Author Topic: A Rant and a Question  (Read 3445 times)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
A Rant and a Question
« on: December 05, 2006, 10:29:36 pm »
 The neutered male Lab at obedience class doesn't like him either.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:13:16 am by 2Criminals »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: A Rant and a Question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:50:13 pm »
i've met dogs that it helped calm things down getting them fixed, and i've met dogs that it didn't change a thing, because they were softies to start with!  sorry i can't help more on that, but what a butt head at the park!  we had a similar experience last time we went when a guy had his dog off leash and it was running up our butt.  people with "normal, non aggressive" dogs like a lot of people call them (labs, goldens, etc., not stereotyping but a lot of people think they can do no wrong because they're "normal pets" and not bullies etc) are sometimes very inconsiderate, and ignorant.  BPO'ers are just special, i wish we all lived in one town!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:59:19 pm »
some people are just d***s

i've had a couple of similar moments not with arkyd but when walkin my step dads lab mix,being british lol i normally say  "sort your dog out its pissin me off"

that fixes it for me normally, especially with the clueless ones
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:59:51 pm by arkydo »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 11:03:24 pm »
I think having an intact giant breed is tough because most smaller dogs with 'attitude' see him as a challenge.  Before I had my first Newf, Otis, neutered, he was attacked all the time by other dogs.  Once the deed was done, things were much calmer.  There would still be the odd problem but it was much, much less!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 03:33:36 am »
LOL!!!  Maybe it would help! 

It's hard enough to control a giant breed puppy with out having to put up with the antics of other dogs!  Maybe keep him out of the dog park until a couple of months after his snip.  It takes a while for the hormones to get out of his system.  I HATE it that you have to worry about these big guys getting hurt!!

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 03:53:49 am »
I just thought I'd insert my POV.  Personally I think it is the owner of the aggressive dogs responsibility to take control of their pet when it becomes aggressive.  Dogs can't talk so we'll never really know what makes them tick or sets them off.  All we can do is be aware and educate ourselves.  Last weekend we took Gracie to the dog park.  I noticed an older boxer was showing aggressive behavior to all the other dogs but not so much to Gracie as she just never really showed the boxer any interest.  Naturally we just kept our eye on that dog to try to avoid any problems.  Next thing we knew there was a full out dog fight happening with the aggressive boxer and my precious baby Gracie also only 6 months old.  As fast as my heart jumped the fight was broken up.  I do have to say that in the boxers owners defense she did rise to the occasion and laid her dog down in a submissive position though I felt after that she should have just take her dog and left.  She didn't but at the very least she did discipline her dog in a very quick manner.  Oh, neither was hurt fortunately.  My point is, I totally think the entire responsibility lies with the owners no matter if the animal is in tact or not.  So Phelans Mom, I'm sorry your baby was picked on.  But glad you were there to be the responsible pet owner.  Too bad that Laberdoodle isn’t so lucky to have a more educated owner.     
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:11:33 am »
Thankfully we have enough land and enough pups to have our own dog park- I cant imagine how tough it would be to go and get into a situation like that- In Jakes case, he would be the bully. Jake is neutered and he is still a major alpha male. It has literally taken 3 mos to get him and Garrett in the same room with out me having to be concerned. My fingers are crossed for you, Liz, on your house. Hopefully Pheeny will have his own back yard and soon.