Author Topic: Yellow grass?  (Read 5149 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Yellow grass?
« on: December 12, 2006, 01:24:24 am »
Does anyone know any remedies to yellow grass spots left left after dog's urine?
I have heard that you can add something to their food to prevent the death of our lawns.
Any suggestions?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Yellow grass?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 01:27:59 am »
i'm not sure how well this works, but this is what it sounds like you're talking about.

this one has 365 chewies for $21
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=8152&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=grass+guard&sku=934097&familyID=10866&

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:30:43 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 01:36:05 am »
i'm not sure how well this works, but this is what it sounds like you're talking about.

this one has 365 chewies for $21
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=8152&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=grass+guard&sku=934097&familyID=10866&

This product doesn't have very good reviews. It seems like it's just a waste of money.

I am looking for some herbal remedy. Any holistic advise?
Mary W. Crane

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:39:58 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 01:40:56 am »
You can search here, I've written a couple posts about what worked and what didn't for Sophie yellowing the grass.

Out final solution (none of the pills, herbs, or anything added to the food worked) is to spread crushed or powdered Lime on the grass every couple of weeks. The Lime will balance the PH of your grass and it will no longer burn.  It's best to put it down before it rains or water it into the grass.   You can by lime at home depot or any other store that has lawn supplies.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 01:43:49 am »
I have this problem too. I have considered some of these options, but it concerns me becuase I have no idea what it does to the dog internally. The reason the dog kills the grass in the first place is due to a low pH (very acidic urine).  Well, in my opinion, there's probably a reason for the pH to be low. A dog is peeing out all the "bad" things, so it makes sense that it's nasty. So, where does the pH change take place, and how does it affect the dog's health???  I need to ask my Vet about this. I guess I'm just talking- err- typing out loud.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:45:00 am »
You can search here, I've written a couple posts about what worked and what didn't for Sophie yellowing the grass.

Out final solution (none of the pills, herbs, or anything added to the food worked) is to spread crushed or powdered Lime on the grass every couple of weeks. The Lime will balance the PH of your grass and it will no longer burn.  It's best to put it down before it rains or water it into the grass.   You can by lime at home depot or any other store that has lawn supplies.
Thanks a lot! I will your approach this weekend
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 01:48:21 am »

Thanks a lot! I will your approach this weekend
I meant TRY YOUR APPROACH! I hate typing!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 02:43:33 am »
I hope it works for you!  I don't think it will help the spots that are already yellow but it should prevent them in the future.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog