Author Topic: I'm so sad....for everybody! ** UP-DATE**  (Read 16761 times)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: I'm so sad....for everybody! ** UP-DATE**
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 12:32:13 pm »
We did comtemplate hiding him, really, he's the exact same color as our carpet upstairs. If only he would hold still a little bit longer..

We looked into and considered TDI testing. The issue is that, though we love him so, our boy has some serious manners issues. The only command that he listens to 80% of the time is sit. Lay down? Forget it. Stay? Ha, you muct be joking. Also, he still has some fear aggression issues to be worked out with other dogs. He is fine with dogs under 35 pounds or so, but if the test calls for him to be introduced to a larger dog, well, that's it. The truth is that, sadly, while he more than certainly has the temperment to be a therapy dog, it will take quite some time to get his training completed to pass the test.

This whole issue has been heartbreaking, frustrating, maddening, and incredibly depressing. Every time I see him cuddled up on the floor with our 6 pound cat, or our friend's 18 month old (who he adores, and they are such partners in crime that it is hilarious) I just want to yell and scream "Does this look like a dangerous dog?"

I am trying to look at the positives, and the only thing I can find is that, perhaps this incident will prevent another dangerous one- ie, because we now know that the insurance will not cover a dog, there won't be any additional dogs at camp, and perhaps that limitation will prevent the camp from ever admitting a dog that would end up being dangerous.

But still, it's not fair. I want to pout like a little kid and clench my fists and scrunch up my face and make loud "hmph" noises. But, I know that won't do any good. Instead, I can only hope that Izzy finds a wonderful, wonderful family with lots of love to give him, and hopefully a couple of kids- he really, really likes them. For now, Sean and I will hopefully find a way to continue to be involved with Newf rescue, perhaps through transport or other avenues that don't include 130 pounds of love staying with us. And, as we begin to plan our house, look at propety, etc., we continue to keep in mind our future fur babies. And, by the way, when we do own our own house- we are having a Newf get together just to "nahnah" the board with our hoard of dangerous dogs.

No, we aren't able to have any kind of dog. The other family up here has a fully enclosed deck, and so they can keep their dog, Esther. She seems to sense our loss and is frequently showing up on our doorstep (she doesn't have to be enclosed when groups aren't in) and coming inside to hang out with us.

Thank you guys so much for your support and understanding. This has been such an emotional rollercoaster that I can't even describe it. Everytime I see his big doofy face I have to fight to keep from losing it. I just hope that all of this is for the best.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 05:07:56 pm »
I'm so sorry. I can hardly wait for you to have your house with your own hoard of "dangerous beasts".  ;) Hang in there...
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2006, 05:16:41 pm »
My heart is breaking for you. This is tough and it really isnt fair- not that life has to be fair- but once in a while would be nice. Maybe you guys will be able to get your house and your property sooner rather than later. Please continue to join us here at BPO, we would miss you terribly if you were no longer a part of the group.

Offline MooseOnTheLoose

• Gnawer
  • Me & Moose
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Therapy With Crystal
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2007, 03:37:14 pm »
Does Izzy still need a home?  I will help any Newf I can.  Write me at crys.kernan@gmail.com if I can be of any help.  Let's get Izzy a forever home!
"[He] possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices." --Lord Byron on his Newfoundland friend, Boatswain.