Author Topic: My New Topic - What Moves You?  (Read 11496 times)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
My New Topic - What Moves You?
« on: June 29, 2005, 04:42:19 pm »
OK Bear - here is my new topic...  

What moves you, folks?  By that I mean what music do you love?  What gets you on your feet and dancing?  What music do you listen to when you are sad?  What song can't you get out of your head?  C'mon people, tell me what you like and give me some new ear candy...

Most of the music I like no one has ever heard of, but I like all types...  For dancing, try Ozomatli, one of my favorite bands and the best live band I have ever seen.  They are from L.A, and can not be catagorized.  Check them out at http://www.ozomatli.com/

I also like everything from trip hop to bhangra to country, especially country that sounds really old and honky-tonk, like The Star Room Boys, Two Dollar Pistols and Hank Williams III.  I love zydeco, and have probably seen every zydeco act you can think to name...

OK, hit me people - who's next?
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: My New Topic - What Moves You?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 04:48:23 pm »
Too funny Grumpy! I too like everything and will dance to whatever, though I think Nickers would say that I am a true gansta since I am into hi hop, R&B, and rap also.  :D I listen to oldies (50s on) and reggae, country, classical, classic rock, alternative... you name it, I listen to it.

Here is a real question though- what gets Rangers paws dancing? Bear is a true gansta dog because he loves to move his paws to rap...the more bass and bump the better.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 05:49:36 pm »
OK.  Fun one!  My ultimate favorite of all time is Depeche Mode, because their lyrics, especially the slow songs, are not all sentimental and sappy.  Martin Gore writes really interesting lyrics, while Dave Gahan has the perfect voice.  If all the members did not combine, they would not be so great!  They have a very unique music style all their own, all original and created from scratch using sound samples from an array of sources, such as exploding firecrackers.

I have also like Paul Simon all of my life.  His voice is effortless, his lyrics are spunky and the music is both relaxing and perplexing, plus a little upbeat, too.

Tracy Chapman.  Love her.  This woman can sing.  Her lyrics are great and she plays her own guitar.  What more can I ask for?  She is one of those people who can sing like the dickins without music.

Then, there are the foreign groups I listen to:

Crvena Jabuka (Croatian), Hari Mata Hari (Bosnian), Gibonni (Croatian), Merlin (Croatian), Mana (S. American), Los Fabulosos Cadillacs (S. American), Rosanna (Spain), Rukhi Verch (Russia), and I love music from the middle East and folk music from Eastern Europe.

And, finally, the generic stuff that I bounce back to every once in a while:

Marty Robbins, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Jim Croce, Violent Femmes, Mezzanine, Talking Heads, The Clash, The Doors, The Cure, Classical music, Cajun music, Salsa, African, UB40, Tori Amos, Merrill Bainbridge, Josephine Baker, and some eighties one-hit-wonders, such as A-ha.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 06:17:25 pm »
Good topic. I LOVE music.

I love all kinds of music, but would have to say my heard lies most with "indie rock". My favorite band used to be an independant band from DC (where I grew up) called The Dismemberment Plan (they're way more mellow then their name would imply), and since they broke up 2 years ago I haven't found another band I feel attached enough to to call my favorite. I love music thats fun and funky, but still laid back (bands like Dashboard confessional or Grandaddy). I also like pop-punky type of music, and good old fashioned rock and roll. But at the same time, I lov jazz and the old standards (nat king cole and such). I'm not into today's rap so much, but old school hip-hop is good stuff. And finally, I am not ashamed to like a lot of cheesy top-40 dance music (I wear my guilty pleasures on my sleeve).
RIP former BPO

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 07:56:55 pm »
The music to make me dance is old but great, such as Aretha Franklin's Respect  or Psychedelic Shack by the Temptations.
Music by AC/DC makes me drive fast.  ;D
In general I listen to Classic Rock.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline gerry

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 08:04:59 pm »
AC/DC definitely a good band.  I prefer speed metal for speeding.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 08:19:27 pm »
Sorry, this is a long one!  See, we all have great taste in music! 

Jaba - Ranger will dance to anything that his Mommy and Daddy are dancing to, but he does like to kick it old school to Tupac's "California Love".  He also likes bhangra cause he says it sounds like squirrels (you would have to ask him about that one)!

Moonlit - We have some similar tastes - I like Paul Simon too.  "Further to Fly" makes me cry every single time I hear it, don't know why.  I love Beausoleil and Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys.  You might like this great band from Lafeyette called The Bluerunners.  Plus, I am like totally a true child of the 80's - I was in an A-Ha video (long story), and I used to work with the drummer from The Hooters.

Shangrilarcadi a - Who doesn't love cheesy Top-40 dance music?  I will be the first one on the dance floor...  What is your best "guilty pleasure" song?

Tina - I like country too, just stuff that not everyone has heard of.  Do you like Hank Williams Senior?  His grandson sounds very similar, and looks JUST like him.  Um, except for the tattoos and stuff.  Very hillbilly sounding...

K9ldy00 - AC/DC rocks!  (I am totally holding up a lighter right now!).  Seriously, they kick a**.  And, I do love the Temptations, but what about "Bernadette" by The Four Tops?  Best. Song. Ever.

OK, KPldy00 made me think of a funny story.  We have these neighbors that we really don't like all that much, and they are always out in their back yard drunk and screaming and making the dogs bark.  Anyway, don't get me started on them...  So, this one weekend morning they are out in their backyard whooping it up and listening to music, etc.  I can hear this one song come on and they all start yelling "Whooooooooooo!"  "Yeaaaahhhhhhh", etc., like they are at a Skynyrd concert.  I can just see the lighters going up in the air!  I get closer to the window and discover the song that is inspiring all this "Free Bird" type rocker passion...  "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion.  People, please!  (I mean, I am not saying it isn't a good song, but I never really thought of it as a real "Whoooooooooooo" song). 

Don't get me going on music - I can post all night...   ;D

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 09:15:39 pm »
I am an old fashoined girl and still like the music of my youth...Aerosm ith, Kansas, and most country to listen to. Used to be active in line and couples dancing to country, but blew out my knee. Due to the long ago influence of my parents, if I can get a couple of Long Island Iced Teas in me I can jitterbug and polka all night and don't care how bad it hurts. Lawrence Welk...watch out.
Stella

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 12:43:00 am »
wow there is just no way I could list what i like. I grew up in a home where my parents loved to listen to classical music, so I do love lots of classical. Also stuff like Glenn Miller Band kinda gets me going hehe. Then there is all the goodies from the 70 and 80 love lost of them since that was my time out partying lol..... I also listen to some jazz, a lot of R&B, some old disco stuff too. And of course most of the new stuff I am being fed daily by my daughter I actually like most of it.

I think I can honestly say there is very little music Id say, uhhhh I cant stand this.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 08:25:55 am »
Music has always been a big part of my life and I like to think I keep an open mind and ear toward everything. But as far as what MOVES me to.....

Dance: Latin jazz (Rueben Gonzalez, Bebo and Chucho Valdes, Chacaito), Django (Django Reinhardt, Pearl Django), Los Lobos, Big Band Jazz
Weep: Mahler's 5th Symphony, Brahm's Requiem, Nina Simone
Reflect: Chet Baker, Tom Waits, John Coltrane, film music by Jon Brion
Relax: Miles Davis cool period, Cassandra Wilson, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Hartman, Lyle Lovett
Strength: Bjork, Beethoven, AC/DC, Peter Gabriel's music for film (Passion and Long Walk Home), Queen

grumpybunny- which A-ha video? "The sun always shines.." was a favorite of mine.  And I agree with Ranger, Bhangra does sound like squirrels and it will definitely make you move your hips.

Jason

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 09:21:34 am »
I love this thread, folks.  (OK, wait a minute - I started it.  OF COURSE I love it!)  But, really it is interesting to see what people like to listen to...

Tina - No, I never lived in Philidelphia.  From about 2000 - 2002, I worked for MP3.com (an online music destination that got sued a lot  ;D), and that is where I knew Dave U. from.  He lives in San Diego now, but I haven't talked to him for a couple years...

Jason - I can't even remember the name of the A-ha song.  I think it may have been titled "The Song That Isn't Take On Me"...   ;D  It's a long story, but basically it was a concert video and I ended up at the concert in the front row and you can see me dancing in true 80's fashion at some points in the video.  Embarassing, but true!  I mentioned in another thread that I saw the documentary "Mad Hot Ballroom" recently - you would probably like it.  It has a great soundtrack and totally makes you want to dance.

Hey, Jenn.... Kaiser would love the elevator at the building where I work.  They are always playing these Muzak versions of 80's hits.  The other day I heard the Muzak version of The English Beat's "I Confess".  Random! 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 09:54:34 am »
My musical tastes vary...Everyth ing from the classical station on the radio, to old Metallica, Lynard Skynard, R.E.O. Speedwagon, The Allman Brothers, (My daughter is named Melyssa after their song Sweet Melissa) Jackson Brown, Hank Williams Jr., Dr. Hook, Alan Jackson, Meatloaf,Billy Joel, (anything off of his greatest hits...I like to have a few drinks & sing along very loudly to Piano Man!) anything Eagles!, Chicago, Led Zepplin!, old Aerosmith, & I still love the 80's hair bands,Janis Joplin!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 10:13:10 am »
Ok. You guys are gonna think Im an Old Lady but I dont recognise alot of the band eather.  :-[ I love old country Conwat Twitty, George Jones, and Don Williams are my faves. I listen to alot of 80s music since I was a teen in the 80s and 70s cause it brings back memories. I like new country too. My hubby listens to alot of harder rock and I can say there isnt much of that I like. I have to be in the mood to listen to it. My neices like all the new stuff and some of its not bad but I couldnt tell you who sings any of the songs.
My all time fav. is Don Williams though.  :P  ::)  ;D
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 10:17:50 am »
My puppies usually move me.  They brutes ya know. 
Really...they're all that matters to me and the only people who really really care.   :) 

nickerbokker

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 11:11:08 am »
Music has always been a big part of my life and I like to think I keep an open mind and ear toward everything. But as far as what MOVES me to.....

Dance: Latin jazz (Rueben Gonzalez, Bebo and Chucho Valdes, Chacaito), Django (Django Reinhardt, Pearl Django), Los Lobos, Big Band Jazz
Weep: Mahler's 5th Symphony, Brahm's Requiem, Nina Simone
Reflect: Chet Baker, Tom Waits, John Coltrane, film music by Jon Brion
Relax: Miles Davis cool period, Cassandra Wilson, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Hartman, Lyle Lovett
Strength: Bjork, Beethoven, AC/DC, Peter Gabriel's music for film (Passion and Long Walk Home), Queen

grumpybunny- which A-ha video? "The sun always shines.." was a favorite of mine.  And I agree with Ranger, Bhangra does sound like squirrels and it will definitely make you move your hips.

Jason

nice call on miles and frank!  i have a collection bigger than should be allowed for a 20yr old LOL

music-hum.....

i had over 5000 songs on my computer this time last year...then it crashed, and i lost them all.....now i have a few hundred, and here are a few names:

-not a name, but i have about 100 christmas songs that i will listen to at any time of the year to cheer me up LOL
-amos lee
-ben kweller
-ben harper
-butch walker
-Chantal Kreviazuk
-citizen cope
-COLDPLAY
-corey hart lol
-DAMIEN RICE
-david gray
-riverdance soundtrack LMAO
-eagles
-rolling stone
-rosie thomas

and im tired of this now so im done.  but you get the idea.  im in my mellow phase!  hehe