Author Topic: DibbyDog has it's first rescue.  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
DibbyDog has it's first rescue.
« on: December 02, 2006, 01:19:18 am »
Hey Dibbydog has it's first rescue. She is an 8 wk old siberian/Alaskan husky. (I haven't seen her yet we are picking her up today) Tim got an email from a friend, her daughter brought home the puppy from the pet store that gave it away for free. She has a heart murmur and they can't sell her.(GRRR puppy mills) (If she hadn't taken her they would have put her down) They can't keep her, they have 2 dogs, one is a rescue from the same store. The friend said the breeder won't take her back because he/she can't wait for her to grow out of the murmur. How can breeder not care for this puppy!  >:( Anyway we (Dibbydog)will take care of her and find her a good home. We are going to get our vet to check out the murmur, I am not going to take the breeders word, saying that she will grow out of it.
Anyone know anything about heart murmurs?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: DibbyDog has it's first rescue.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:21:18 am »
i know i had a cat who died exactly one week after we found out.  she was really skinny, and inactive, she was only 6 wks old.  it was hard to get her to eat, all she wanted to do was sleep.  i've also met dogs who it didn't affect at all, except they got out of breath really easy.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

chaosndestruction

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 01:57:11 am »
My 4 year old stallion was born with a heart murmur. It was gone by the time he was 3 months old and it didn't seem to affect him at all!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 02:27:33 am »
I am hoping that it is a low degree murmur, I don't want to take the breeders word for it.
We let the girl that works at this pet store know that if this happens again we will take any pup in need to our rescue. We are in touch with other rescues as well, so it won't be a problem placing them in rescue. The dog she has, had a bad ear infection and now walks with its head slightly tilted. They were going to put it down becasue of this!  >:(

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

mjjensen

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 03:14:18 am »
Hey Dibbydog has it's first rescue. She is an 8 wk old siberian/Alaskan husky. (I haven't seen her yet we are picking her up today) Tim got an email from a friend, her daughter brought home the puppy from the pet store that gave it away for free. She has a heart murmur and they can't sell her.(GRRR puppy mills) (If she hadn't taken her they would have put her down) They can't keep her, they have 2 dogs, one is a rescue from the same store. The friend said the breeder won't take her back because he/she can't wait for her to grow out of the murmur. How can breeder not care for this puppy!  >:( Anyway we (Dibbydog)will take care of her and find her a good home. We are going to get our vet to check out the murmur, I am not going to take the breeders word, saying that she will grow out of it.
Anyone know anything about heart murmurs?

Nina
  I know a little about murmurs,what I learned from Max's situation, and I was told that in pups that age it's not all that uncommom and as the heart develops they may grow out it. From what I understand murmurs are caused by a heart valve that is not functioing properly or other heart anomalys and there are several grades, from minor to severe. I hesitate to say too much because I'm not a vet and I can only relay the information I got while dealing with Max but from what I was told, dogs can often live with minor murmurs with no outward effects, moderate can often be managed with medication, and severe can possibly be dealt with by surgical means as in Max's case. Hope that helps.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 03:37:30 am »
I am hoping that it is a low degree murmur, I don't want to take the breeders word for it.
We let the girl that works at this pet store know that if this happens again we will take any pup in need to our rescue. We are in touch with other rescues as well, so it won't be a problem placing them in rescue. The dog she has, had a bad ear infection and now walks with its head slightly tilted. They were going to put it down becasue of this!  >:(

Nina

when i read that i thought they had changed their mind and were going to put it asleep instead!   :o  i'm glad i reread it!  i'm so glad she's going to be safe now!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Boo-Damphir

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 03:43:24 am »
Congratulation s on the rescue!  We've got paws crossed that the kiddo has a mild one that will be outgrown soon.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 12:32:15 pm »
Thanks for all the info, we pick her up tomorrow so I will post some pictures. I am going to make a vet appointment on Monday and we'll go from there. In the mean time I am going to read up on murmurs and learn as much as I can.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)