Author Topic: Giant Schnauzer and owner new here!  (Read 18871 times)

Offline IzziesMom

• Gnawer
  • Izzie Loves Her Toys!
    • View Profile
Giant Schnauzer and owner new here!
« on: December 10, 2006, 05:07:04 pm »
Hi there!  I am a giant schnauzer named Izzie (short for Isabella) and I was adopted from the local shelter a couple months ago.  I was surrendered because my owners said they didn't want me because I was "untrainable"!!  I am just finishing a beginner's obedience class and now I know how to sit, shake, lay and I will roll over if there is enough room!!  My new mom is sort of at a loss because she has never owned a BIG dog....I just had my first birthday and am growing just like my vet said I would. I have gone from 39 lbs. to 52 and it looks like I am in a growth spurt right now!  I do get bored easily and look for things to do....Any suggestions?  Thanks!!  We (my mom (Jeanie) and I are happy we have found this site!!  We are going to post pics later next week!!
Mommy of "Big Girl" and Woo....and the other furry creatures, Kitte' and Mousie in the house.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Schnauzer and owner new here!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 09:22:18 pm »
Welcome Izzie and your mom. Thats awesome that your new mom adopted you, sounds like you've come along way in a short time, keep up the good work! I hope your mom finds many new friends here on BPO its a great forum, cannot wait to see some pics soon.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 09:29:48 pm »
Welcome Izzie and Jeanie!  It sounds like Izzie found a great home!  Yay!  You'll love BPO--it's great here!  We can't wait for pics. :)

Sasha and Bella (newfie girls) and Jessica

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 09:46:25 pm »
Welcome! Can't wait to see pictures of Izzy, I bet she's a doll!

~K

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 10:01:48 pm »
welcome!  do you have a kong?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline IzziesMom

• Gnawer
  • Izzie Loves Her Toys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 01:19:19 am »
Yes, we have a kong (suggested by our obedience trainer) and also just found a 12-in rolled rawhide.  Izzie was chewing through the 8-in rawhide in a week or so~

Thank you for your suggestion!!! :)
Mommy of "Big Girl" and Woo....and the other furry creatures, Kitte' and Mousie in the house.

Offline ReneeB

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kryssie is here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 01:30:39 am »
Welcome Izzie and Jeanie...I am Renee...I belong to Brayden, newf and Max, bullmastiff.  I am sure you will love BPO there are a lot of great people and doggies here with lots of information to share...And most important PICTURES :D...we all love pics of pups.  Can't wait to see Izzie.
Renee, (will always love and miss Brayden)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 03:03:17 am »
Yes, we have a kong (suggested by our obedience trainer) and also just found a 12-in rolled rawhide.  Izzie was chewing through the 8-in rawhide in a week or so~

Thank you for your suggestion!!! :)

we have problems keeping rawhides, too, we had one the size of a baseball, and solid, and it lasted 3 hours.  hmmmm some more ideas might be...  the almost indestructable ball from petsmart... or nylabones last longer, if you can find them in a big enough size.  i know they come in 8" lengths.  or maybe the Galileo nylabone, it's a lot thicker.  there was also someone with a newfie (can't remember who it was) who had a HUGE rope ball, i don't know if they made it or bought it, but it was soooooo huge, and it'd last forever i bet!  there's also a thread somewhere with some really touch toys someone had put a link to.  wubba toys??  something like that, i'm sure somebody knows what i mean!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 06:36:36 am »
Welcome to the site. I am Paige. I share the residence with 3 Danes, 3 Great Pyrs, a Newf mix and some littles ( including a Bassett hound) I am glad that you found this site. Its a wonderful place to meet new people and get great info, like the frozen peanut butter in the Kong.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 08:12:17 am »
Welcome to the site.  I'm Kat and my three demons disguised as angels are Cinder, Kaila, and Shiner.  We have one of the giant rope balls and it has stood the test of time around here.  If it lasts longer than an hour I'm happy.  Shiner's new favorite toy is a big ball attached to a rope.  I have had to replace the rope once already and he's had it a week and I'm getting ready to replace the rope again.  Please post pics as we all love pics around here.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline IzziesMom

• Gnawer
  • Izzie Loves Her Toys!
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Izzie
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 01:25:04 am »
 Izzie weighed in at 60 lbs. just before Christmas so she is having growth spurts.  Our vet said this would happen.  When I adopted her, her ribs and hip bones were showing so I am not surprised that she is gaining weight.  It has now been almost three months and her coat has turned shiny black (as opposed to the previous dull coat she had)!

I have a new problem to ask you---now that Izzie has grown taller and can survey the countertops in the kitchen (can you guess my problem?)...she is helping herself to cookies that are there cooling on racks and to trimmings off a steak, and I caught her eyeing a 16-lb. turkey a few weeks ago.  I have scolded her and tried to reason with her and if she wasn't so darn well fed, I could say she was hungry! Has anyone else had a problem with their BIG DOG puppy grazing the countertops in the kitchen (and I haven't even tried to set the table with food yet!)?!!
All suggestions are most welcome!!   ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 02:25:01 am »
ha ha ha most bigpaws will counter surf if they have the opportunity!  mine have a good old time, so i just have to watch what i'm doing!  the best way to remedy it is just to avoid putting anything tasty on the counter, especially if you're not in the kitchen!  if you ARE in the kitchen, a stern NO, and maybe a sit stay would work, or maybe the almighty squirt bottle with ice water in it, along with the NO. 
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 02:18:19 pm »
Sorry I didn't welcome you 2 sooner! I'm Marissa, mom to Dolly a Saint Bernard and Zoey an Alaskan Malamute. Zoey loves to counter-surf if I let her! I always just tell her no and push her away. Glad to have you here!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 02:26:56 pm »
welcome! first i have to tell you how much i LOOOOOOOOOVE Giant Schnauzers!!!! Maybe one day... not a mini or a standar... gotta be a Giant :)
Im Jodi, owned by Memphis a 3 year old fawn Dane male. Zero a 2 year old Brindle & white bull terrier boy and Jigsaw, our newest addition, a 10 week old white Bull Terrier girl. 
The people here are VERY helpful and will drop what they are doing just to help out. So dont be shy... and we LOVE pictures :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 04:23:58 pm »
Sorry I have not welcomed you as of yet.  WELCOME fellow Giant Schnauzer owner!  You will love this breed.  I have Hugo is will soon be 4 y/o.  Welcome!!
Shellie~
~SHELLIE & HUGO~