Author Topic: first night  (Read 5155 times)

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
first night
« on: July 01, 2005, 08:05:36 am »
well... can't ask for much more than a 6 week old puppy that whines before she whizzes. ;D Unfortunently, I spent all night on the couch trying to get to her before she did it. ha ha ha... boy is the hubby cranky today! I was reading all the stuff on potty training and everyone says that as long as I take her out every two hours, it should be a cinch. Well, I was taking her out every hour (being she is only 6 weeks old) and she was still getting over on me. However, she did actually hit the newspaper I set down a couple of times. Which I thought was quite good, considering the owner did no potty training at all. And this was her first night.
ahhh, the joys of motherhood. My son is 3 and still doesn't #2 in the potty all the time. I hope I do a better job with the dog.  :D

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: first night
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 08:21:59 am »
Every hour.Consider yourself lucky when Spotakiss was a pup I had to take him out every half hour and then at night it seems like every two.Yes for some reason,maybes hes lonely,he gets me up still.My 3 year old whos almost 4 still does not use the potty.I know its bad but he just refuses.He will stand there on the floor and pee.Im going to be home for three days this weekend.Im going to try it again.Wish me luck.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 08:27:11 am »
At night my guys were in a crate with a lot of newspaper spread across the bottom.  They had quite a few accidents in the first week or two at night but now they won't even think about going in their crate/bed.  It saved me a lot of sleepless nights and now they have their own safe place.  Since I work all day, for their first month with me I would crate them all day and come home at lunch for a potty break.  So they only had to hold it for four hours at a time during the day and 8 hours at night.   This routine also helped them learn day from night.

;D ;D ;DI am a huge fan of crate training. ;D ;D ;D
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 09:16:12 am »
Every hour.Consider yourself lucky when Spotakiss was a pup I had to take him out every half hour and then at night it seems like every two.Yes for some reason,maybes hes lonely,he gets me up still.

Sorry, this just reminds me of Sanity so much.  He'll wake me up at least twice every night with his big ole' head right in my face and start wuffing.  If I don't get up he'll start to fidget and talk to me and if I STILL don't get up he'll bark and howl.  When I do get up to let him out all he does is stare at the door and lean against my leg talking to me.  How can you get mad at him for wanting to spend time with his mommy?

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 01:48:12 pm »
good luck jules!
JM, ha ha ha, my son already pees outside...

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 01:51:44 pm »
Lucky you.  Grace took forever to pee in the grass.  :) 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 01:52:20 pm »
They don't stay that little that long...man how cute.  :)  And so alert looking.

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 01:55:39 pm »
she is mighty alert - when she is awake. ha ha ha, after keeping me up all night, she is enjoying the day (sleeping it away in the shade). She is a sweetheart, I am glad I got her (but then again, I am only on day 2)  ;)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 02:00:10 pm »
At least yours sleeps at night.  Grace only thinks she needs 4 hours of sleep.  and she gets that during the day.  :)  I keep saying she'll grow out of it.

nickerbokker

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 02:37:44 pm »
angus was a GREAT puppy...he NEVER peed in his bed (maybe twice at MOST)...he would wait until i opened the door, take 2 steps out, and pee on the floor :)

and no, he doesnt sleep either.  he is getting better with age, but NEVER slept as a puppy.

i also had to take him out every 15-30 minutes for the longest time...i still have to take him out every 1-2 hours or he'll let loose....its swell.

but hes worth it, and felony will be too!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 08:52:57 am »
Those are adorable head-shots of little felony.  May I ask what camera/lens you are using? 
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 09:04:55 am »
A couple of things:

1) I'm shocked that you have a 6 week old puppy.

Responsible breeders NEVER let puppies go before 7 weeks, and most keep puppies until 8 to 10 weeks.

2) Plan to spay early. By or before 6 months is recommended. Your pup is better off is she is never allowed to have a season, and this also prevents any possibility of an accidental breeding.

3) Train early and often. Look NOW for a puppy kindergarten class, and plan to go through a minimum of 3 8 week courses before the dog is 18 months old.

4) Confine well. Get good fencing if you don't have it, and get padlocks for your gate. It is the unusual Rottweiler that will tolerate strangers on  it's property if you are not present. Padlock all gates, and keep them that way.

5) you might enjoy my puppy training article. Many have found it helpful. Feel free to print it out and use it. It's located at http://www.animalforum.com/dpuppy101.htm

Best of luck with your new puppy.

:D

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 01:28:29 pm »
ah, she is a sweetheart. Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to read it. I didn't get her from a breeder. I got her from a friend who was quite eager to get rid of the little ones, she got them thier first set of shots and then said I could pick her up. I am currently checking into classes.

Moonlit, that is just my little cheapy digital. I believe its an HP photosmart.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 07:05:03 am »
Definately shocked.   a GOOD breeder won't let puppies go till at least 8 weeks.