Author Topic: Tucker is Having Surgery (Another Update 12/2)  (Read 11436 times)

lins_saving_grace

Re: Tucker is Having Surgery
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 09:33:49 pm »
I know i didn't go through the hip surgory...but Lady did have the knee ACL surgory.  It's tough.  it's not easy.  it's hard to see them have to experience this...or anything else for that matter. 
it's a long hard road.
you will get through it and so will Tucker!!!  Hang in there and take care of you and the pup!!!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 09:27:42 am »
I read this but didn't get a chance to respond to it until now.  I'm sorry that you and Tucker are going through this but so glad to hear that the surgery went well and that he is home and doing well.  I'm sending lots of healing thoughts and hugs that the recovery period flies by for you and him. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 09:39:19 am »
Aww, poor Tucker! I hope you recover fast, buddy!

This is scary. Sadie had a funny limp last week, and I took her to the vet. They said it could be her knee and that it could mean it's been sprained, strained, or even an indication of hip dysplasia. Sadie is pretty muscular and wouldn't relax her leg completely, so they put her on rimidyl. If it shows up again, they will put her under to examine her knee (so she won't be tense). Then she might need surgery. We didn't go into the specifics of it, b/c this could go different ways right now, but just the thought of it scares me! I don't want her to have to go through any of that!!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Tucker is Having Surgery (Another Update 11/20)
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 09:35:03 pm »
 I cannot tell you how happy I am that we did the FHO.  We are only day 3 of post-op but I can tell this was the answer for Tuc.  If it had been Tyra we would have done the hip replacement but because of Tuc's other issues this was what was best for him.  I can't wait to start taking walks with him again, something we have done in a long time because of the pain.

There are some things that we will have to think twice about in the future; dog beach for Tuc probably is not a good idea.  For that matter Dr. E suggests that we not take any of our guys that are over 70 lbs.  Seems that many of their emergency surgeries are from large/giants that have been at Huntington and blew out the ACL.  Apparently the sand allows for too much twisting.  Tuc will still be able to run and play but it will have to be more controlled.  We will also still have to deal with the left hip as it too has severe HD.

Thanks again for all your support.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:36:35 pm by The Brindle Pack »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 09:41:00 pm »
I'm so happy that Tucker is doing so well!!  That's fantastic news!  I was away for most of the weekend and am so happy to see that the up-date is only for cheers and toasting!  YEA!!

That's really interesting about dog beach!  Of course it makes sense!  I'd never thought of it before, though!  Sheeesh!! I guess that's why he's the dr. and I'm not! ::)

So Tucker is already putting his weight on it?  Can you start walking him out without the towel-tummy support?  Did he have the morphine patch?

I'm so happy that this is such great news!  You really needed a break!!!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »
wow - I've been away from BPO for a few days.... and had no idea Tucker was having the surgery! I am sooooo glad it all went well and the big guy is going to make a full recovery!  what a relief!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 10:16:00 pm »
So Tucker is already putting his weight on it?  Can you start walking him out without the towel-tummy support?  Did he have the morphine patch?

lol... Even when Dr. Eich brought him out he was not using the sling.  The few times I tried to use it he would just stand there.  He has been putting weight on his leg since they let him out of the kennel.  As for walks we will get to start short ones next week and then he will get to swim as soon as the staples come out in 10-14 days.

Tucker never did have the patch just some pills.  If he keeps going the way he is we will stop using those in a few days.

At this point our biggest hurdle was crossed last night.... he had a BM... lol

Anakalia

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 10:23:02 pm »
Wow, I'm glad everything's going well, surgeries can be so stressful!  I hope Tucker has a speedy recovery, sounds like he's doing wonderful.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 11:09:54 pm »
At this point our biggest hurdle was crossed last night.... he had a BM... lol

YIPPEEE!!!!

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 11:14:34 pm »
Hadn't sent a message, but been keeping track.  Glad all is going well with Tuck

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 11:15:32 pm »
YAY for Tuc and your and the rest of yours.

We are so happy everything is going so well.

Tricia and the fur kids

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 03:45:28 am »
YAY!!! good boy Tucker.  I love that first day after surgory when you just pray for poop!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Tucker is Having Surgery (Another Update 11/21)
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 10:50:52 pm »
It's going to be a LONG 30 days.  I don't know how I'm going to keep him crated or even confined to one room.  We've been doing Kongs, new toys, one on one time with the other pups and us and it's just not enough... or maybe that's the problem it's too much.  Maybe he has figured out that when he paces someone will come in to be with him and if he uses those sad I'm dying in here puppy dog eyes they'll bring me a Kong with peanut butter or a nice meaty bone.... I am such a sucker.

Any suggestions on keeping my Tuc happy?

I need to share a cute story and then I've got to get some domestics done... Scooter yesterday dragged his blanket from the sunroom to our room and camped out next to Tucker's crate.  It was just too cute.  Scooter is such a sensitive pup.  I got some pics that I'll upload later.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 12:11:06 am »
OMG, the Scooter story is one of the sweetest things I've heard in a LONG time... talk about warm fuzzies!  :)

As for our Sweet Tucker... perhaps he would like to work on a stealized bone for awhile...  I stuff them and freeze them.... tne it takes the pups a LONG time to get the frozen peanut butter out.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 07:16:22 am »
I'm bummed the two pics that I took of Scooter dragging the blanket didn't come out but here is one I took after the fact.  The second one is of them having some one on one time, then one of Tuc alone and the last is just too funny not to share, some use their treadmills to hang clothes.... ours apparently is used as a dog bed.