Samoyeds > Samoyed Discussions & Pictures

Obedience????

<< < (3/3)

Carolyn:
I have taken both my Shilohs to Obedience classes starting with puppy kindergarden, then Family dog 1 (basic obedience) rather than going on to family dog 2 obedience, I decided to go to an "open" class every wednesday night. I love this class & hope that people realize that obedience does not stop at sit, come, stay. We learn so much more, marking, scenting & all the formalities of obeidience showing & we keep up on socialization skills.
It's really hard to practice at home all the time, my house is small & its hard to give individual attention, so when I train at home its 2 dogs at a time. In my house everydays a "training day".
Carolyn

dnalong:
We've taken all of our dogs through advanced obedience classes and Baloo, our 2YO Ridgeback, even earned his CGC certificate at the end of his last class. We've had 2 dobies (one passed on in March :'() and now a second Ridgeback, and although we do train them at home starting at 8 weeks - have found that the dog socialization in a controlled environment is invaluable. It keeps us on task as well ::)
The trainers we've gone to recently are all about positive reinforcement for the dogs and absolutely no hitting or negative "reactions". When the dog doesn't listen, you simply ignore them until they do what you've asked - they pick up on it pretty quickly as they really do want to please you  :)
And we've had to "alpha-dog" all of them from time to time, as they are incredibly smart and sometimes very stubborn - so they get rolled onto their backs and made to stay there until they give in and relax. Have found that it's important for both of us to do this so the dogs understand that we're head of the pack, so to speak.  
As soon as little (not for long) Zula gets all of her shots - she gets enrolled in puppy class.

kildeskennel:
We take our Kuvs to kindergarten when pups and obedience as they get older. Aidan will be going to the next level in the fall.  Beauty will go as well.  We love socializing with htem, I feel its important for them.  I could train at home, and do a fair amount of that already but I enjoy the classes and so do they.  I like positive reinforcement, but sometimes a litte more is necessary a tap on the nose, holding the nose, etc.  I like to use treats and lots of praise for initial learning, then later just lots of praise, treats occasionally.  I do wish the classes were a few times a week instead of just once.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version