Akitas > Akita Discussions

axle bit me

(1/3) > >>

schelmischekitty:
ok, so i go to the store, and come back then as normal i put the dogs out.  axle got his paw stuck in between the boards of our porch (i don't know how he got his 2-3 inch pad stuck in a 1 1/2 inch space) and was flipping out, he twisted his leg and was going to break it with his flipping.  when i saw that, as STUPID as i was, i tried to grab his butt to push him the other way to keep him from breaking something, and when i did he took my whole forearm in his mouth and bit me, breaking skin.  he's never bit, and i know he didn't mean it, he was just hurting, but i've never been bit by a dog, so now i'm nervous around him even though i'm trying not to be and he knows he hurt me, so he's really jumpy around me, too.  has anybody had this happen, and how did you handle everyone being so jumpy / nervous after the accident?

kathryn:
First off let me say I'm so sorry that you got bit and I hope both you and Axle are okay.  I've never been bitten by one of my dogs but I have been bitten by one of my cats before.  I have also been bitten by a couple of different animals at work.  What I do is take some time and remove myself from the animal for a while even after cleaning the wound.  That way it gives me time to settle down and the adrenaline to wear off and the same for the animal.  Then I try and act like nothing ever happened but I definitely continue to monitor the animal for awhile.  It's hard to relax at first because you will keep replaying that event in your head but you have to try and keep your feelings muted for both you and the animal to be comfortable with each other again.  Distancing myself from my fear and feelings helps.  This is only what has worked for me though.  I hope you feel better soon.   

schelmischekitty:
porch is actually on our to do list for this weekend, hubby and i both agreed when i called him it is getting done NOW.  i'm definitely going to redo his obedience, i know he was sorry now b/c i just let him inside after a "calm down" period and he did a "woo whooo wuff" (aka, "i'm sorry mom") and gave me a kiss, which made me feel a lot better.  i appreciate both of your advice, it's nice to have good advice and not the "you need to get rid of him" my parents would have given.

Kermit:
A very similar thing happened to me a long time ago. I was bitten by one of my Siberian Huskies when she was tangled up in her tie-out cable. I was trying to get her untangled and the cable must have squeezed her somehow (she was all wrapped up in it) so when she felt pain she just lashed out and bit whatever was in front of her face-- my arm.

Honestly I didn't hold it against her at all, I knew she did it because she was hurting. I didn't take it personally, and I just got her untangled, and went and took care of my bite with some ice. After I took her back up to the house everything was normal again and our relationship didn't seem to change one bit. I don't even think she really knew that she had bitten me.

I hope you can come to terms with your dog really soon. I'm sure Axle never meant to hurt you. :)

lshelley21:
Definitly put an ointment on...but be forwarned my pup is allergic to bacatracin...s o do be careful

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version