Author Topic: Leave that darn cat alone!!!!  (Read 4055 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Leave that darn cat alone!!!!
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:44:25 pm »
Teddy wants to love on our kitties.  Kitties do NOT appreciate teddy's lovin' ways (which so far have just included slobbering them but he hasn't yet got one in his entire mouth!)

I can yell at him to leave them alone and he will, as long as I am looking at him.  As soon as I release him with my eyes, he's after them again!  He hasn't yet really caught one, but I want him to STOP chasing them!

I thought about getting a water gun to shoot him with when he does this.  Do you think it would work?

What do you suggest? 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:46:51 pm by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Leave that darn cat alone!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:47:41 pm »
I've heard that people have had a lot of success with the water bottle/spray bottle.  I also heard that making a "shaker can" that you can rattle to get his attention works. Once he looks at you and comes over, you reward with a treat.  I haven't tried either yet, but I have two cats, so the time will come eventually. My cats don't let her close enough yet, and Piston does a pretty good job of setting her in her place without my assistace. Good luck!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:53:06 pm »
Hahahaha, you just reminded me of a Doberman we had when I was still living at home.  He loved our cat.  He would catch her and hold her between his paws and give her kisses. Oh my, she looked like she wanted to die.  She took to staying on the perimeter of rooms.  She would stay up against the wall hoping he wouldn't see her.

Oh Tina that is hyserical! Not so funny - If my girl got a cat of any size between her paws, I am quite sure she would be licking it with her teeth!

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:56:42 pm »
Haahaa, and I just wish my animals would get along....At least Teddy loves them, the cats might not like it, but its better then fighting...
Hope all go's well with Teddy and the cats...
~K

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 10:56:53 pm »
Hahahaha, you just reminded me of a Doberman we had when I was still living at home.  He loved our cat.  He would catch her and hold her between his paws and give her kisses. Oh my, she looked like she wanted to die.  She took to staying on the perimeter of rooms.  She would stay up against the wall hoping he wouldn't see her.

I think the water bottle is a good try.

Good luck.

Tina

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAA!!  Great story, Tina, just too funny! 

I'd definitely try the squirt bottle, it's always helped us get Koby's attention, and he doesn't like it one bit!  We taught him the "leave it" command, and if he were to get a little unruly (which was a lot) we'd give him a quick squirt.  Good luck!

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:53:03 am »
What a great pic!

I'd take that kitty anyday!  LOL!  Maybe he would teach Ted some manners!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:20:43 am »
All of your stories are cracking me up.  We have a cat Gracie can't seem to figure out how to play with "nicely" either.  Linus (who secretly wishes he were a dog) would love to play with Gracie and other dogs as well.  He's very social with both dogs and oddly enough other cats (again, I really think he is a dog trapped in a cat's fur) but Gracie is just so rowdy that it is too much for 12-pound Linus to handle.  So he hisses, and screams and acts as though she is mauling him to death after he initiates play.  Remember cats are very quick to manipulate everything and he totally knows that when he makes distress sounds the humans come along to 'his' rescue.  I think he likes watching Gracie being corrected.  What we do is allow Gracie to play with Linus and as long as the play is not aggressive by either one of them and we let them work out their own boundaries.  If Gracie becomes too excited and chases or corners or even puts her giant paw's on Linus pinning him down, we interrupt them.  I find it's much easier on both of them if I don't shout.  That only seems to encourage the level of excitement.  Once Gracie is calm and submissive Linus either escapes or relaxes and then we can all try again.  I can't lie.  It's totally exhausting all of us.  But so far it's happening less and Gracie is really responding and learning not to put her big paws on Linus too roughly.  So, good luck to you and your four-legged family.   
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 06:37:13 am »
We had a couple of cats when we had the shepard.  All winter they would curl up aginst the dogs belly to stay warm.

Agree with the sqirt bottle it seems to be doing a great job on Buddy.

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 09:15:23 am »
I simply had to share one of my favorite pictures. We've fostered litters of kittens and my one dog ( shepherd/husky cross) is such a mommy! She HAS to be taking care of them, HAS to keep them in her sight and loves nothing better than to lie in the room with the kittens playing around her .

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 09:49:38 am »
My oldest cat, Oscar, has always lived with/around dogs. He lets them know who's boss. My oldest dog, Max, thinks cats should play with him. He's been with us for 12 years, and still thinks that today is the day the cats will play with him  ::)

My "youngest" cat, Emily (age 12), thinks she hates all dogs. She secretly likes them, but can't let on  :D. She will follow both dogs around the house, and will hiss and spit if they look in her direction. But then she'll keep following them. She's such a drama queen!

My advice is to let them work it out, unless someone's always getting the raw end of the deal.
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina