Author Topic: Advice on Dogs in bed...  (Read 7308 times)

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Advice on Dogs in bed...
« on: December 11, 2006, 10:37:07 pm »
Hello all,
I have a mix and a Saint. The mix came first and sleeps in bed w/ us- he is about 50 lbs. My Saint will start off on on the floor on her dog bed but in the middle of the night she jumps on our bed- if we tell her to get down (which usually involves getting out of bed and sliding her off) she will lay on floor again for 1/2 hour or so and jump back on bed. After repeating this 5x's we just give in and let her sleep there so we can get sleep. Any advice on what to do?? My husband and I, a 50lb dog and 110lb dogs is not too comfortable in a queen size bed :-\ Should I not let Willy- the mix sleep in our bed anymore?? Any ideas?? Squirt bottle does not work,  yelling does not work, blocking the end of the bed with something high does not work... I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?
Desperate for sleep,
Leslie

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Advice on Dogs in bed...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:46:23 pm »
ours only try to get up on the bed if sheeba does, if we can manage to keep her out, we're golden!  if they're well behaved  in the house, maybe you could just shut your door?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 10:59:42 pm »
They usually are well behaved in house but I would be too afraid of not hearing suspicious noises (i have anxiety issues :-[) plus my hubby is a volunteer fireman so he needs to hear his pager go off at all hours of the day/night (which doesnt help my anxiety at all- when I think about him running into a house on fire :o but I still am SO proud he does this and wants to do it full time) So while closing my door would be good- I dont see it happening.

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 11:24:31 pm »
Koby used to sleep on the bed at night, until he decided he needed to be top dog and constantly test us so he's no longer allowed on furniture or the bed.  We decided to crate him during the night until he was about 2 yrs old.  He loves his crate so up until he turned 2 we'd shut the crate door at night, then when we felt we could trust him he'd sleep in his crate with the door open.  Now we just have a twin size mattress next to our bed and he sleeps on that all night long.  We made it look like our bed by putting sheets and a comforter and he has his own pillow.  ::) (I know, it's super crazy.) lol  He loves it though, and every time he feels he needs to take a nap that's where he goes.  Crating may not be an option for you, but that's the only way we could break Koby of sleeping on the bed at night.  Good luck!!

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 06:19:46 am »
if we tell her to get down (which usually involves getting out of bed and sliding her off) she will lay on floor again for 1/2 hour or so and jump back on bed. After repeating this 5x's we just give in and let her sleep there so we can get sleep. Any advice on what to do??

You've already done it!  She has learned through experience that if she keeps at it 5x, she gets to stay.  So you've trained her well :)

It is very hard to have the entire pack sleeping on a prized spot, and leave one out.  It is likely that as long as you allow the first dog up, you will never keep the second dog up.

I had two dogs - one liked to be on the bed, one didn't since he thought it was too hot. When he died, and we got a second - she wanted to be up also. So we removed both dogs from the bed and remained consistent.  They got new special beds right next to our beds to help the adjustment. At 5:00 a.m. they are allowed to get up and spend the last 2 hours with us in bed.  That is the compromise.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 12:14:00 am »
Rocco sleeps in the bed with me everynight, he lays still on his back on his side.  Maia only occassionally gets to sleep with us at night because she lays all over me and gets up and down all night.  She sleeps in her cage in the basement most nights.  I know it is not fair but it works for us.  I just found out I am pregnant so I think I will be using the leash to the bed post idea to get Rocco off the bed.   

Just do what works for you and what makes you feel the most comfortable.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 12:58:35 am »
Often they say a dog shouldn't sleep in your bed because it can create dominance issues. I think you are seeing that when he gets back into bed with you.

Lucah sleeps in his pin in the living room. He actually likes his space as we have learned when we lay with him on the couch. Usually he gets up on his own an moves away. In the morning after he goes out and eats breakfast he can come on the the bed and snooze with us, but never sleeps there overnight.

I would just make the floor a better place, make sure he has a bed he likes put treats there. And work on a command for getting off the bed. That will make it easier when he gets on the bed to get him off.

Offline gypsymom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 01:04:09 am »
With my husband and I, a 4 year old, a 3 year old, 2 cats and Gypsy we have a strict rule (lol) that everyone GOES to bed in their own space. Usually once we are asleep someone ends up in our bed at some point, but as long as the night starts with just me and hubby it's OK. Good luck! I have to admit, there is just something so fun about 2 adults, 2 kids and a 115 lb. dog all piled in together!! 

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 02:29:19 am »
Harley sleeps on the main floor of the house (actually on the couch I bet).   He isn't allowed upstairs where our bed rooms are.

One of my sons favorite stories has to do with our dog Stoli (at the bridge) she was a springer spaniel who would jump up in the middle of the night; after a while my hubby didn't like it so we would gently nudge (OK gently kick her off the bed).  When my son was about 3 he came in my bed lied across the foot of the bed; I thought it was Stoli and she was going to get into trouble with hubby so I gently nudged her; she didn't move so I pushed her out of bed with my foot; BUT it wasn't her it was my son; he cried why did you push me out of bed..well you kind of had to be there but we still laugh about it today.

I personally would have an issue letting one baby sleep in bed and not the other so I would either be squished or try to have the other dog sleep on the floor as well - just my opinion though!!

Offline LJ06

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 03:46:49 am »
Oh my Goodness!!! :D That is a funny story once you knew son was ok  :) I do feel bad one has gotten use to sleeping with us. If I could get a Kig++ size bed it may not be a problem, but my bedroom hardly fits a queen  ???

Offline 8BIGPAWS

• Gnawer
  • Molly (black) & Murphy (white)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 03:44:21 am »
Try a chair....

My alpha dog, Molly (you go girl!) wants to sleep on our bed with us (our fault totally...) but the other (the male) stays on the floor cause we didn't have him since he was a baby. He wasn't raised to be on beds and we haven't invited him to. 

We put a stuffed chair in the corner so Molly is elevated to about bed height. It's near the bed and she can see us. She's at our height but off the floor and higher than the other dog. And it's comfy cozy. All upholstered so she uses the arms as pillows. 

She stays in her chair most of the night but still gets in bed early in the am but we get most of a good night's sleep. 

We use the chair in evenings to watch tv so it's been great.  We have a queen size and no option for a kings size. 

So elevation, proximity and comfort.  Good Luck.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 07:23:54 am »
Well I am really bad. Bailey always sleeps on the bed, at the foot of the bed. Zoey slept in my bed until she was 5 mos old, then claimed another spot in the room. Dakota prefers my husbands side of the bed when he is out of town, Bella just barrels her way into what ever spot she can find, and occasionally Jake is feeling neglected or what ever and he crawls on the bed. As long as I have my spot- I am good. And the Pyrs and Bella always abandon the bed if I turn the heater on since they are so hot natured.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 07:43:07 am »
i've noticed with sheeba, if i make her as uncomfortable as possible, it makes her more willing to stay OFF the bed.  ie-  i might nudge, push, poke her in the ribs with my fingers, etc etc etc. and eventually she just gets tired of it.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 10:44:00 am »
Some standard poodle breeders we knew had two king sized beds.  They would go to bed in one with the dogs, wait till they were asleep, then sneak over to the other one.  This isn't practical for most people, but they had a LOT of dogs.

The only dog we have who wants to sleep in the bed is 9 pound Stella.  She is just there for the blankets.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua