Author Topic: Oasis can't hear anymore :-(  (Read 9599 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Oasis can't hear anymore :-(
« on: July 01, 2005, 09:36:34 am »
I've come to realize in the last few days that my 12 year old collie/golden retriever mix, Oasis can't hear anymore. He's been kind of spacey lately and I attributed that to senility setting in, and every once in a great while he will have some incontinent problems, but the last couple days, he doesn't come when I call and yesterday my husband forgot his key to the front door so he had to sneak in through the garage - not an easy task if could see all the junk in our garage. He said when he finally got in the door, Oasis was staring into the front room towards the front door and didn't even realize he had just walked into the kitchen.

It's sad for me. I've had him the longest of all my dogs. I got him from someone who had rescued him from an abusive situation when he was just a few months old. Oasis and I have been through a lot together - even moving from South Dakota to Texas to Louisiana together. He has made friends everywhere he went - from the 80 year old "Uncle Gus" at our apartment in Houston who used to throw malted milk balls up to him as he sat on our balcony to a little white dog who would come paw at the door to our apartment to play with Oasis when we first moved to Louisiana and now all the kids in our neighborhood who knock on our door and ask, "can Oasis come out and play."

Now, day to day, I can see him winding down toward his final time with me here on earth. No matter how I try to prepare myself, it's not going to be easy.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Oasis can't hear anymore :-(
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 09:41:18 am »
Strength to you and your family, and enjoy to the fullest the time you have left. SOme of my greatest memories of my dog Max were made when he neared his end.

We will meet again.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 04:27:16 pm »
I am sorry to hear that your little boy is having troubles :(. Have strength and know that he has (past and present) a good life with you. Even through his health problems, he will be strong with you at his side giving him love and affection.
RIP former BPO

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 05:00:33 pm »
What a coincidence.  My 11 year old Cocker Spaniel is recently deaf as well.  We've only noticed it within the last 3 weeks although it may have been fading for a while.  Duke has always been a "strong willed" dog that never really listened but now we can come home from work and he's not there to greet us anymore.  It seems like it happened over night.  On the bright side, he now sleeps soundly and doesn't get his sleep interrupted by sounds and my big Saint Max barks right in his face and I'm sure he's kinda glad he can't hear him.  Your dog is only 12 so you could have 4-5 more years or more with him.  Enjoy him.

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 06:10:29 pm »
It seems like their hearing is the first thing to falter. When my older dogs lost their hearing I started using some hand signals so I could still communicate. You can teach an old dog new things. Decide what signals mean what and be consistant. Also teach anyone else in the family the hand signals and what they mean. Keep it simple. They can still feel vibration, so to get their attention I would stomp the floor. My dogs were around for for 3 or 4 more years, so it feels good to still communicate.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 11:35:26 am »
Tina - I think you expressed that perfectly. And, you're right - I need to remember as I am showering extra affection on Oasis, that there are other dogs that need my attention as well.

and K9ldy: I have noticed that if I drop something heavy on the floor, Oasis will notice it. I thought maybe he still had some hearing (and he may), but the vibration of it is probably what he is sensing more. Thanks for that insight. I'll use that more often now.

It is really amazing to me how adaptable dogs are. I've seen it so many times in rescue - from having a limb amputated to recovering quickly to abuse or new situations to something like suddenly dealing with a loss of hearing. I know 99.9% of the human population - myself included, probably, could never adapt as quickly or with so much acceptance as these animals. We could all learn alot from them.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 04:10:34 am »
I am resurrecting this topic to share a funny, related story. I got home about 11:30 the other night and realized as my friend who had dropped me off was driving away, that he also had my house key with him. Oasis saw the car drive up and the other dogs run to the front door so he knew I was home and started barking at the door like he always does.

The only way to get into the house, then was to go through the garage, which is filled with all kinds of obstacles. I made all kinds of racket trying to get through the garage to the door to the kitchen. That door sticks, too so I have to give it the ol' heave-ho with my shoulder to get it open. Mia was right at the kitchen door waiting for me.

Poor Oasis, oblivious of the afore-mentioned racket, was still in the front room staring at the front door with such an eager intensity, it almost made me cry. I stood right behind him calling his name and he didn't turn around until I touched his back.  :'(

I guess it's official now...

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 04:16:22 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about Oasis. He's one precious pup. I would have loved to see his face while he was waiting for you.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 04:22:51 am »
Oh, jj, that is both funny and sad... 

I have been there and I know how hard it is...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 04:27:52 am »
we love em no matter what stage of life they are in.  It's all part of what makes them special...no matter how much it hurts us...we're there for them just like they are there for us so much.  :) 
Hang in there pup!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 04:39:50 am »

One thing to remember is dogs live in the moment.

He does not mourn his hearing loss. He does not waste time wondering why. It just is.

We humans could learn a lot from that. He won't waste one second of his life worrying about being deaf.

Live in the moment. Make each one count, and take lots of pictures. You will never have too many photos once he is no longer with you.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 04:40:53 am »

One thing to remember is dogs live in the moment.

He does not mourn his hearing loss. He does not waste time wondering why. It just is.

We humans could learn a lot from that. He won't waste one second of his life worrying about being deaf.

Live in the moment. Make each one count, and take lots of pictures. You will never have too many photos once he is no longer with you.

:D
that is a great way to look at it.  Makes me feel better about my Missy when she was sick.  She never complained...j ust loved me till the end. 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 04:43:22 am »
You are so right, Red! I am well-aware that I mourn the loss of his hearing more than he does. He no longer can hear me when I say, "NO!" or "Stop whining!"  ;D

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 04:54:37 am »
Just enjoy every single moment with him. I am sure that you already do.  ;D Tim's parents dog has just recently lost his hearing and he doesn't really seem to notice it. He is still full of life and he is also 12years old.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 04:56:47 am »
Raven is losing a bit of her hearing as well, she is 10. The good news is that she is no longer frightened of thunderstorms, firecrackers or cars backfiring in the distance. The bad news has been pretty thoroughly covered :( .
Stella