Author Topic: Changing Vets Again  (Read 945 times)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Changing Vets Again
« on: November 13, 2006, 02:14:22 am »
Two years ago we changed vets mainly because of a conflict with Tucker's epilepsy treatment.  In addition we had long wait times and communication issues. 

For the most part we have been on the same page with our current vet regarding Tuc's treatment; however, we do not agree on vaccination protocols.  We have decided to titer and our vet does not approve... oh well.  Not that big of a deal.

Well last week when we had Bobo PTS we had an issue.  Bobo at almost 19 was suffering from Hypokalemia (low potassium) After doing a great deal of research we decided to have him PTS.  My issue with the vet was that we was telling us that Bobo had "many issues" including a heart problem... well yes Hypokalemia I agreed does cause arrhythmias but other than the low potassium Bobo's blood work looked GREAT.  When I suggested that the arrhythmias were as a result of the hypokalemia my vet blew me off and stated, "it would not cause heart problems".  Well according to my research it does.

Because of Bobo's age, joint issues, and the unknown cause of his condition we made the decision to PTS; however, had this been our 5-year-old cat Aruba we would have done things differently.  My problem is, had we just listened to our vet we would have made a decision without all the facts or worse with misinformation .

So I guess I would like to ask how you deal with conflicting information you find in your research as opposed to what you are told by those that are suppose to be in the know.  Should I just keep my mouth shut and continue to do what I feel is best?

This is not just limited to my animals but also human health care.  I personally had an issue with my doctor regarding routine testing and when I confronted him with documentation from medical and cancer associations he said “whatever it’s YOUR body do what you want”.  I also had issues with my son’s doctors when he was dx. with HCM.  Glad I did because we ended up at one of the best hospitals (John’s Hopkins) that deals with HCM.

Anyway, I am a firm believer that you are your own best advocate, that NO ONE will have your best interest in mind like you do, and we must be informed patients.  My concern is that I always seem to have these issues with most in the medical field…. Is it just me or do they really suffer from a “god complex”?

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Vets Again
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:50:50 am »
I have been fortunate to find a really good vet.  I think most often he's amazed that I know the things I know, that I'm educated about my breed and that I raise questions when I visit. I think that it's typical for vets to experience clients who have no idea about their dog, so an engaging, educated one might be a bit intimidating at first.  I suppose my thoughts about this might sound strange, but I don't expect my vet to know everything. I DO expect, however, for him to tell me like it is when he knows it, admit when he doesn't, be open-minded to different opinions, and be proactive in working with me to find the right solution.  So far, he has fallen in love with Bella, and the things I have brought up, he seems to be very knowledgeable about. So, only time will tell, but he's been great with all my past animals. Best of luck finding a vet that you feel good about. I think it's as important as the relationship you have with your own doctor (which is another can of worms).   
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat