Author Topic: Who lives in California?  (Read 6393 times)

Luvmydanes

Who lives in California?
« on: October 21, 2005, 02:54:13 am »
Whoever does, look at this beauty!! I wish I lived close enough to go adopt him! He is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! Take a look!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=2762238

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Who lives in California?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 03:27:16 am »
Yes, I've seen him on there already.  Stop torturing me!!

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 03:47:17 am »
He is absolutely beautiful! I don't know how he couldn't have been adopted by now! I read their rules and everyone in the family (including pets) have to go to meet the dog you want to adopt. I am SOO tempted (if we had the money) to make a vacation out of it and drive down to california to get that handsome boy. He looks enormous!

Kandi

Luvmydanes

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 03:55:44 am »
Like what? now I'm curious

Luvmydanes

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 04:05:25 am »
Wow! Well how sad for those poor dogs. :( That breaks my heart if they truly are being mistreated.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 04:19:37 am »
I read that article the other day, and it was very interesting.  But they don't say not to adopt from GG, just to be aware of what you are getting.  It seems their biggest problem is record keeping....... ........they don't seem to do any, so you don't really know anything about the dog you may be getting.  I'm sure w/no records, after awhile, you roll all dogs into one category, which is not how it should be.

Their financials also looked odd, but I'm not an accountant so I can't say what is normal.

I actually tried to adopt thru them, but I never heard back from them, even after 2 emails and a message left with a secretary.

Luvmydanes

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 04:22:17 am »
They have some beautiful dogs on their website, thats for sure!

Kandi

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 04:25:21 am »
Yes, they do.  I try not to look at them since I can't get any.   :'(

They had a little hairless guy I had my eye on for awhile.  He was too cute.  I'm glad he finally found a home (I think)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 04:19:47 am »
Just out of curiosity, do any of you know who manufactures the dog food Gentle Giants is peddling?  Are they in the dog food business?  Are they using their own labels?  Only wondering.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 02:06:08 pm »

Good question Peggy!
I've heard many negative things about this site from other posts.
Have visited the site and have been led into an, "Oh! It's so wonderful!" feeling.
Their 'Testimonials' are always sterling, and their photographs are polished.
But I've never heard 'real life' experiences be anything but negative.
From their Photos they have the most adorable animals imaginable for adoption.
I will always be suspect of a 'supposed' rescue group that makes you sign a 'food warranty'.
Spay and/or neuter, no problem. Inspect my home for compatibility, no problem. Ask about my lifestyle and what I expect from my Dog, no problem.
Tell me what I will feed my dog forever, and the only place I can get it is through them! Errch! Both feet on the brakes, and a hard turn to the shoulder of the road!
If they had shown any intention to take back dogs that were improperly placed, if they had backed up their promises of paying for vet bills that were found to be lacking because of their diet, or disabled because of the diet, then yes, I may be able to support these people.
They have not shown that they are willing, able, or capable of backing their promises to an unwitting public.
They are in trouble with the State of California over their tax exempt status.
They are frowned upon by 'ligitimate' rescue groups.
I consider them at Best a back yard breeder, and at Worst a Puppy Mill!
Let the Buyer Beware!
John
p.s.
I'm not afraid to slam them, I would love to hear their 'polished' response!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
Re: Who lives in California? (RE: Gentle Giants)
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 12:15:24 pm »
That Petfinder ad has been run by Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions in Norco, CA for years.  Ricky the Playboy is their own family dog.  That dog, because he is so gorgeous, is used as "BAIT" to entice people to adopt dogs from them.  Ricky the Playboy is NOT available for adoption.  The dogs they do have to offer is no where NEAR anything like Ricky.

If you would like to learn more about the "quality" of a rescue organization that Gentle Giants is, go to: www.Gracieland .org/RW/news.html  __ scroll about half way down the page when it starts to talk about a "Law Suit" and read from there.

Hopefully with a bit more public education, this rescue organization will be disclosed for who they really are.

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 12:26:47 pm »
The thing I thought was scary was that they were going to take away that woman's dog for feeding Eagle Pack instead of Pedigree.   The woman had obviously researched her food choice in depth, and she provided references. 

Hey, EastJenn ... I am that woman that they tried to repossess my dog because I switched from Pedigree to Eagle... and no, they DID NOT get my dog back.

The dogs are gorgeous though. 

In regards to the "gorgeous" dogs on their website ... none of their adoptable dogs are in ANY of those photographs...  most of them are their own family pets, or are other peoples dogs.

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 01:56:20 am »

Here is a link to Gentle Giant's website, page called "Family".  This is all of Gentle Giant's own personal family dogs.  Scroll about 3/4 of the way down... and what do you know... Ricky the Playboy is one of their family dogs.   Notice the first couple of pictures of him... how beautiful.  Then ... oops ... they adopted him out.  Why would a family that LOVES their family members SO much adopt one of them out?

http://www.gentlegiantsrescue.com/family.htm

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 06:56:30 pm »
Yes, I know this post is old, but somewhat relevant because I have a solution for anyone facing the threat of lawsuit due to changing a GG dog's food.  All it takes in a note from the Dog's Vet. saying the change was necessary for the suit to fly out the window.

No matter what you sign regarding feeding, valid medical care overrules contracts on feeding.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua