Author Topic: Single Newfie Mom  (Read 3242 times)

Offline kiki12584

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Single Newfie Mom
« on: December 09, 2006, 03:44:58 am »
Is it possible to raise a newfie alone in my DC apartment with a 9-5 job? Any suggestions? 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Single Newfie Mom
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 04:05:12 am »
I would think that it would be next to impossible to have a puppy, but an adult dog (i.e., a rescue) could adapt.  You'd have to spend a lot of time in the beginning, though, developing a bond and training him/her so that the rules were clear.  A good brisk walk before work and another after work would be a really good way to handle any excess energy. 

Just my opinion, though... ;)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 04:21:52 am »
I would think that it would be next to impossible to have a puppy, but an adult dog (i.e., a rescue) could adapt.  You'd have to spend a lot of time in the beginning, though, developing a bond and training him/her so that the rules were clear.  A good brisk walk before work and another after work would be a really good way to handle any excess energy. 

Just my opinion, though... ;)

IMO I think that applies to any puppy, an adult would be by far the greater choice, also pick a time you have holidays so the first couple week(s) he/she would fall into a routine, we adopted Libby when she was 3yrs and really for the most part she naps a good part of day now, we don't have to worry about potty breaks, chewing etc... not to mention she already came spayed which is a bonus...
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline kiki12584

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 05:56:24 am »
isnt it hard to get an adult to bond or no?  I thought after 18 mo. a newfie gets super depressed if he has to leave.

Offline kiki12584

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 05:58:56 am »
how much a month do you think it would be?  I dont mind to pay a dog walker - I am basically willing to do anything so that I can have a happy companion. 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 01:08:01 pm »
how much a month do you think it would be?  I dont mind to pay a dog walker - I am basically willing to do anything so that I can have a happy companion. 

We adopted Cowboy when he was 18 months...and there couldn't be a closer bond than Cowboy and I.  As I write, he right next to me with a paw across my foot.  We are always right next to each other.  I think it depends on the dog, but galaxe who just got Grizzley/Izzy (a 3 1/2 year old Newf) will say that he's already bonded as well. 

For the best info., try contacting the Newf Club nearest you and ask them about the Newfs in rescue in your location.  Here in So. Calif., we have many Newfs who are in foster homes.

Good luck and keep us posted!