Author Topic: My Old English Mastiff Puppy is eating rocks  (Read 4189 times)

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
My Old English Mastiff Puppy is eating rocks
« on: June 28, 2005, 03:20:41 pm »
My 9 week old puppy is eating rocks has anyone else had this problem? My vet seems to think it has to do with the breed because he has two other patients that do the same thing.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: My Old English Mastiff Puppy is eating rocks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 06:04:31 pm »
I cant say I agree with the vet. I have had dane puppies who love rocks, golden pup who couldnt get enough of them and a German Shepherd who did the same, Galahad OEM is now about 17 weeks and he has never been real bad about it. I think certain pups are and others are not. Mind you, you really want to try and keep him away from it, start early with the command "leave it" and excange the rock for a treat, and praise lots. Many a dog has had to have surgery to remove rocks. So try and be on top of it and break him from it as soon as you can.

Do you have any pics of your baby, it would be so much fun to see him and please please let us know more about him.

Marit

am attaching a pic of Galahad when he was about 10 weeks
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: My Old English Mastiff Puppy is eating rocks
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 06:25:11 am »
I have two 'rock eaters' one is an OEM the other is a mutt.  They usually grab the rock, act like it is a great treat to get the other over there, and then run around with it in their mouths.  This has resulted in some painful pooping sessions with me standing there helpless.  We now leave it with the rock and get a ball or stick to run around with.  I think dogs are just orally fixated and will put anything in their mouths.  Plus he is teething and testing his world.  I don't think it is breed related.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs