Author Topic: "petsafe" invisible fence collars... causing deaths??  (Read 3308 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
"petsafe" invisible fence collars... causing deaths??
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:56:51 pm »
i saw this on craigslist, and thought some of you may have heard of this.

Reply to: comm-241575311@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-11-29, 11:26AM EST

Yesterday my wife and I came home and found our 7 month old mastiff dead. Our other dog was lying beside her, licking her face. We knew something wasn't right when we open the door to the back yard and called for them and they didn't come running. I went to get them and in the dark shadows I saw my baby lying in a very unnatural position with her buddy right next to her. I tried to think of a story to tell my wife so I wouldn't have to break her heart, but I couldn't come up with one. I told her Roxy was dead. Then I began the process of determining what happened. How could this have happened? She was a healthy happy baby girl, full of life, such a giver of joy.
I tried my best to remain calm and search for a reason that this happened. I had to get my neighbor to help me. It appears that she was strangled by her collar. It had been pulled so tight, with such great resistance that it ripped in half. Both of our dogs wear the "petsafe" invisible fence collars. On these collars is a small black box with two small prongs that protrude about 1/2 inch. The prongs are not sharp but rounded. When we removed Roxy's collar, the prongs were punctured into her neck. There was a good amount of blood. Our other dog had blood all over her neck and face but no wounds. I believe what happened was that Hurley's box became tangled in Roxy's collar and as the two of them pulled and struggled to free themselves, Roxy's collar tighten’d up so tight that it forced the prongs into her neck. I think Hurley continued to pull away and probably dragged Roxy around a little while, creating so much tension that the collar ripped in half on the buckle. It is so brutal to imagine this occurring but I cannot see another way this happened. I am a trained investigator and like to think that I am fairly decent at putting things together. With the way the collar was and the marks it has on it, I feel certain this is what happened.
I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of this happening. I have heard of the collars malfunctioning and burning the dog but Roxy definitely was not burned by the prongs. The Vet looked at her and did not find any evidence of teeth puncture wounds so I know Hurley didn't fight her and do it on purpose.
My wife and I do not want comments on what we "could have" or "should have" done, we are emotionally drained. Believe me, we can't stop thinking about the "what ifs". The hardest thing I have ever had to do is see the pain in my wife’s eyes when I told her the news so please keep the bashing to you.
We would however, like to hear if this has happened before. We would also like to caution others who may have two or more dogs wearing those little boxes. It is possible for them to become tangled together.
Thanks for listening.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: "petsafe" invisible fence collars... causing deaths??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:20:59 am »
That is horrible.   :-[ :-[  When Gracie and Beaux play together we do take off their collars if they seem to be playing pretty hard.  The story I just read is exactly why we do that.  My boyfriend was the one who actually had a situation (nothing as horrific as what happened to Roxy) similar where the dog's teeth were tangled in a collar.  Such a sad story.. My heart goes out to that couple and that poor baby.   :'( 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 12:41:57 am »
although i can see it happening, i've never heard of it, so i figured if anyone has they might write them a quick note. 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 12:06:44 pm »
OMG That is awful.  I M SO SORRY

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 09:03:38 pm »
so so sad  :'(

I think this is an important reminder/warning for those of us with multiple dogs.

I also think collars should not be worn by dogs that are home alone even in single dog homes and NEVER should they be worn in a crate.

Offline mamadoglewis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 09:41:56 pm »
Keep  in mind as said above that it is any collar not just underground fence collars. We have two small paws who were playing in the yard several years ago and somehow one got their jaw hung in the other's collar. If I had not been in the yard with them, we would have had a similar situation to the one above. Now I only buy the quick release collars for them and try to make sure that all collars are properly tightened as well as keep an eye on everybody when they are playing.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 10:44:25 pm »
That is so sad!  My uncle had a Maltese, Charlie, that he adored.  A month ago he came home and found Charlie hanging from his patio table, hung by his invisible fence collar, dead.  He was under the impression that these were supposed to be safe.  He was devastated, he went out and bought the break away collars and put the "box" on these instead (he also had a Bichon Frise and a mini Schnauzer).

That is such a sad story.
I am kind of a big deal!