Author Topic: Question?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline zeus

• Gnawer
  • I didnt do a thing i swear!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Question?
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:46:10 pm »
I was curios if anybody else has run into this an if its normal. Today Zeus grabbed  a napkin an when i went to get it he started to run around the house so i couldnt get him but i finally got him by the collar an started to reach for it an he started to growl but trying to be the dominate one i still went for it an he got me on the hand not bad didnt break the skin but never the less he got me. I still didnt back down an got the napkin. Now i can total take his food an water dish when he's eating an he doesnt make a peep an 99 percent of the times i can grab things out of his mouth but everyonce in a blue moon he tries this s*** any suggestions or insight would be great thank you D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 11:49:18 pm by EastJenn »

Offline shelebo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Question?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:39:28 am »
My dog used to do this with select items (socks, towels and the remote).  He never bit me but he would growl if I tried to pull it away.  With my dog at least, redirecting him works.  I get a handful of treats, then make him sit & down (or whatever combination of exercises your dog likes to do) and then he will immediately drop whatever he has.  Then I reward him graciously.  He is getting much better about dropping stuff quickly but I don't know if I'll be able to figure out how to make him stop picking the stuff up:)

Good luck.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:53:49 am »
maybe you could try teaching him the "drop it" command?  my dogs have never done this, but we taught them that whenever we say "drop it" they have to put it down and walk off.  it works really good, also once they learn that one, maybe you could teach the "leave it" so that they know that whatever it is is off limits, and they will know you're not trying to play when you go to get it.  hope you find a solution!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline zeus

• Gnawer
  • I didnt do a thing i swear!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 12:54:24 am »
thankyou i think ill try that i know just the things !! Car keys lol always sends him to the door .

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 01:39:55 am »
he needs to be going out to work short quick obedience lessons, he also needs to be worked with as far as looking to you to be the top dog.
a good book for you to read,
http://www.katiesbumpers.com/
the monks of new skete, the art of raising a puppy and the book written by one of the monks titled
people pooches and problems
a must read for anyone with dogs.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 01:43:28 am »
Willow has never growled when I have taken anything from her - in fact I can almost stick my whole hand in her mouth without an issue.  My little Poms, though would rip your arm off if you tried to take anything treats away.  If they weighed 50 more pounds they would be deadly!

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 02:36:38 am »
Another good one to teach is *leave it* the object doesn't have to be in their mouth.

*leave it* means on the ground,on the table,on the person,wherever or whatever *IT* is don't go near it.

It has worked very well in our house.

Tricia and the fur kids

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 06:30:42 am »
We use "leave it" too. Farley was getting tested for obedience and they were trying to distract them in a sit stay by throwing food. She threw one and it landed right at his feet--he did scoop it but I yelled leave it and he spit it back out. I have to say I was impressed....l ol He did get bonus marks ;)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 08:29:04 am »
Grace's nickname isn't PIEHOLE for nothing.  everything goes in her mouth.  It really gets on my nerves and i'm not putting up with it anymore.  she's learning drop it when i can't always get to her before it goes in her mouth. she's been learning how to just leave things alone that she knows better than to pick them up in the first place.  It's a struggle...but we will over come with persistance.

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 01:44:08 pm »
From day one me and the wife have stopped this, its not a good thing, whenever Arkyd has a treat, toy ,chew or even his food at any time me and my wife HAVE to be able to take it away thats how it must be
To do this when he was young we asked him 'can i have this',no matter what it was if he growled he got a quick scruff tug and a "NO" when he let us we made him know he did good and returned it to him
If he goes to get anything that we don't allow he learned "Leave it" quickly.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 01:50:36 pm by arkydo »