Author Topic: hmmm, Not sure I like this....  (Read 7655 times)

Kirsti

hmmm, Not sure I like this....
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:19:26 am »
http://www.petsmart.com/doggiedaycamp/   

I don't like there list of who my not attend... I totaly get the unneutered male and aggressive dogs....but to totaly take breeds and 'ban' them.... thats not right...  :'(

~K

Who may not attend?

Intact (unneutered) male dogs or pregnant females
Dogs with any aggressive tendencies regardless of breed
Dogs in the "bully breed" classification (e.g. Pit Bull Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Bull Dogs or mixed breeds that have the appearance or characteristic s of one of these breeds)
Wolves/wolf hybrids

bigdogs@5501

Re: hmmm, Not sure I like this....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:22:56 am »
Petsmart wouldnt take Jake because he is a Great Dane. When I board Jake- there is a Vet in town that actually breeds Danes for show, and thats who I trust with Jake.

Kirsti

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:27:26 am »
It sounds like Petsmart has problems.... I would totaly trust a breeder more then a store...
That sounds best for Jake too....
~K

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:37:22 am »
Great.  AWESOME JOB PETSMART!!!!  I don't have any of the breeds they mentioned or have had a bully breed (wolf or wolf/hybrid either  :-\ ) but to know there is a possibility of being 'banned' because of my pets breed irritates the crap out of me.  Very nice...
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 05:01:47 am »
we have a dog PARK who bans all bully breeds, also dogs under a certain poundage aren't allowed to swim  >:(
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:10:53 am »
So the heavier dog's can't go and swim in the pond??
Misty slave to:
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 05:12:22 am »
no dogs under 20lbs

to get IN the park, you have to fill out an application, fax it to them, come one day for a 10-20 minute temperment test (that costs you $15 PER dog) in which they take one of their dogs on a leash and see how they react, which i understand, but i also understand does act totally different on and off leash.  then, no bully breeds or mixes, dogs are separated by under 20lbs, and then over 20lbs (i understand this, but axle couldn't go because he doesn't get along with most big paws)  NO acceptions, bring vacc. records to temperament testing (naturally) if your dog is under 7mths and unneutered you aren't allowed in if they won't listen to recall.  large off leash park visit fees are $16/one dog, $20/two dogs & $22/three dogs.   You can purchase securely online both the first visit and the evaluation fee by visiting our Secure  Payment Page.   Payment can also be made at the park.  For your convenience we take checks, cash, Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.  you can only use the dog shower IF you have this membership, so if it's a one time thing and your dog swims, you're screwed!  some other rules include

So all can enjoy, we also ask:

NO Retractable Leashes

Dogs weigh at least 20lbs to enjoy the Big Dog Area

NO Treats/Snacks/Food allowed in off-leash areas

Children must be 4 ft tall to enter the big dog area,

Intact Males will be asked to demonstrate COMPLETE command  & control.

Bring a towel in the event your dog swims.  If you consider a park membership, you will truly enjoy our special dog bathing station.

Protective Breed, Terrier & Neuter Information: Please note we do not let any pit bull or pit bull terrier mixes into the park,  All protective breed or terrier dogs that pass our temperament test (Shepherd, doberman, rottweiller, all terriers, bovier, Schnauzers, akita, chow, others) do have evaluations performed monthly by our expert park staff with possibly one of the trained, temperament evaluation dogs.

Un-Neutered (Intact) Males over 8 months old: To keep the park safe for all, intact males with successful temperament evaluations need to have the owner demonstrate complete command and control.

If there are any accompanying children, for their safety they must be at least 4ft. tall to enter the Large Dog off-leash area and maintain behavior as noted on the application.

i understand a lot of the things, like you need to rent the agility course on weekends, but some of the things are stupid, like the breed thing.  she owns 3 akitas so she should KNOW about reputations in breeds. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:22:27 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 05:13:28 am »
OOOH.  Guess there are pretty big catfish in there huh?   ::)
Misty slave to:

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 05:22:55 am »
they must!  look at SOME of the above rules
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 05:44:42 am »
Wow.  We have lots of dog parks here in Houston and there are two that I'm super impressed with.  They are gated and separated between large and small dog.  Rules are simple and really do make sense to me and it does nothing but promote safety for dogs and owners a like.  They even allow in tact males and the only stipulation is they are responsive to voice command and obviously non-aggressive.  Dogs that are not allowed and or asked to leave are (naturally) aggressive dogs and bitches in heat.  Oh, and the dog showers are right outside of the fenced in park with poles you can attach the leash too in order to easily shower off your dog.  So convenient.  Now, the down side is due to the laid back rules there are those people who aren't as responsible or even knowledgeable about their pet and other pets behavior and IMHO maybe shouldn't be there.  Luckily the parks are large enough to find a safer spot to play..   ;)  Oh and I have one side note to add to my 'catfish' comment.  We have a dog park near the buffalo bayou her in Houston and the dogs LOVE to run in and out of it.  There is signs posted that say "Caution! Watch for alligators” AAAAHHHHH  :o :o :o I’m so glad Gracie doesn't swim.... 
Misty slave to:

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 05:50:32 am »
ha ha that's like axle is a husky.... i didn't even know that one ha ha
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 05:57:03 am »
or]Do. The ban is horrible but just tell everyone its a lab cross ;D They won't know.
HAAA..  awesome.
Misty slave to:

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 06:12:13 am »
they might aswell have put

1.Labs and Golden retrievers only
2.guide dog prefered

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 06:13:49 am »
more like blind, that way they have less chance of chance "bumping" into each other
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Kirsti

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 12:20:37 am »
k, so going along with this, I told my neighboor (who also happends to be my best friend...) and her mom about how dumb it was for petsmart to ban those breeds and  I was astounded by what I heard from them! They said that it was GOOD for them to ban the bully breeds beacuse they are 'fighters, all of them!' My uncle has a Pit Bull they have meet and adore, but they said that everyone sould ban the bullies! I was sooo hurt! I had to keep my mouth shut so didn't start a fight.... grrr... I'm still mad about it... I was saying how its all in the way your raise them, but they were like, no they are born killers, and will kill anything! I think the Meida got to them.... but I can't change ther opionions....  :'( :'(...I even brought up Tia and asked them if she was a born killer (which she is not!)..grrr, sorry for the rant....

~K