Author Topic: bad habit  (Read 7019 times)

Offline sandyscheve

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
bad habit
« on: March 21, 2005, 07:28:26 pm »
 ???I have a ten month old Great Pyrenees who has just killed her second hen (chicken) who was foolish enough to fly over the fence into the corral.  When my husband found Becky, she was happily munching on the bird.  What can I do?  I know to clip the birds' wings, but they grow back very fast.  I really want to train the dog to PROTECT the chickens rather than kill them.

awo

Re: bad habit
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:46:43 pm »
???I have a ten month old Great Pyrenees who has just killed her second hen (chicken) who was foolish enough to fly over the fence into the corral.  When my husband found Becky, she was happily munching on the bird.  What can I do?  I know to clip the birds' wings, but they grow back very fast.  I really want to train the dog to PROTECT the chickens rather than kill them.

First, for me to give you any valid advice, I need to know what commands your dogs knows, is the dog around small animals, such as cats?  Is your dog in the house part time, or an all outside dog.  Does he have another dog around to play with and is he socialized?  I know it seems like alot, but there may be lots of different advice depending on how your dog lives.  I look forward to hearing more about your giant baby.

awo