Author Topic: I'm so sad....for everybody! ** UP-DATE**  (Read 16762 times)

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
Re: I'm so sad....for everybody!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 10:33:44 pm »
When I asked about Izzy being a therapy dog yesterday, I was thinking more along the lines of working at the camp. He would then be an employee and part of the program there. If the insurance company then refused that would put them in a bad light. Better yet they shouldn't or couldn't dicate the work that is being done there. As pet he is a liablity, as a therapy dog involved in the program, he is an asset and deserves their protection also.

Just a thought.

Skippy
Central New York

Offline fullsizetrucks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 10:43:23 pm »
I noticed that someone already mentioned USAA.  I know that there used to be issues with getting insured if you weren't military, but I think that has been lifted now.  I have a rotti, and could not rent anywhere here because of breed laws.  We ended up having to buy, and when I called USAA I was scared that they would have an issue with him.  They asked if I had a dog, and when I said yes and that he was a rotti, the lady went into a 10 min praise fest about how much she loved that breed and wished she could have one.  They had no concerns at all and we haven't heard a peep from them regarding it since.
Big dogs make a house a home.
Be nice, you are God to your Dog.

Heidi
Harassed mother of one 2 legged kid, and three 4 legged spoiled brats!

Offline Angeleyes

• Gnawer
  • Maximus - making heads turn since 2004
    • View Profile
    • I Heart Paws- Pet Community & Forums
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 12:05:27 am »
This is SO sad and unfair.  Have they spoken to other insurance companies?  I know that Allstate and State Farm (I believe) deems all dogs equally capable of biting.  I'm sure the insurance would be a bit higher, but at least they could keep Izzy!!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 12:22:22 am »
When I asked about Izzy being a therapy dog yesterday, I was thinking more along the lines of working at the camp. He would then be an employee and part of the program there. If the insurance company then refused that would put them in a bad light. Better yet they shouldn't or couldn't dicate the work that is being done there. As pet he is a liablity, as a therapy dog involved in the program, he is an asset and deserves their protection also.

Just a thought.

Skippy

Great idea!  Hopefully Galaxe (Jessica) is following this thread because there are many great ideas (and support!!) for keeping Izzy right there where he belongs!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 12:23:57 am by newflvr »

Nicole

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 01:18:44 am »
It sounds like Izzy is just too great a fit for them to let go!!!

EXACTLY! I hope that they are able to work something out. How sad. :(

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 10:50:28 pm »
I wish I had some helpful thoughts.  How sad!  I know they were so excited about Izzy and it seemed like such an awesome fit for everyone.  :'(  I too think I'd consider other companies.  While I'd normally not consider a broker, this might be an excellent way to go.  You never know, a broker might even be able to get them lower rates.  Ok, maybe far fetched but I'm an optimist.
Daphne

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 11:34:37 pm »
I noticed that someone already mentioned USAA.  I know that there used to be issues with getting insured if you weren't military, but I think that has been lifted now.  I have a rotti, and could not rent anywhere here because of breed laws.  We ended up having to buy, and when I called USAA I was scared that they would have an issue with him.  They asked if I had a dog, and when I said yes and that he was a rotti, the lady went into a 10 min praise fest about how much she loved that breed and wished she could have one.  They had no concerns at all and we haven't heard a peep from them regarding it since.

they're offering to cover us with (we had to give tiny away since, but...) 2 pitbulls, 1 akita, 1 akita chow and a great dane, with NO problems, as long as i continued to keep them inside and they weren't running the neighborhood (and they said this was said only because of the # of dogs we had)
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 12:11:06 am »
Daphne,

Yep, our broker got us *much* lower rates when ours went through the roof. This was on health insurance (it went up 23% this year!) and we got a better plan for less money.  Can you imagine that?!?  We were thrilled.

Julie

Ok, so we all need to get on praying and/or thinking positive thoughts that they can find another company that will insure them with Izzy with lower rates! 
Daphne

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 02:28:50 am »
 Hey guys. Thank you for all of the kind words and support. Admittedly, I've been a bit afraid of posting our problem, since I was embarrassed to be one of "those people" who has to give up their animals. I never imagined that life could put us into this position.

For a little more clarification, it's not that we can't get an insurance company to cover Izzy. It's that we can't find an insurance company that will cover the camp as an insured in the event of Izzy biting. Our renter's insurance will allow us a 300,000 personal liability policy in the event that Izzy were to bite someone (anyone who has spent more than 30 seconds can tell you that would never happen). However, the policy will not cover the camp if someone decides to sue them. Because we live on the camp grounds (right smack dab in the middle at that), the camp faces litigation if Izzy bites, and since the camp's liability insurance will not cover Izzy, any litigation would be straight from the camp's pockets. And, for any of those who have worked for a nonprofit- that is just money that the camp doesn't have. Or couldn't even come up with, short of selling the camp.

We have looked into different policies that will cover the camp in the event that Izzy does bite, but have not found anything that is not exorbitantly expensive (thousands a month. Nonprofit salaries just don't cover that.) Right now we are at our wit's ends at the thoughts of losing our baby.  We can't even move, as part of Sean's job description requires us to live on camp most of the time. We are looking into the potential of getting Izzy certified for therapy work, but I don't know that he can pass it yet, or that the insurance provided with TDI certification will cover the camp as well.  It turns out that, about 15 years ago, the camp was sued over a dog bite by a staff member's malamute mix. The camp was part of a larger organization at that point and was able to stay standing when it was over. When we got Izzy, we communicated with all of the people that we needed to, but it turns out that none of them checked with the insurance company like they were supposed to. So, here we are...

Sorry that this is so long. Thank you once again for your continued advice and prayers!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 02:34:51 am »
Jessica, please don't be embarrassed!!!  One thing I've learned from this group is that there is not a single person here who hasn't been through rough times and it has made them all kind, compassionate and thoughtful.  With all of us thinking this problem through, I'm sure we'll come up with some way to salvage the situation!

The important thing is that you want Izzy and Izzy is happy with you!  We'll just brain-storm!!!  You keep working on training!  He'll be great...I just know it!

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 10:03:18 pm »
Hi Jessica,

Just wondering how you are making out. Have you found any soloutions yet? There has to be one out there some where.

Wishing well

Skippy
Central New York

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
Re: I'm so sad....for everybody! ** UP-DATE**
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 03:39:01 am »
Sad news....Izzy/Grizzley is going back to rescue in the next week or two.  Jessica and Sean are devastated, I know, but the board of the camp where they work are so frightened of the liablity of a dog!  Apparently, Izzy/Grizzley is a talker.  If you have never been around a 'talking' Newf, it does sound like growling, but it really is an attempt at communication with people.  My first Newf, Otis 'talked':  he'd watch my mouth when I was talking to him and he would attempt to mimic me.  It really is the funniest thing!  I guess Izzy does the same thing while wagging his tail and wiggling but it's given the wrong impression.

It just makes me SO frickin' angry that people are so afraid of being sued and of the hold insurance companies have on our lives.  Izzy HASN'T bitten anyone, hasn't snapped or done anything to be rejected:  but rejected he is!! 

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR >:(

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 03:40:27 am »
so sad, my dogs all talk too, i love it and think it's sweet, but it does tend to scare people, even my family sometimes (the ones who don't live with us).  so sad though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:43:51 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 03:42:39 am »
How sad!  My heart goes out to Jessica and Sean, I can't imagine how upset they are.  :'(  Izzy sounds like the perfect dog. 

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 08:51:50 pm »
Dear Jessica and Sean,

My thoughts are with you. It is so sad to have the perfect friend and the world doesn't understand. Does this mean you can't have any kind of dog? If it does, it will take a great deal of fullfillment in your work to make up for the loss.

Wishing you could find a soloution. We know how much you cared.
Central New York