Author Topic: What to give a miniature dog?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
What to give a miniature dog?
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:40:59 am »
My brother-in-law and his wife just got their first dog, a Shih tzu puppy, small enough to cup in your hands (probably 5 lbs as a heavier approximation). We're getting her a Christmas gift of course but have no idea what to give a small puppy. We only have experience getting gi-normous dog toys for Rosie.

What's a good toy/treat for a miniature puppy?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What to give a miniature dog?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:45:28 am »
My Boston Terriers always loved stuffed squeaky toys.  I also had one that loved tennis balls and would pull the covers off them so I got her racquet balls and she loved to play fetch with them.  Mainly anything a big dog likes just on a smaller scale.  However, for mine I still had to get the toys built for heavy chewers.  Hope that helps.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 05:59:28 am »
two words-growth hormones!

Haha, seriously, my parent's Shih-tzu (used to be mine, they took custody when I joined the Air Force).  He loves balls!  (his own and the toy kind!) :P
One of his faves is the basketball!  He is quite skilled and directing it all over the yard.  It is really funny!  Stuffies are also always a favorite!
I am kind of a big deal!

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 06:14:49 am »
Thats a good question, I see tons of little mini bones and that sorta stuff, there kinda cute being so small, haahaa...

~K

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:13:39 am »
They sell toys specifically made for puppies.  They look like something Playschool would make, and I know Petsmart sells them, Petco probably too.

A fav of Gunther's was what looked like a teething ring made of rope with 4 rubber ball things on it for them to chew on.  But they make a whole series of things just for puppies in bright colors.

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:16:45 am »
Aww I want pics of the puppy if possible! ;D

Definitely small squeaky toys if you can, maybe a coat for the winter, and probably teething toys as well. I know i've seen puppy kongs in the stores. Why not give that go?
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:59:34 pm »
I think what a tiny pup needs is a big brother or sister of the giant breed variety - I vote for a Dane.  What about that one in the shelter in GA?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 12:25:46 am »

Amen.  Losing shoes is a fate worse than death.
omg ha ha ha too funny!  i would vote for a tiny kong!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]