Author Topic: Fairly New Mom needs help  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Fairly New Mom needs help
« on: December 02, 2006, 12:56:39 pm »
Hi I'm Mom to Butt a 3 1/2 (??)yr old Saint Bernard,plus a zoo full of birds.I'm his 3rd home,I was told.The woman we got him from in March was getting rid of him because she moved to an apt and didn't have room for him anymore.She said she had him for a yr and had got him from a Saint rescue.My now ex husband brought him home,I am in no way a dog person.That was until I met and fell in love with Butt!!! When my ex moved out Butt stayed,because I was his choosen person.In the last mth we have started having aggression issues with people who visit ie: barking,growling,tonight he even showed his teeth when he growled at my Mom.I believe it is probbaly him saying this is my house,my Mom and my birds,so just leave.I was wondering if this behavior is common in Saints?? Second issue we are having is him not wanting to eat.He was eatting Ol Roy dry mixed with a can of Ol Roy wet.In the last week he has really tapered down on not eatting.Monday he didn't eat at all.Tuesday we went off to the Vets.The Vet feels he may have a food allergy and inflmamed bowel syndrome.He switched him to Eukanuba dry and wet.He is also on Reglan,15 mg twice a day and Pepcid Ac 20 mg once a day.The Vet has me mixing 3 cups dry to 1 can of wet.Since Tuesday I have been getting him to eat it if I offer it on  my hand and slowly move my hand into the bowl and sneak it out once he is eatting.Even that way he has only ate about 3/4's of it.This afternoon when I was getting ready to feed my birds he came in actting hungrey.I mixed 2 cups dry with 1 can of wet.He ate it all!!! Tonight after the birds went to bed he was sniffing around again,so I mixed 2 cups of Ol Roy and 1 can of Ol Roy up to feed him.I have it all here and didn't want to just throw it all away.And figured it is cheap if I mix it up and he doesn't want it.Well he did eat it all again!!! So are Saints picky eatters??Prone to food allergies??How much should he eat in a day??How often??And what kind of food do you feed or recommend?? Any info you give will be greatly appreciated,I love this boy dearly!!!!!
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Fairly New Mom needs help
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 10:01:17 pm »
Ditto the Old Roy comment, IMHO its contents are inadequate.

What are you doing to correct the dog when it misbehaves?
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 10:31:42 pm »
He is very limited on his basic training.I can get him to sit for a treat,but that is about it.I'll get rid of the Ol Roy,I didn't know it was that bad.Ideas on books,videos or websites to help with training him? When the food from the vet runs out he recommended either Science Diet or Purina,thoughts on that?? When he misbehaves I tell him no and try to reassure him that everything is okay.It doesn't do any good,so I have to lock him in my bedroom while I have company.He is my first dog,if you guys will lead me in the right direction with him I will follow,I can't imagine my life without him.Thanks-Michelle

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 01:25:24 am »
First of all, hello and welcome to BPO! You've come to the right place! There are many kind and knowledgeble people here to help you :)

Aggression is not really common in saints, and I belive it has more to do with his personal history than his breed. Since he has been through so many homes, it is entirely possible that he was abused or neglected in the past, and odds are that he was not trained or socialized. Lucky for him he has finally landed in a loving home :) There are three things you need to do to help eliminate his aggression: become an alpha, train him, and socialize him.

It is really important that you teach Butt that you are the alpha dog - the leader of your pack (family). That way he knows to respect you if you tell him to back down, and he also knows that he doesn't need to protect you because you are the protector not him. There are many things you can do to establish your dominance. Some of the biggest ones are:
  • Make him do a sit/stay before he eats, so he knows you are in control of the food. If he doesn't stay, take up the food and try again in a few minutes. He can't eat until he listens to you... And if he is growling at your mom and she is over often, make sure to have her feed him sometimes, so that he knows she is also in charge of the food.
  • You are supposed to eat meals before he does
  • Don't feed him table scraps - if you want to give them to him, don't feed them from your plate, put them in his bowl
  • You are supposed to walk through doors before him
  • If you establish eye contact with the dog, the dog must avert his gaze first. If you blink or avert first, it makes him think he is dominant.
  • He is not supposed to sleep in your bed or on furniture
  • You should pet him only when you decide to pet him, not if he is asking for it (if he asks for it and you give it to him it makes him think he is in charge of deciding when he gets attention, and is thus dominant).
  • Don't play tug of war unless you know you will win. If he wins, it makes him think he is dominant
  There are other things you can do to establish dominance, but those are the main ones. I know it sounds intense, but you have to remember that dogs are pack animals and they want to know their place in the pack - if they think they are higher than humans, that is what causes aggression. Also, once you have established your dominance you can lax up on these 'alpha rules'. I established my alpha role with my saint when she was a puppy, and she still respects it so I don't need to follow all those rules (and trust me, I break about all of them ;) ).

One of the other things you can do for Butt is teach him basic obedience. You can either enroll in an obedience class, hire a trainer, or teach him yourself (you can find out how to teach pretty much every command either here or somewhere else on the internet). If you decide to try on your own, let us know and we can help you find out how to teach these commands. Some of the most important commands are:
  • sit
  • wait/stay
  • down
  • leave it/take it
  • heel
  • come
These commands to keep your dog safe. They can keep him from getting into trouble, ingesting bad things, and getting hurt or lost. Teaching obedience also reinforce your alpha status. There is a great training philosophy called "Nothing in life is free" (nilif) that basically says in order to get any reward (food, petting, walks, etc) your dog must first obey a simple command (ie "sit" or "down"). It really helps cut down on aggression by enforcing pack heirarchy.

Also, make sure you a firm voice when giving a command or a correction - if you are timid, and gentle with your corrections (ie, reassuring him everything is ok when he has just growled) it makes him think he was right to be scared or protective.

Another thing that will help cut down Butt's aggression is socialization. Part of the reason that he is acting out might be fear from being improperly socialized as a puppy.
RIP former BPO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 01:41:54 am »
As for the food issue, I am glad to hear that you are getting rid of ol roy. I could post some articles about how bad that food is that will blow your mind :o

I don't know if saints are prone to food allergies per say, but I know that my saint zoey has food issues, and I remember that bubba does too (he's another saint on bpo). Saint's aren't neccessarily picky eaters but like any dog, they are much more likely to eat foods with a strong smell. So that's why butt prefers the wet food, and also why he ate the ol roy (ol roy adds pungent aromas to get dogs to eat it). I know when Zoey gets bored of a food, all I have to do to get her to eat it is add a tiny treat of dog-freindly food from the fridge (a bit of cheese, a scrap of leftover meat, a scoop of yogurt, etc). They also make special toppers for food. But you might luck out and find that when you switch foods he will magically love the new brand.

Speaking of switching foods, do you know about doing it slowly? It's really important for dogs, especially ones with sensitive stomachs and IBS, for dogs to switch slowly. You are supposed to switch over 10 days ideally. So day one it's 90% old food 10% new food - day two is 80% old, 20% new - etc, until you end up with 0% old 100% new.

You asked how much food a saint should be eating - it really depends on how much they weigh and what they are eating. Higher quality foods have less filler and junk in them, so dogs need less of them to be full. Higher quality foods cost more per bag, but they eat less of them so it really doesn't cost more in the long run. They are much more nutritious and especially important for dogs with food allergies and health problems. There are a lot of great articles on here about selecting a good dog food, and if you tell us what is available at your local pet store we can help you read the labels to find the best one :)
RIP former BPO

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 03:33:17 am »
I agree with Shangrila,NILIF is a great way to put a dog at ease as to where he belongs and what is expected.

By the Way NILIF means nothing in life is free.

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm is a web site that explains this idea.

I'm glad that Butt (I like the name also) found you as his fur MOM.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 11:51:34 am »
Thank you all soooooo much!!! I wish I had come here sooner,never thought about a chat for dogs,since he is my first.On his name he came here with the name Max,but after constantly having him run into my butt when ever I stopped I started calling him Butt and it stuck.He really is a good boy and does listen to me,but I am very slack with him.I will try to teach him basic obiendence on my own.Money for training isn't an option right now.And I will ead up on the NILIF to try and be the alpha leader here.I have let him be the boss,since I am single and want his protection if someone I don't want to come around ever does.I never thought he would act like that with company.Social ization could be the hardest thing for him.I live in a town where I don't know very many people and a few of them he has already scared off.My Mom lives in a different state so she may not be back to visit for another 6 mths or longer. As far as his food goes,no I didn't know about the slow transition.The Vet said to start him out that night on the food he sent home with me.Today he ate lunch and dinner with no issues,so I am grateful to that.I have plenty of the dry food from the Vet left,but only 5 cans,so I will  need to get him some more in the next day or so.I have most of name brand pet stores in my area as well as a few other mom and pop places,so I should have many choices.I will try to go check out what is available tomorrow.Ideas on what I should be looking for would be a great help.Oh and what kind of treats,I've been giving ol Roy treats too :(Thanks again for all of the help,you guys are great.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 11:22:51 pm »
Welcome to the board!  Can't wait to see pics of Butt!  LOL!  His name makes me giggle!

I'm Penny, mom to 11 month old Teddy.  Teddy is my first dog too (and I'm also single but with kids). 

There is so much to learn isn't there?  I think obedience is especially important with a dog this size!  Teddy has basic obedience but it all goes out the window if we see another dog or person that might pet him (in a good way though, he thinks everyone should love him!!)  The obedience is something you can do at home and it will really make a difference!  Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted on your progress!

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!