Author Topic: How cuddly are Newfs? Do they like to sleep with you in bed?  (Read 10538 times)

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: How cuddly are Newfs? Do they like to sleep with you in bed?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 01:38:15 pm »
From what i've learned they are cuddly to a degree, ours like to lie down near you on the floor but doesn't really enjoy to sit with us, and at night theres no chance for one its just too hot for em and secondly i don't know if i want 150lbs of fur sleeping with me when he gets big

But on the flipside sometimes he'll follow my wife around the house moaning and groaning , she finally worked out that he didn't need to go out not hungry not playful he jus wanted a big old hug

Offline Happypaws

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 12:17:55 am »
Shelby is 19 months now and she does get hot indoors.  Likes to rest on the back porch when she's too warm... can watch over what's going on in the pasture 'cause it's elevated.  She wants to be where her people are and where the action is too.  The dining area is best as the floors have linoleum over the carpet (great for reducing carpet cleaning from muddy winter paws), it's cooler, and the living room is right there.  She absolutely LOVES to be snuggled and relishes every chance she gets, but when she's warm, she has to cool off.  She gets to go with me to work and is polite when people greet her.  She also seems to know children are delicate and is somewhat restrained when they come to pet her... ie no paws, less licking.  She loves my grandkids.  She doesn't sleep ON the bed (we only have a queen sized and the cocker has dibbs) but sleeps in the bathroom on the linoleum again when she's warm or in front of the constantly running fan.  She pants and paces from the door to my side of the bed when she has to go potty.  Wakes me up instantly!  If I could speak for her I'd have to say she will take all the snuggling she could get, especially if the temps were below freezing!!! ;D

Offline MooseOnTheLoose

• Gnawer
  • Me & Moose
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Therapy With Crystal
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 04:26:22 pm »
Newfs have gorgeous dispositions.  They are friendly, loyal and want to be the center of attention. My Newf comes up to me and puts his paw in my lap or leans his head on me when I'm watching t.v.  I have a Saint and he LOVES getting into bed---they've got fantastic dispositions, as well.  that IS a specific trait---Newfs are certain kinds of dogs, and their kindness and love is their hallmark.  They're hairy though!  Get ready for hair in the bed...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:27:34 pm by MooseOnTheLoose »
"[He] possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices." --Lord Byron on his Newfoundland friend, Boatswain.

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 05:48:43 pm »
My newf mix loves being in bed...and tends to be a bed hog! She passed out last night dead centre of bend and left no room for anyone else.

Offline Mari

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 01:24:22 am »
Actually we have a cavalier king charles and his name is Snuggles because he is the ultimate snuggler.  He insists on not only sleeping in our bed, but under the covers. I know a newf won't stand for that.  I know what it is like to be searching for the dog of your dreams.  And we have just put a deposit on our first newf puppy.  I think the cav and the newf have very similar personalities.  Best wishes in your search.