Author Topic: Newfies and linoleum  (Read 3932 times)

Offline louisa

• Gnawer
  • Oscar and his rat
    • View Profile
Newfies and linoleum
« on: December 07, 2006, 11:36:19 pm »
Greetings, everbody.  I'm thrilled to find a blog for large breed dogs!  We have welcomed Oscar into our home -- a 64 pound, 5 1/2 old month puppy.  Oscar has been with us since 12 weeks of age.  He is so sweet and cuddly and we love him dearly.  Here's my dilemma:  Does anyone else have trouble with their newfies walking on lineoleum/tile floors?  Oscar slipped on a linoleum floor a few weeks ago and his feet went out from under him (like a cartoon dog on ice).  Since that time, he's afraid to go to puppy training, the vet's, my office... anywhere with linoleum floors.  It's gotten to the point where he's even afraid to ride in the car because their might be linoleum at our destination!  We've tried coaxing him with treats, toys, and end up having to carry him.  In a short time, this won't be possible.  Any advice/help you can offer would be great.  I look forward to reading and sharing on this blog.  Thanks.

Offline ReneeB

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kryssie is here
    • View Profile
Re: Newfies and linoleum
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:17:54 am »
Welcome, Oscar is a cutie...I too have a newf and tile and lino floors.  Brayden slipped a few times but eventually learned to slow down.  I do have to say that he is a bit timid of 'unknown' surfaces now.  Maybe you can assist Oscar on the floors by supporting most of his weight, holding him under the tummy or chest and rear, at the same time reassure him that it's okay and hes a good boy.

Bray has an awful time getting up after laying down on slippery floors, he just cant get his feet under him sometimes.

Good luck

Renee
Renee, (will always love and miss Brayden)

Offline louisa

• Gnawer
  • Oscar and his rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 12:29:03 am »
Thanks, Renee!  I'll give it a try.  Bray and Max look great together.  Oscar's brother is a basset hound named Fred.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:31:54 am »
It is so hard to watch them ice-skating on lino or wood floors.  At home, use rubber backed area rugs in the places he walks so you can 1) protect his joints...slipp ing and sliding isn't at all good for him and 2) allow him to gain trust again in surfaces.  As he gets stronger in his joints and muscles, he'll be better able to control his feet and won't slide so much.  Also, make sure that you regularly clip the fur between his pads so that the pad surface can remain in contact with the floor.  Just like with humans, the pads can get sweaty and are better able to grasp the surface of slippery floors.

The more sure of himself he is at home, the more likely he'll be able to adapt when you take him out.  Lots of treats are great with lots and lots of positive encouragement.

Good luck and I hope to see LOTS of pictures of Oscar!

Offline louisa

• Gnawer
  • Oscar and his rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 12:45:06 am »
Thanks for your response.  The puzzling thing is we have only hardwood floors at home and he shows no fear of them (?).  I will work with him, though, as you suggested.

Your boys are very handsome...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 01:12:11 am »
Thanks! Newfs are love magnets!!!

Sometimes, wood floors aren't as slippery because are rougher (thanks to doggy claws, ALL our wood floors now are rougher ::)!! than lino).  Our first Newf, Otis, HATED shiny floors because he was extremely displastic.  At one of our friend's houses, we actually had to drag him around on a beach towel because he REFUSED to put paw to floor.  The visual of my 6'4" husband pulling my 165 pound Newf-boy around on a beach towel still cracks me up.  And Otis held him self with such dignity on that towel he appeared to be a Royal Newf!!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 04:00:10 am »
You could also try a harness (one with a handle on the back back) and a towel so you can hold him steady. Try walking him between two people as it tends to make them feel more secure.  Practice at home and work your way up to other places.  Hopefully he'll come to learn that shiny floors aren't bad.  Also remember to think positive and be confident.  You may also want to buy him some non skid carpets for at home.  Good luck!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties