Author Topic: HELP! Foster/Temp home needed for St. Bernard  (Read 2884 times)

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
HELP! Foster/Temp home needed for St. Bernard
« on: December 08, 2006, 10:40:41 am »
Hi everybody I REALLY need your help and ideas.  For the past two weeks my back has been really acting up and finally landed me a stay in the hospital for a few days.  Now I'm staying with family and facing the fact that back surgery is in my very near (within a month) future.
    Here's the problem I have a wonderful St. Bernard child named Thor who is just over a year and is used to living in the house, or laying out in the yard, now that it's cold lol.  My family won't let me have Thor at their house, not even out in the yard.  For the past two weeks he's been staying at the humane society because they also board dogs but I think that's horribly unfair to him.  I've asked all of my friends that have dogs and they aren't big fans of his drool and shedding.  He is honestly very dry for a saint, mostly he drools after getting a drink lol.  I don't know what to do!  I don't want to give him away permanently but right now I can't take care of him since I'm supposed to be laying in bed or standing up, no sitting, bending, lifting etc.  I would welcome ANY ideas. 
     He is good with small dogs and cats, shy around big dogs till he gets to know them better.  He knows how to sit and "drop" which is his cue to lay down.  His bad habits are: counter surfing, getting into the garbage but only if he's left alone, and having a lot of "puppy" energy lol.  Overall he's a very good boy but does need to be crated when no one's home. He's UTD on all of his shots and is neutered.
    I just hate not having him here with me but I don't want to kennel him for the next month either.  If anyone would take him, I am more than willing to pay for his food and send his crate with him.  Please let me know of ANY ideas.
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Foster/Temp home needed for St. Bernard
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 11:34:47 am »
Oh dang! I wish I were closer to you, I would totally try to help you out! :-[ But I am in GA!
I hope someone can help!!!!!!! Hang in there, I hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!! :-*

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:15:35 pm »
Have you tried contacting your Vet to see if they know someone who would be willing to house him for you?? And with all you have going on with your back already PLEASE do not forget to put everything in writing,how long they are to have him,that you want him back,what expenses you are willing to pay,who will be responsible for any damage he may incur in the home he is staying in,what happens if he bites someone,what happens if he becomes ill,etc....Think of everything possibly can and put it in writing.I'm over in Ohio or I would offer help from me or one of my friends.I wish you all the best of luck with him and your back.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:49:34 pm »
Where are you located?

Weedsport, NY

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:19:41 am »
I am going to e-mail you, okay? I might be able to help.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."