Author Topic: Lucah gets bitten!  (Read 15883 times)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
Lucah gets bitten!
« on: November 26, 2006, 03:23:15 pm »
We took Lucah to a new dog park this weekend and thought it would be fun for him.  What happened was three dogs ganging up on the little guy and one of them taking a bite out of his side.  When it happened I didn't see any marks so I thought he was fine.  Not until we got to the pet store later, we noticed a small hole in his side.We didn't even get the owner information.  Had I know that they gave him a puncture  wound on his side. 

300 dollars later and some shaving lead to the pictures below.  Lucah is pretty soar today...but doesn't seem too upset.  We almost didn't go to the vet because we thought it was just a scratch...but the skin was pulled away from the flesh so a pocket was being created and this could lead to problems.

Lucah is really tired, of course, and every once in a while he cries when he gets up.  The doctor inserted a drain and gave him a seditive.  We got an e-collar and a whole bunch of antibiotics.

I just wish I got that owners information so I could foward them the bill.  I thought about going back, but I can't be too sure which dog it was so I will have to chalk this up to experience and try to be more careful next time.

I just hope he isn't too afraid to go back. 

Make sure you are careful out there everyone.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 03:25:48 pm by Lucah's Folks »

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: Lucah gets bitten!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:09:14 pm »
Poor Lucah!  Thanks for the good warning though - we just don't realize how rough these guys can play with each other sometimes.  Thank goodness you were able to get him treated right away.  He looks like he's lapping up the good treatment and love he's getting there - those eyes say it all.  Even wounded, he's a beauty.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 07:13:03 pm »
Oh, poor Lucah!!! He looks so pitiful. Give him lots of love from us! Hope he's back to his old self soon.
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 07:32:24 pm »
one reason i avoid dog parks like the plague, first, people have no clue on body language of dogs and absolutly ignore that their dog may be dog aggressive.
instead my guys go to our kennel club in the fenced in area and run and play, only with trusted other dogs, and, we watch them like hawks and come down on them if there should be some eyeballing or challenging going on, wich so far we have not had happen.
He looks pretty sad :( hope he feels better soon
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 07:32:49 pm by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 07:33:05 pm »
How very sad for you and your dog.  Most people's dog park experiences are better than yours. 

My hubby overruled me decades ago on dog parks--we don't go.  I don't go there with friends and their dogs either because he thinks that many uncontrolled dogs are dangerous because I taught him too much about their instinctual pack behaviors.  He is a RN and has cared for the worst case scenarios.

He is curious what type of drain is being used and if your dog is quarantined for rabies or if you have some proof the dog that bit yours had been vaccinated against it.

We set up play dates at home instead with prescreened dogs.  Our homeowner's insurance covers us and the dog's owners in case of disaster.  Besides, we live in the middle of nowhere and the closest dog park is about 100 miles away.

Best of luck on the safe recovery for your dog.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 09:31:19 pm »
Oh no!  Poor Lucah!  We're sending lots of positive thoughts for Lucah's speedy recovery.  It does look like he's enjoying the spoilings (they always help recovery!).

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 09:49:18 pm »
Poor Lucah!!  He does look so, SO sad!!

I agree with SAR....we don't do dog parks either.  I've found that dogs who have a fear-based tendency to bite will bite my Newfs, I think, just because of their size.  Fortuntely, most of them come away with a mouth full of hair (lol!!) but it's enough of a warning to me that it's just not a place for a giant breed dog.  We have dog buddies that they romp with and the people who love them watch them like hawks.

Just a thought....

Hope Lucah is up and happy again soon!

Anakalia

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 09:49:29 pm »
OH NO!!  Poor Lucah!  He looks so sad in those pics.  I'm so afraid Koby would get hurt at a dog park so I've never been to one and probably never will.  I'm so sorry Lucah got hurt, I'm sending tons of get well vibes his way!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 10:21:11 pm »
Poor baby - I hope he feels beeter soon.

I stopped taking Willow to the dog park.  There were just to many close calls.  Willow likes to wrestle and body slam and she is just so much bigger then the big dogs in the park.  Also there are a lot of dog aggressive dogs and owners who sit on their butts nd eat donuts while their dog is terrorizing the park.  I have called the Great Dane Club of Las Vegas and the Obedience club so that I can have a little control over who she plays with.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 10:41:56 pm »
Poor Lucah!  I hope he gets to feeling better soon!  That's terrible that he got beaten up and that the other owners took so little care to control their dogs.

We don't do dog parks for a pile of reasons - first is that we live out in the country with TONS of room to walk and play and I have enough dogs that they are their own play group  ::)  The health and aggression issues would probably keep me away anyway if there was even a park close enough to visit.  The closest to me is about an hour away and I'm not even sure if it is up and running yet.  Finally, none of my dogs are good play group candidates anyway.  Carter doesn't seem able to read other dogs well so he rarely plays with dogs, Eider wants to dominate everyone (then again, maybe that is why Carter doesn't want to play with him) and Jesse gets too upset by change. 
Daphne

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 10:53:43 pm »
that's so awful!  i'm so sorry that happened to your baby!  mynameislola, i know it's required that your dog be UTD on shots, but i don't know if it's required to bring proof when you go to a dog park.  i sure hope he gets better soon!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 10:57:26 pm »
Awww, Poor Lucah. :( That looks painful.

I haven't taken Bubba or Lola to any dog parks. Not like we have any local ones. But even if we did I'm so worried they would both get injured. They play so rough and most dogs don't like it. Plus Lola is constantly challanging Bubba.. she would litterally get mangled if she behaved that way with any other dog.

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 11:02:08 pm »
Awwwww poor baby. We wish you a speedy recovery Lucah :-*

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 11:17:32 pm »
I am so sorry that happened.  Poor baby Lucah!!!  Lots of well wishes to him for a speedy recovery from me and Gracie.  We really hope he feels better very soon.   :-*
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Kirsti

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 11:48:38 pm »
Oh! Poor Lucah! Thats so sad that that happend! I hope he gets feeling better real soon!

~K