Author Topic: THERESAANNMURPHY and Max  (Read 3828 times)

THERESAANNMURPHY

THERESAANNMURPHY and Max
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:32:57 pm »
Hi, I'm new here so I'm still trying to figure everything out,but I couldn't help but notice your adorable "little" Saint! And so I read a few of your posts ... I just got Max, a Saint as well, about 3 weeks ago, he'll be 14 weeks on Tuesday and I'm having SUCH a hard time housebreaking! I am crate training, but he can't seem to hold it for long. He pees in his crate at night and I am left with no other to choice to give him a bath almost daily every morning ugh!!! Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated. He goes EVERYWHERE and ALL THE TIME! I take him out every few hours, only feed him and give him water twice a day, but he just can't seem to hold it, please help!!!

Thank you, Theresa

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: NILIF is really working!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 03:02:25 pm »
Is his crate to big?  there should be just enough room for him to be able to stand up and turn around. 

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: THERESAANNMURPHY and Max
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 07:29:53 pm »
Welcome! Max is so beautiful!! I love his markings! Sorry to hear that he is having trouble potty training. Have you had him checked for a urinary tract infection? If he has one, it can make it impossible for him to "hold it".

I know how it can be. My Heidi was horrible to house train. She still has occasional accidents if I don't get up in time in the morning.

Good luck with Max and let us know how it goes. And post more pics....we love pics!
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 10:54:26 pm »
I go against the grain here but I prefer to let them mature before really pushing the issue.  I crate for safety reasons, but I double crate, two crates pushed together.  One crate has the bedding, the other has papers.  If you can secure a room that would work too.  Don't withhold water.  That may cause more problems than it solves.  Take him outside any time he wakes up and right after he eats.  He's still a baby and his bladder can't hold it all night.  You either need to take him out during the night, double crate or plan on cleaning up a mess.  During the day when you are home, keep a safe area covered with papers.  He'll likely pick a favorite spot and then you can reduce the papers.  When you see him to to that spot, quickly take him outside.  He really will learn quickly, it is much a matter of learning to read his body language when he needs to go.  You can also "tether" him to you with a short leash so that you keep him with you at all times so you can monitor his behavior closely.  Relax, it seesm like it is taking forever but this too shall pass ;)
Daphne

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 11:22:28 pm »
I think Daphne has the answer.  He's just a baby-baby.  The giant breeds mature more slowly that smaller dogs...and that includes house breaking.  We didn't crate the Newfs, just kept them right by our bed.  If I heard any kind of movement at all, they were scooped up and taken out to pee.  The have been pretty reliable by about 4 - 5 months.  I know that seems like forever, but by being consistent he'll 'get it' sooner than later. Also, think about using 'pee treats'!  Everytime he's successful outside, make a fuss and give him a treat!!

He looks adorable!  I can't wait to see more pictures!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 11:23:24 pm by newflvr »

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 01:59:37 am »
Hi, your little guy is sooo cute!  The big breeds do take a while to housebreak.  I had some trouble w/ Binky (great pyr) too.  I trained her to use a bell when she had to go.  It took two solid days of taking her out every 15-30 minutes (which was grueling at the time) but it was very effective and she never had another accident!  I would make sure thast the puppy has access to water at all times though-he's going to pee anyway and drinking throughout the day is important.  I did not give Binky water at night in her crate but I did get up after 3-4 hours to take her out-she really could not hold it until she was older. Just be patient and keep a close eye on him- he'll get it! :)
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 02:55:49 am »
Hi Theresa and Max.  I'm Misty and I'm here with Gracie who is 6 month old English Mastiff.  We are actually still house training ourselves and I've come here to BPO for advice on this very topic.  My problem is I have not been able to read Gracie's body language so this makes it difficult to know when she has to go.  Basically I do exactly what everyone here has suggested to you already.  We go out to potty when she wakes up, 15 to 20 minutes after she eats and every 1 to 2 hours in between.  I have now started to even wake her from naps when it's been over 2 hours since she's last gone out.  That alone has made a HUGE difference.  We also wake up in the night to go outside as well just to insure she doesn't have an accident in the morning.  One more thing I do is I make sure she is not crated for over 5 hours (while I'm at work) and this means I come home on my lunch breaks to let her out.  Most importantly, she isn't left unsupervised as this is for many reasons.  She doesn't chew something she shouldn't and there are no accidents.  It is a long process and I know it will be temporary.  They may be large but they are just babies.  Good luck to you guys and Theresa, he sure is a cutie.  ;D ;D ;D Welcome..

Misty and Gracie.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 04:18:10 pm »
To add my two cents...

Just be consistent...w e take Lucah out every couple of hours.  At first it was after each meal and every nap and after playing.  But we have managed to figure out his schedule, though we still have accidents we are getting more and more confident.

As for going in the crate...you can place another card board box in there to take up some space if it is too big for your pup.

We know its frustating, but you really have to believe you can do it.  Your stress will only exacerbate the issue.  The dogs seem to know when you are frustrated and I think they respond to it negatively...s o always seem confident. And definately always have water available, the large breeds need it for proper joint development.

Time will pass and you will be pass this stage, so don't fret too much.  Just as a baby will go potty in their diapers, puppys will go when you don't want them to.

Keep the faith.