Samoyeds > Samoyed Discussions & Pictures

Obedience????

(1/3) > >>

mgcsold:
Hello everybody....

Hope all are having a good day.  I am posing a question and here it is.....

How many of you Doggie Parents have had formal Dog obedience training for you and your dogs?

If you did have such training was your experience good or bad?
Please explain your answers if you can.  Please do not mention specific companies or names.

What things do you think the instructor could have done to make your experience better?  Once again please no specifics...th ank you.

Thank you for whatever information you decide to share

Christi
I just want this information to help me further my education on how to become the best instructor I can.

awo:
Hello christi,
   When we got Dudley, we elected not to get formal training for dudley because we had both been around dogs are whole lives.  So we did all the training ourselves and if we had questions, I had another group online.  However, I'm an animal welfare officer and see animals everyday that don't know the basic commands and it makes my job harder.  The only advice that I give you is to make sure people know when they get a new animal that they should get training if they dont' know how to do it themselves.

awo

mgcsold:

--- Quote from: awo on March 21, 2005, 07:30:47 pm ---Hello christi,
   When we got Dudley, we elected not to get formal training for dudley because we had both been around dogs are whole lives.  So we did all the training ourselves and if we had questions, I had another group online.  However, I'm an animal welfare officer and see animals everyday that don't know the basic commands and it makes my job harder.  The only advice that I give you is to make sure people know when they get a new animal that they should get training if they dont' know how to do it themselves.

awo

--- End quote ---

Thank you, I too did not get formal training.  I have been, ever since I can remember, the family dog trainer.  So between that and the fact I have been studying to be an instructor...I trained and still am training Zach.  I appreaciate the tip and you can bet I will be advising exactly that....

jabear:
We took Bear through 3 levels of obedience and loved every minute of it. He is our first dog together & as grown ups so we wanted to do everything right. Plus, we met so many cool people there that it was totally worth it for us & him.

dohertyswissy:
Like Bear's family, Ranger is my husband and I's first dog.  He is 5 months old and we've just taken him through the "puppy kindergarten" obedience class.  We intend on taking him to at least one more class..if not more.  I thought that it was a great experience for all of us.  The one thing that I would've changed is the instructor giving us more information on her methodology and the progression of the class, just so we'd know what to expect the next week.  A little more detail on the "homework" would've been good too.  Our instructor was very patient and was sure to take personal time with each family, especially those who were having more difficulty getting it.  I was very impressed by that and think it was an important component to the class' success.  Also, puppy socialization time was great too and not just for Ranger... too much fun watching all the puppies play together!  Hope this helps!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version