Author Topic: We have a problem with our neighbor's dog ... what to do ?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
We have a problem with our neighbor's dog ... what to do ?
« on: December 13, 2006, 04:22:57 am »
Our backyards are connected and divided by our 5' chain link fence . Our neighbor's have a pitbull mix that they rescued from the HS a few years ago . Her name is Katie . They have always said she's a super sweet dog ( I'm sure she is with them ! ) and they've tried to get my kids to pet her in the past but she has her hackles raised and her mouth closes and she just seems uncomfortable so I tell them no . Anyways , we've lived here for a year and a half and really haven't had too many problems with her , she'll come up to the fence when we're outside and just stares at us , I've always tried talking nice to her etc to make friends but she doesn't seem interested . Allie LOVES her and used to get into their yard ( Allie is THE escape artist) and they play and play , the neighbor's have always been super nice about that , though I appologize like crazy . So anyhow , lately when we're outside Katie will come charging up to the fence barking and snarling like crazy at us ! And then the other day I was doing poo patrol and was kneeling down close to the fence , didn't even know she was outside , and all of the sudden there she was biting at the fence , putting her paws thru trying to get at me . I told my husband about it and he went out last weekend to reinforce the fence with medal stakes to make sure Allie never ever gets back in there , and that dog came up and tried attacking him too . He took one of those stakes and poked it at her to get her paws off his arm ( he wasn't hurt as he was wearing a thick coat) , the owners were outside when this happened and they didn't even call her off . We are a private family that just likes to keep to ourselves , I'm not sure if I should bring this up with the neighbor's as they really don't seem to think she's any threat ? Or maybe we should buy those slots that you put thru chain link fences to add privacy , maybe that would keep her from putting her paws thru ? I'm always outside with my kids but I'm just scared she'll be able to grab one of them and pull them close . What do ya'll think ? ( sorry so long !  ;D )

*modified because I can't spell  ;D *
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:25:57 am by horsepoor21 »
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: We have a problem with our neighbor's dog ... what to do ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:41:04 am »
i'm so sorry you're going through this!  our neighbors fences are the same as ours (connected on 3 sides!) and several of them have dogs.  ours bark at them, but i'm quick to call the dogs inside the SECOND the first barks makes its way to the house.  theirs bark at us too, but then when we say their names they usually stop unless we have a big burly jacket on and they don't recognize us.  maybe it's just something about the fence with her, since she came from the humane society??  you know how some dogs act a fool through fences but then once you're on the other side they're as nice as can be??  i've met several dogs like that, and i do admitt, mine are like that, too, sometimes although with them it's more a "i wanna see who you are" (they'll even  bark at me and hubby on a rare occasion ha ha)...  i'm not really sure what to do, you could try bringing it up to the neighbors and see if you could meet her in their yard, just to put your mind at ease, or if you're able to, do like we'll hopefully be doing next month, and put a privacy fence up.  hope it works out for you!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]