Author Topic: Gauge is causing trouble...update  (Read 10874 times)

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Gauge is causing trouble...update
« on: December 08, 2006, 02:58:54 am »
I dont if its just that Gauge is so hyper and high strung nad Grey and Zeus are the completely oppisite or what but he is making them mad. Now Zeus loves playing with him and they always play tug together but then Gauge goes too far and gets Zeus mad and Zeus puts him in his place. When Grey sees Zeus putting him in his place, he joins in and goes after Gauge. Also Grey doesnt like it at all if Gauge gets in my lap. Grey will stand there and grumbe at him and bits him on the back of nis neck till he gets off my lap. Is this normal pecking order or is there more to this?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:25:14 am by Blair »

Nicole

Re: Gauge is causing trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:46:06 am »
Hmmm....

I honestly am not any sort of multi-dog household expert or anything...hah aha, but I'm going to just throw some things out there.

Gauge is...9 months? It could be that he is starting to be a "man" and losing the puppy priveleges that he previously had. The other boys are telling him "Hey. You're not a baby anymore, now act like a big boy and don't P*SS me off! Oh, and get off my mom. You don't need her anymore, you aren't a baby, now go away."

He's not neutered, right? I only ask this cuz I know you're planning on showing him. That could be another thing. At his age, he's definitely going to start smelling more like a man if he isn't neutered.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if Grey and Zeus are neutered. They'll probably work it all out.

But, like I said...I'm not any kind of expert...these are just my ideas.

Good luck...you're an awesome doggie mama and I'm sure you're going to make it work and get all those boys happy and lovin' each other again.

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:52:30 am »
Thanks Nicole :) That does make a lot of sense. I figured it had something to do with him getting older and not nuetered but wanted to make sur it wasnt something I should be worry about. When they put him in his place it sounds a lot worse then it is. They make a lot of noise but never really bit or attack him. And after they put him in his place he calms down till he gets his burst of energy again LOL Im telling you all he looks so sweet and innocent in his pictures but he really is the devil :D But you just cant help but love him

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:53:06 am »
I think Nicole hit it on the head...he's had his "puppy license" revoked. They'll put up with a lot of misbehavior from a pup, bbut once they hit that magical age, the older dogs will let him know in no uncertain terms that he needs to toe the line.

As far as the lap-time, that's pecking order right there. Apollo is convinced that Onyx shouldn't be allowed in my lap, and he'll grumble and growl and glare to try and make him move. I put him in a down stay and continue to love on Onyx. Once Onyx is done (never takes him very long, he get's too hot laying on the couch) I'll invite Apollo up and let him have his time.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:59:43 am »
Now that you both mentioned it I do notice them treating Gauge differently. They use to let him run all over them and all that puppies do but they dont let him do that anymore. It amazes me how dogs react with each other.

None of the boys are allowed on the couch, but Gauge puts his 2 front legs on my lap and rest his head in my lap. So when Grey grumbles at Gauge when he gets in my "lap", do I correct Grey and keep petting Gauge?

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 04:44:11 am »
Blair, i hope its nothing, but this is what started to happen with zero and Memphis.  it started out with memphis grumbling to put him in his place, etc. and then zero got ticked off and it all goes down hill from there... so im HOPING, thats not the case with your boys. having 3 intact males can make things scary. only have zero unneutered now, mem was neutered in march...  but it didnt help at all. things got worse...
Anyways, good luck :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 05:05:15 am »
Both Grey and Zeus got neutered

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 05:15:52 am »
oh i didnt know. sorry ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 07:07:42 am »
this happens a lot in our house.  caine has lost his "puppy passport" and all privileges that go along with it now that he's hit puberty.  it's all just a lot of noise, and pinning down and mouthing, but nobody has ever gotten hurt in our house.  they really do pick at caine though, i guess because he's the most submissive.  we just keep them in check, and don't let them pick on caine too much, and it stops and then they're all good.  we have 2 un-neutered males, and then axle and sheeba, but other than the picking, they get along great.  with ours i think it's just a "lets pick while he's down" because caine flips on his back for any dogs.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Gauge is causing trouble...update
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 10:28:45 am »
I was in the bedroom and the boys were in the kitchen for night time. I heard the most awful sound ever!! Ben said Zeus was laying down and Gauge was playing with his bed when Zeus attacked Gauge, the sound was awful!!!!!! I was so scared. Gauge wasnt hurt but I did put him in his crate for night night time. It sounded a lot worse then it was, Ben said if Zeus really meant it he would of hurt Gauge but he didnt so he was just putting him in his place. I sure hope they work this out soon!!

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 11:04:10 am »
Farley and Puck have been going throught something similar for the last few months too. They sound horrible--partly because Farley screeches ::) There are teeth showing and nashing at each other. Farley actually got a small cut on his head from Puck--nothing serious--no stiches or anything. If Puck really wanted to hurt him he would have by now.  It is totally Puck saying I will be top dog here "mister"

I hope all works out for you Blair....

p.s. Are you ready to trade yet ;)  We just moved into a dif house :)

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:02:41 pm »
We are going through the same thing here. Not quite as ferocious since it's male/female.

Lola's puppy pass has or is running out. She's 8 months old now, I thought it would have ran out sooner. But Bubba is constantly pinning her down and she fights like the dickens. She's definitely trying to take the 'top dog' spot from Bubba. He actually had her by the back of the neck and shook her (scared the crap out of me), she yelped and he let go and stood over her. She just layed there so he walked away and she got right up and chased after him nipping his legs and then the process repeated itself.

I usually just end up stepping in and making them both lay down or it would never end. Lola will NOT give up on her own and I can only take so much. lol
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:04:54 pm by Lyn »

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 10:09:08 pm »
Lola will NOT give up on her own and I can only take so much. lol
Its like that here with Memphis and zero. Zero wont give up... he just kinda grabs memphis by the leg, which sends memphis falling ontop of him, which makes zero more mad... the only place memphis can grab is zeros neck/head... almost took his eye out once...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

chaosndestruction

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 10:54:37 pm »
Keela's losing her license too! Every time she runs past Tiki he has to grab at her neck and pin her down...He hasn't ever hurt her but it sounds AWFUL. (Tiki even when playing sounds like he's going to murder you or the other dog he's playing with)

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 11:02:42 pm »
We have that here too, the three dog household, someone has to be the top dog.  Our rotti is the oldest so he is the top dog, everyone else has to fall into line.  Our girls try in amongst themselves but Joy always wins, so far, But wait Amy will eventually be the biggest, so I am interested in what will happen when that happens.  She is alreadly the same size as the other two dogs.  And she is only four months old.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com