Author Topic: Visit with the Surgeon Tomorrow  (Read 3755 times)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Visit with the Surgeon Tomorrow
« on: November 16, 2006, 12:38:27 am »
Tucker will be three in February and was dx. with bi-lat. HD when he was about six months old.  Shortly after his dx. he had his first seizure. 

Since his dx. we have done med (Metacam) management mainly because of we had poor control of his epilepsy.  We now have excellent control of his seizures and are ready to do surgery.  The surgeon he saw 18 months ago suggested an FHO.  My concern is that Tuc weighs over 80 lbs.  We are not against doing the THR but concerned with what appears to be a high failure rate.  We feel strongly that this is a one time deal for Tuc because of his temperament.  He does not do well away from us and has no use for mankind. 

We meet with the doc again tomorrow and would ask that you share your thoughts, experiences, and suggested questions.  Although they may be ready to do surgery tomorrow I don't think I am.  Having just lost my 19 year old cat Bobo last week if anything happened to Tuc it might just push me over the edge.  We are also building a pool and thought waiting until closer to spring might be better so he can use it as part of his rehab.

At this point I'm really looking for any and all advice and support.

Offline ReneeB

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kryssie is here
    • View Profile
Re: Visit with the Surgeon Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:48:37 am »
Sorry about your recent loss.  Good luck with the surgeon...I agree that spring would be a good time for rehab, lo-impact exercising in the pool would be great.

Keep us posted
Renee, (will always love and miss Brayden)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:50:40 am »
I too don't have any experience with taht procedure but I am sending tons of positive vibes to you, Tucker and the whole Brindle Pack! Please keep us posted.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:24:14 am »
Tons of good juju coming at you from me and Bella!  I agree with doing it in the spring so that you can use the pool, too. Plus, that gives you some time to mourn the loss of Bobo before putting yourself in that situation again (the fear of losing a beloved fur kid, I mean).

Good luck...
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Kirsti

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:25:52 am »
I also don't have any advice, I'm sorry for that. But I am here for support with anything you need, just ask. Best Wishes!

~K

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 03:12:00 am »
I'm sorry I don't have any advise.  Just wanted to let you know that we will be thinking about Tucker and your family while you make this decision.

I read Tuckers bio and how very special he must be to all of you.

Randy

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 04:05:36 am »
Cindy, are you going through So. Calif Vet Referral Group - Dr. Barry's group?  Dr. Vogel and Dr. Walker did Otis' total hip replacement and it was a complete success.  We only did his worst side and he seemed to be fine with just one good hip.  I would think that by doing the surgery right where Dr. Barry is practicing, he'd have excellent care. 

I don't think there's a reason in the world to rush in to surgery...why not just wait until you're ready to face his recuperation.  It's long and arduous but the pool will help to get him him and going sooner.

I'm here if you need to vent!!! ;)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 04:25:55 am »
Mari - Yes, Dr. Eich at SCVRG is seeing Tucker and when the time comes will do the surgery.  I'm torn right now as to what we should do.  Tuc is having more issues with his back right leg but I don't think I'm ready to do surgery now.  I feel so selfish... I guess if we can make him comfortable for a couple months we will wait.  If not we'll have to do it soon. 

Just rereading the above makes me feel so guilty... I know Tuc hurts but how much is hard to say.  He always wants to play and if we let him he really pays the price the next couple of days.  Then I have this gut wrenching fear of him going under the knife, the recovery, and his epilepsy....  :-[ I feel so overwhelmed.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 04:54:29 am »
Does rimadyl help relieve the pain??  Are there any other anelgesics you can use on him for the short term?

I completely understand how frightened you are for him.  It IS an tough surgery and recovery, but I do think that, in the end, he'll be MUCH improved.  I think they have a better rate of success than most other clinics so he'll be in good hands.

You and Tucker have all my good thoughts and prayers.  And if there is ANYTHING I can do to help, please let me know!!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 06:01:49 am »
Mari - Tuc had a reaction the one time he had Rimadyl so we have been using Metacam.  It had been doing the trick but over the last month or so had become less effective.

I'm getting ready to post a new update but will also let those reading this thread know that Tuc is at SCVRG having surgery now and if all goes well will be coming home tomorrow morning.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 06:53:13 am »
WOW!  Quick decision!  Fingers and paws crossed and many prayers are flying to you all!