Author Topic: Dog ramps and such  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Dog ramps and such
« on: December 06, 2006, 05:12:26 am »
It's that time of year again when we load up the truck and head 700 miles north for Christmas. I think Oreo loves to go on this annual trip because he gets to lay in front of the fireplace at my parents' house and roast his bottom. My dilemna this year is that he is increasingly having problems getting in and out of my truck. He seems to be reluctant to jump in or out and I think it is hurting his joints. If it is only once in a while, he can usually do it, but on a long trip like this, he will be in and out of the truck at least 6 or 7 times.

So I think it is time to get a ramp or other device to give him a little help. I constructed one from wood a few years ago that sort of work, but it proved to be very heavy and awkward to handle so I ditched it. Does anyone out there have a suggestion for a ramp suitable for large breeds. It doesn't even need to be a ramp... a 6-8 inch high platform would probably help tremedously. Oreo is a bit skittish, so my criteria is that if I would feel unsure/unsafe on it, he will hate it. Also, portability and economy are important too.

Thanks for any advice.
Jason

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Dog ramps and such
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:07:37 am »
Holy crap! The laundry basket is a great idea. Does it really support a 130 lb dog? I guess a heavy duty version probably would. Tomorrow, I will be making a visit to Target to step on some laundry baskets. While I am out, I'll visit PetSmart and see what they have on the shelves.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. And keep them coming. I love hearing how other people find resourceful ways around challenges.

Jason

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:02:31 pm »
We also have the telescoping ramp from "DogRamp.com".  With four dogs, one with severe hip dysplasia, a good ramp was a must and this one has been excellent.

There is not anything that the ramp connects with or rubber feet but we have not had a problem with shifting.  We have a Suburban and place ours at the door not the tailgate.

We also use ours when traveling in the "doghouse".  None of the dogs like or will use the narrows stairs so it has worked out great.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:39:45 pm »
We have the metal one from Petsmart. We love it because it is sturdy so we never fear that Bear will fall from breaking it.  :D Also, it is really easy to get in and out of the car.

By the way, nice to see you Jason. I miss seeing pics of you & the handsome Oreo.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 05:16:18 am »

By the way, nice to see you Jason. I miss seeing pics of you & the handsome Oreo.

Jamie,
I try to check in every once in a while to see what's going on. As far as posting pictures of Oreo, he has become rather camera shy in his old age. I'll see if he will pose for a picture tonight.
By the way, the site looks great. You and Michael are doing a great job. And Bear looks as awesome as ever.

Jason

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 05:18:14 am »
fumble has the Petsteps... it only took him six months to figure them out, but i think he's got it noW! heheh!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!