Author Topic: Lola's behaviour around strange dogs..  (Read 3933 times)

Lyn

Lola's behaviour around strange dogs..
« on: November 13, 2006, 07:33:14 am »
We (hubby and I) decided to take Lola into town to the pet store. When we got out of the truck I noticed a GS tied to a mailbox outside the coffee shop next door. The dog was a distance away, Lola saw the dog and was fine.

We went into the pet store and the owner of the GS must have seen us and decided to walk his dog up to Lola (she was inside looking out the exit door) the GS was outside. I didn't notice right away since I had my back to the door. But she barked and started growling and I jumped around and saw the GS. The owner turned around once Lola reacted, smiled and then left.

I instantly corrected her and she stopped. She's never reacted like that before. But I'm not sure what to think of this behaviour. I don't think the GS startled her since she was looking out the window before they started to approach.

Although it's possible too she was reacting to the guy and not the dog. She can be iffy with people she doesn't know, mainly men. She picks and chooses who she allows to touch her. Even with all the socializing we have done with her.. she just acts anti-social.  :-\

Any tips on how to nip this behaviour in the butt?

Forgot to add, she doesn't take it past the barking/growling. No lunging/biting or anything like that. Actually if they continue to approach she will hide behind me or hubby. Definitely fear related. :(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 07:41:29 am by Lyn »

Lyn

Re: Lola's behaviour around strange dogs..
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:54:14 pm »
I talked with hubby lastnight and he said Lola was looking directly at the dog, not the guy..  She approaches our male friends with no problem now. So he's probably right. Random strange men sometimes freak her out. But she doesn't bark/growl, just avoids them.

I was assuming it was the guy because she saw the dog when we got out of the truck and ignored it. But it was also a distance away.

That's blows too because I don't really know of any 'strange' but friendly dogs that she could meet. :(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:56:31 pm by Lyn »

Offline Boo-Damphir

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:08:00 pm »
It might be worthwhile to go back to PetsMart even just to browse the store.  Repeated exposure when Lola feels safe and comfortable with you can some times curb that quickly.  Who knows, the other dog could have called her a naughty name too LOL!
I wish you were close to where we live, we could get together at the dog park.  All of ours are friendly with other dogs.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:12:59 pm »
Man, that kind of stuff is so hard. Bella is socializing as we speak, and just starting her first fear period I think, so I'm having a little trouble too. SHe seems to be generally a scaredy cat anyway.  Maybe you could do some research and see if there's a dog club or organization in your area? I read some one else on this forum the other day saying that they would typically call the association about one of their functions, and ask permission to come and visit/socialize.  They said they'd had very good experiences with that.  I socialize at the park mostly because there are a ton of dogs in my area, so maybe the park would be good, too?  Best of luck!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 09:26:26 pm »
This is a small locally owned store. The chance of actually running into another dog in there is slim. We don't have any big chain stores here. :(

She's been fine with other dogs in the past.. so maybe it was just a fluke.  :-\

The only place I can think of that we would run into other dogs would be the vet's office. I could walk her through the waiting room and see how she reacts.. I can weigh her while I'm there.

I don't know of any dog parks here either.. I'll have to do a search online and see where the closest ones are.

There was an Ontario BPO get-together in the works. If that's still on, there's another option.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 09:39:21 pm »
I would come to an Ontario BPO gathering once the weather gets nice again - as long as it didn't require city driving or any 4 lane highways to get there (sorry, country girl here - would rather wait for the tractors on the 2 lane roads!)

Are there any obedience classes you could go to?  Not necessarily for the obedience but for the exposure to other dogs?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 10:13:49 pm »
Actually there is a trainer up the road from me. I am allowed to come sit in on the class. But if Lola is barking/growling.. she'd probably kick me out. LOL

We were actually going to enroll Lola in her class before. But she was so fearful of everything that she just shut down. So she gave me socialization tips which is what we have been doing. We focused moreso on her fear of people (now I see that was a mistake. :( ) since other dogs were not a problem at the time. She would actually go to another dog over a person.

I'll have to make an appointment with the trainer, take Lola there and get her to evaluate her behaviour with another dog and see whether a class setting or one on one would be better. The trainer has used her own dog for working on dogs with issues.. might be less scary for Lola with one other dog in the room than many.

I'll have to talk it over with hubby and see what he thinks..  ;)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 10:26:24 pm »
If your back was turned then there is no way to know why Lola was set off. Lola may have been nervous the whole while the GS was approching, and may have sent the GS calming signals that he/she ignored. Plus the GS walking straight at Lola could have been preceived as both threatening and stressful to Lola. And having a leash on, with no where to go there is only one signal left for Lola and that is defense!!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 10:03:00 am »
I know Kaila doesn't like for strangers (dogs/people) to approach me especially if it appears to be a fast approach.  With your back turned do you think she could have been warning the other dog away from you?  Maybe a little resource guarding of you if she was stressed out.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience