Author Topic: Lets All Start a New Topic  (Read 9531 times)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Lets All Start a New Topic
« on: June 29, 2005, 03:57:34 pm »
I'm interested to see what is on everyones mind today.
(this one counts as my new topic)  ;D

Nicole

Re: Lets All Start a New Topic
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 04:02:00 pm »
Oh............ .let's see....

I'm wondering what everyone does. Like, for their jobs. Have we talked about that yet? I am an intern at the Laporte County Health Department, Environmental Division. I do water sampling in Lake Michigan. (testing for e.coli) I also wait tables at the New Buffalo Yacht Club in New Buffalo, Michigan. (Cuz being an intern doesn't feed the babies!) I'm interested in Geography and Environmental Science. My major is Environmental Management and my minor is Geography!

How bout everyone else? What do you guys do? (Forgive me if we've already discussed this!)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 04:09:16 pm »
OK, I am in - I work for a very small non-profit organization that promotes the communications technology industry in San Diego.  My title is Program Manager/Sponsor Relations.  We work with companies that have anywhere from less than 50 people up to the big guys like Qualcomm, Motorola, Nokia, etc.  We do about 100 events a year, go to trade shows, stuff like that.  Occasionally, we even get a free cell phone!  ;D

Telecom is not where my background is tho...  I have worked for Sea World of California, Blockbuster, MP3.com, and The Henry Ford.  

Who's next?
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 04:11:03 pm »
ooh...Sea World. That sounds fun! What did you do there, Bunny?

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 04:16:55 pm »
I worked there for 10 years, all in the Education Department.  I started out as a Narrator, talking about the animals on the microphone at the exhibits, and ended up coordinating their Sleepover and Birthday Party programs.  In between, I gave tours, supervised people, etc. etc. etc.

I loved it there, and it gave me some great experiences I would never have had otherwise with animals like macaws, penguins, walruses, dolphins, Clydesdales, etc.  

And if you ever need someone to talk about why being black and white is an advantage for marine animals, or describe how a sea star eats - I'm your girl!   ;)

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 04:18:58 pm »
Oooh! Fun job! I've thought about doing that exact sorta thing. I used to teach high school biology, and I thought it would be WAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAY better to do it with people that are PAYING to hear you talk! hehehe! Those high school kids could give a flying f*!@ about sexual dimorphism or budding. hehehe!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 04:29:22 pm »
Tina, stay at home mom is the hardest job of all!  

I say get Devon the light bulb for the Easy Bake Oven and let HER make dinner for everyone!

Nicole, if I remember high school correctly (way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth), I think I was too busy actually budding and trying to be sexually dimorphic to care about learning about it!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 04:34:06 pm »
This is on my mind right now although it has nothing to do with jobs or anything....Wh y does the weather keep changing? Why can't it keep to a steady temperature within like 5 degrees up or down? It really irritates me! Grrrr.....

I am also wondering why my cell phone keeps going nuts on me and my husband's phone (the exact same one) always works perfectly? What did I ever do to the cell phone gods to make them mad???

And finally, I am wondering why summer vacation always goes so quickly and before you know it you are back at work wondering what happened? Where does the time go when you are doing nothing???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 05:12:01 pm by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 04:51:57 pm »
I live in San Diego and I specialize in Business, Personal and Estate planning. My specialties are Business continuation strategies as well as employee benefits 401k, Life insurance, long term care. I also give seminars to small business owners regarding business planning and their own estate planning. All pretty boring stuff to most of the population but I love it. I have freedom to make my own schedule, spend time with my family(dogs included) and I can help business and people to survive.

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 04:59:08 pm »
I am a psychiatric social worker in the ER at a hospital in metro Detroit.  Defintely never a boring moment, and everyday is a different day.  Some days are harder than others, depending on the presenting problems that day.  I have a master's in social work and have worked at non profits and have worked for hospitals.  I prefer working in a hospital setting, just more my speed and type of work.  Over the past few months I've began thinking about a career change.  I like working with people but am interested in doing something different, but using the skills I've learned in social work. That's my big thought for the day today :)
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 05:08:26 pm »
I have worn a bunch of hats in my working career. I worked in a factory doing quality control for 8 years. Then I moved to Tn and started working for my vet in the kennel and worked up to manager of the hospital. I did that for 15 years. Then I went into repossessing cars for 1 year. Now I am a supervisor in customer service for a bank. Of all the jobs I enjoyed working in the animal hospital the best but the benefits like health insurance and a retirement plan were not there.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Siberexpress

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:13:34 pm »
I build Gunite Swimming Pools in East Tennessee.
I actually have built pools in California, New England, Portland area of Oregon/Washington, Arizona (FLagstaff and Sedona) and Colorado also.
I can do a little of everything, even helped run a private rescue for Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies for 4 years.
If it doesn't have a double coat, you are not getting enough fur in your diet.
Ken

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 05:33:28 pm »
I am a psychiatric social worker in the ER at a hospital in metro Detroit.  Defintely never a boring moment, and everyday is a different day.  Some days are harder than others, depending on the presenting problems that day.  I have a master's in social work and have worked at non profits and have worked for hospitals.  I prefer working in a hospital setting, just more my speed and type of work.  Over the past few months I've began thinking about a career change.  I like working with people but am interested in doing something different, but using the skills I've learned in social work. That's my big thought for the day today :)

So how did you feel about what Tom Cruise said????  If everybody in the hospital just took vitamins and got more exercise they'd be fine???

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 06:00:19 pm »
Wow!!!! Lots of cool jobs! I guess this is just on my mind because I'm near graduation and thinkin' about careers and what-not. Its cool to hear what everyone does. I want to make maps! Digital Maps...GIS (Geographic Information Systems) I'm kind of a dork about it right now! Its cool stuff!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 06:06:45 pm »
Today I'm wondering why Home Depot didn't show up to install the new carpet in my old apartment like they were supposed to, and whether or not they will show up tommorow for the "reschedule" when I drive all the way out there and sit around in an empty un-airconditioned house waiting for them.

I'm also wondering why my boyfriend's parent's dog Boo hates Zoey so much . When we first got her, he hated her, then she grew on her and they were best buds for months, and now he hates her again. We were supposed to dog sit him all day today and tommorow, but had to take him back because he was getting worse as the day went on and snapped at Zoey and now he's going to have to stay outside at his house while they have their floors refinished, instead of in the comforts of our home.

And here's the downlow on my job: I work in an elementary school special ed classroom. I am going back to school to get a masters so I can have my own classroom, but for now I am just an assistant. Since school got out last week, I am home for awhile working on finishing remodeling in my new house. When I'm done, I guess I'll temp for my old temp company until school starts again.

Also, I want to say for the record I am jealous that grumpybunny used to work with dolphins  8). And Jacksmom, you should get a product called auro-dry for your daughter. It clears up swimmers ear and if she puts one or two drops in each ear every time she swims, she'll never have to worry about swimmers ear again. I was a competative swimmer for 12 years so I've had swimmers ear a million times (it sucks). Hopefully she is feeling better soon.
RIP former BPO