Author Topic: Fear of Smoke Detectors  (Read 6898 times)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Fear of Smoke Detectors
« on: June 28, 2005, 06:19:01 pm »
I finally put batteries back in the smoke detector in the kitchen after about 2 years. My 2 older dogs are scared to death of the smoke detector. Marksman is 9 and Grizelda is 11. It doesn't seem to bother the other 3 fur children.  Every time I use the broiler it goes off. Griz is afraid of thunderstorms so I can see why she might be scared. But Mark isn't scared of thunder. I try to reassure them that it's OK. Griz shakes like a leaf and Mark runs under the desk in the den. Any suggestions?
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Smoke Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 06:37:26 pm »
Dont use the broiler haha. First thing I want to say is, please please keep those batteries in the alarm, end of last year, one of our houses burnt down due to the people who rented it left a candle. It was scary to see and after that I went home and made sure all ours were working.

I set the alarm off once when cooking, I made a bon fire in the oven  :o The dogs got stressed out, because we have all our smoke/fire alarms connected, so when one goes off, they all do, and I think we have like 15 in the house. So quite noicy, to say the least. And not totally flattering having to use the fire thingie to put the fire out (need I tell, we ate out that eve lol)

I would try and not have it go off, but some dogs just hate noices like that, I have dogs that absolutely hate fireworks and thunder. But my suggestion is, be careful and if and when you set it off, try and calm them, but dont take the batteries out. All of you will be better off deaf rather than dead.

hmmmm not much help I know, but sometimes it is hard to break dogs from being scared of certain noice, so just try and do your best.

Good Luck

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 07:10:20 pm »
I don't know if this is the best advice, but I would probably keep a jar with extra special treats in the kitchen, and in addition to comforting them with words/actions, give one the special treats when you accidentally set off the alarm. That way they will at least associate something good with it even if they are scared witless. Turn something negative into something positive, you know?
RIP former BPO

Offline deafdanelvr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 07:41:10 pm »
My dane, Zeus, has a sever case of the scaredy-cats when it comes to smoke detectors. When we were living in base housing about 2yrs. ago, our smoke detector started beeping like it needed a new battery or something. It was really loud. Zeus went into full blown panic attack mode. I ended up calling matience to rip the whole thing out, when it wouldn't stop at 3am one morning. Zeus had to be medicated!! He was so freaked out by the beeping. :o

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:27:40 pm »
HaHa if your smoke detector goes off so often that it is a problem, better get a new one or train to be a better cook.  If they get upset when there is REALLY a problem you will count your blessings.

Peggy
Peggy

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:50:14 pm »
Smoke detectors going off in the middle of the night scare the crap out of me too!...If that happened to me at 3 a.m. I would want a little of your dogs medication too! :P

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 08:54:57 pm »
Dang, smoke detectors should never go off in the middle of the night unless there is a fire!! That is the whole point of a detector.  If it does for no reason - Get a new one!!!  Peggy
Peggy

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 06:27:55 am »
Thanks for the ideas. :)
 When the smoke detector goes off the hubby consoles the dogs by saying "It's OK Mommy is cooking again" ::)
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla