that they are one of the nicest secrets out there and they are quite affordable.  I think mine cost about $300.  I hope that helps and I love my new camera.  I upgraded from a 3.2 megapixel Fuji Finepix but I still have that camera and like it also.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience