Author Topic: Picking up Polar tomorrow  (Read 3457 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Picking up Polar tomorrow
« on: December 07, 2006, 11:43:46 pm »
Well, I am up here in Portland and I will be picking up my new big baby tomorrow.  I am really excited!!!  Worried though because I have never had a deaf dog before.  It will be great to have him home.  I sure hope the other dogs feel the same way.  Willow is so spoiled I am not sure she wants to share the love.  Anyway, My daughter wants to change his name.  Here are the names on the table: Radar, Wolf Gang, Thorn, Van Gogh.  And other suggestions would be welcome.  I told my daughter that we could change his name every week as long as we keep the sign the same - he won't know.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: Picking up Polar tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:12:50 am »
Awwww!  Congrats!  He is sooooo cute!  I think someone already gave you the website for deaf dogs.  I have a deaf dog and it really isn't much of an issue.  You really will figure it out quickly.  I am careful to let Carter know where I am (he is a working LGD so he is outside) when I come into his enclosure.  As soon as someone is in his enclosure, he keeps close tabs on them so it isn't an issue any more.  He's VERY visual.  You can't rely on calling them so there are times you need to go to them and make them aware that you are trying to get their attention.  That website really lists some great ideas.  Carter feels movement so I will stomp on the ground or rattle his fence sometimes.  He's learned a few hand signals and is very attentive to look to me for direction.  I think you'll find that Polar will learn to look to you more than Willow does.  It does have advantages.  I can call Carter "Lovemuffin" and his dignity isn't compromised because he doesn't hear it  :D
Daphne

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 12:14:05 am »
Wow, he's just too adorable!!  Congrats on the new baby!  I don't have a deaf dog, but I do have a deaf cat and we just had to tweak things a bit, using touch to get his attention or squirt of the water bottle when he's being bad, ect..we still talk to him all the time though! lol  You'll get used to it.  Polar looks like a total love bug and I can't wait to see more pics of him.  I'm REALLY not good at name suggestions, it took us over a month to come up with a name for our cat.  I do like the names you have picked out. 

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:44:18 am »
Awww Polar is just so sweet. I am so excited for you. Can't wait to see more pictures. I am horrible with names. so Iam of no help there ;)

Kirsti

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 12:53:49 am »
Awww I can't wait to see more pictures of your new boy! he's a cutie!!

~K

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 01:08:33 am »
Hey, ya know what? I haven't ever had a deaf dog, but I did have a deaf boyfriend once. So, I had to teach the dog signs so that the boyfriend could control him while I was away. He learned the signs QUICKLY and I found that I preferred them to the voice commands. He responded to the signs way better than the voice commands. And the best part is that a sign is a sign is a sign...there isn't any inflection or different voice tones from person to person.

You will get it and Polar will help you. It will rock and you'll be so impressed with how awesome your baby behaves and pays attention! I think that it made Bo a MUCH better baby because he really always knew exactly what I wanted!

Good luck and I'm so excited for you to get Polar home!!!

chaosndestruction

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 04:49:25 am »
Ooooh! You are sooo close to me! I'm only an hour away right now!

Good luck!!!! I want to adopt a deaf dane someday hopefully in the near future!!!

And he's sooo cute!