Author Topic: Tell me about dog parks!  (Read 3761 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Tell me about dog parks!
« on: November 22, 2006, 01:00:34 am »
There is this stray thought crossing my mind....we have no local dog parks (none within an hours drive anyway) and we have an up-and-comming, growing town. 

Tell me more about leash-free dog parks!

Who runs them?  Who pays for them?  Rules?  Regulations?  Zoning bylaws?  Anything you can tell me!

Once I know more about leash-free parks, I might like to propose the idea to town council (probably thinking about biting off more than I can chew since I'm going to be a single Mom in a week, but I just can't drop the thought!)
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about dog parks!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 01:02:15 am »
I don't really know anything about how to start a dog park, but it sounds like a really cool idea! I hope you can get something started!! Good luck!!! :)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 03:52:44 am »
We're trying to get one (at least) in our area also.
We have some links on our links page with good info on starting a dog park:
http://www.southalabamadogowners.com/cms/index.php?page=links
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:30:09 am »
We go the the Hermon Dog Park:

http://www.montecitohts.org/dogpark/index.html

Technically it is in Montecito Heights, as well as Hermon, as well as Highland Park...but overall it in Los Angeles.  It borders on 3 neighborhoods so everyone claims it.  The web site above describes how it got started. It is kept up pretty nicely and has small and large dog areas.  Very nice.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:49:03 am »
We have tons of dog parks that are off leash here in Edmonton. They are run by the provincial gov. They are off leash but you must have a leash on you at all times. Or you will get a $100.00 ticket per dog. The dog must be up to date on all shots and wear tags at all times. The parks are patrolled by volunteers. We have found one park that we go to, it is mostly large dogs that are there, and there is a Tim Horton's across the street  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 04:49:57 am »
Great information and links guys - keep it coming!!!

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 04:54:10 am »
We have a mix of both privately owned and public dog parks. I prefer the private one near our house. It has a large fenced in area with a sand/dirt pit, a shallow pond with a fountain, and another fenced in area with agility training equipment. They have a wash-down area with old towels available. There are poop stations all over the park, along with faucets for watering. They also offer doggie day care and an overnight kennel. You can either pay per month or per year. The rules are:

No uncut males over the age of 7 months
No females in heat
All shots must be up to date with a verifiable source (they took my receipts from the vet)
No aggressive dogs allowed (they will be asked to leave)
No food or drink is allowed inside the park
No children under the age of 8

It is really worth the money each month. I don't know what they had to go through to get set up but we have actually thought about opening one also (briefly). My husband's only concern was how much insurance would be. Hope this helps.

April
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 09:42:30 am »
Although I take Adi to a non-affiliated dog park, you should check out milwaukeedogpa rks.org - It's run by the Residents for Off-leash Milwaukee Parks. Supposedly a group from the East Side came together to form the group and they've had success so far. I am sure if you emailed them, they'd let you pick their brains and point you in the right direction on where to start.

The dog park I take Adi to here is in Mequon, a suburb of Mke and a 10 minute car ride. The first time I went, I was totally amazed. Having been only familiar with South Florida dog parks (which are completely fenced in fields, with agility equipment, fountains, and a smaller fenced off area for small ankle-biters), my jaw dropped when I realized that a real nature park had been devoted to the dogs. Katherine Kerney Dog Park is completely fence-free, with a clearing at the  entrance for the dogs to run and play in. It then has a huge trail that goes through the woods, by a stream where all the doggies swim, and many cut-through paths/trails. When it's dry out, the dogs love to take us through the woods off the paths, creating our own. I'll tell you, it was an amazing way to see the fall colors (for the first time - ever! florida=no season but summer!).

Good luck and I hope all of our responses help. Dog parks are great for the pups and for us.

I attached a pic of one of the smaller cut-through paths at our dog park, from when adi was tiny! Summer was in full-bloom.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 09:53:49 am by LMT »
lmt.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 10:03:08 am »
Here are some pictures from the park that we take Harley to. These pictures were taken this Fall.

Me and Harley

Tim and Harley

Random Picture of Harley that I like  ;D

Nina 

Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 08:16:24 pm »
EastJenn!  Thank you so much for your offer - I would LOVE to look at your proposal!  I will PM you my email addy.

There is a large (2-3 acres?) grassy area with bush along the back, that is right beside the town soccer fields.  Its also right beside our public walking trail system.  Because of the soccer field there is already washroom, drinking water, and a huge amount of parking.  Hmmmm.....soun ds like a perfect area for a dogpark!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 09:14:30 pm »
I am a HUGE fan of dog parks and because we take the pups with us on vacation finding local dog parks had been very important. 

Now that we have a four-pack it's a little different, for that matter things changed when we added Scooter.  One of my suggestions would be that no more than two dogs from the same pack visit the DP at the same time.  The pack mentality is strong and I know that my crew when together in this environment looks out for each other.  A perfect example is how Tyra will take over the water bowl and only allows HER pack members to drink.  She also has a tendency to be the "fun police" and if one of her boys is having a bit too much fun she will intervene.  She only does this if we have more than one other dog with us.

My other suggestion is that there be NO toys allowed.  I've seen too many fights start over toys that people bring in.  There is always that one dog that is going to chase anything that is thrown and it always seems that it belongs to a VERY territorial and obsessed retriever that will fight for HIS ball.

Dog parks are a wonderful place; however, knowing dog body language is very important.  If there is a situation that you or your dogs are uncomfortable with I have found it is better to leave than to try and talk with the other guardians.