Author Topic: Adopted Wolfhound in TX  (Read 10253 times)

Offline luckybetts

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Adopted Wolfhound in TX
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:49:09 am »
I adopted the one in Texas on Thursday.  I am really happy with him- he seems to be an all around excellent beast.  I lost my last 2 to cancer and was heartdamaged from it.  He is the first one I have seen that lights a fire in me in 2 years.  It's the beginning of a beautiful friendship!  Actually I should fess up - I am giddly head over heels for this dog.  I am sorry to hear about the other one though - I thought GG was a great place.......bu t I was wondering why they always seem to mention puppies available.  I try to adopt rescue dogs when possible and there are always posts on petfinder but without further info.  A little frusterating when you are looking fo a certain type of dog and think it might be for adoption there.  Thanks for the heads up I will do the research.  Now - does anyone know hoe long it takes a IW to stop growing?  This one is only about 19 months and I have never had one this young before.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:51:35 am by EastJenn »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Adopted Wolfhound in TX
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:58:31 am »
Welcome to BPO luckybetts! I wanted that wolfhound real bad! ;) But I am glad to hear he went to a great home where he is loved!!! :D

I can't wait to rescue a wolfhound when the right one comes along. They are such amazing dogs. :)

So what are you calling him? And please post some pics of him!! YAY! According to the weight chart I have for IW's, your boy might have another 50 or 60 lbs to gain and another 6 inches of height!! It says growth continues until about age 3.

Have fun!!!! :D

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:42:56 am »
OMG I am so glad that you found this site and that you are the one who adopted the IW. I am the one who called to see about him and was ready to go and bail him out when I was told that you were adopting him. This is just the best news all day long.
We need more pics- he looked absolutely gorgeous in the other pics that I had seen of him. And maybe we could even set up a date to met at some time in the future.
I am Paige. Mom to lots of bigs that are all for the most part rescues. Currently there are 3 Great Danes, 3 Great Pyrenees, A newf mix and some littles. I am a firm believer in fate and fate has brought the two of you together. Congrats on your getting your big guy.

Offline luckybetts

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:59:40 am »
Hi Everyone - thank you so much for your support!   With the holidays and family visits and some other things I have not been able to get back until now.  When I picked up the beast his name was Anchors - you heard correctly.  Very hard to say and kind of an odd name.  I call him Angus because at 18 months he actually was very settled in on Anchors and if I slurred it I could make it sound like Angus.  So I started moving him towards Angus and 2 months later it is working very well - he knows he is Angus, but he still responds to Anchors which comes in handy when I really need to get his attention.  He was pretty unsure at first ( I am his 4th and last home) but is settling in very well, he is very attached to my whole family.  My Dad and Brother in particular, as he is not that fond of women besides myself and my Mom.  We are going to go for some training classes soon so he will be a proper young man (properish).  I should have done it already, but in early January I lost my best friend to complications from Lupus and have not been able to do much until now.  Of course you all know what a comfort a big old snuggly dog is when you are down.  He was the one who could get me up and outside to play and he has just been wonderful.  We have been staying with my parents in Dripping Springs and they have some acreage so he is loving the room to run!  Really starting to come out of his shell.  He can get crazy and he uses his feet alot (hence the need for training).  We found a couple with 2 IW's that invited him to come play at the park so that will be helpful - he wants to play so badly, but none of the other dogs are big enough to deal with him - well my poodle thinks she is, but when they play her whole head fits in his mouth!  If anyone is around South/Southwest Austin or San Marcos, Texas and has a big dog that likes to play let me know and we will come meet.  Angus had a messed up stomach for about a month but has now settled in well and is gaining weight and eating well.  So he is ready for some outings.  I will be posting pictures as soon as I take some digitals or get some transferred to dig.  I am still a film person, but am trying to work on that.  Thanks again and I really hope to get to know you all better!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:33:53 am »
I'm in Austin (east side). I have Riley, a Saint, and Sadie, a Lab. :) I am happy to hear that you are able to give Angus/Anchors a great permanent home.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:41:31 am »
sorry to hear about the loss of your friend!  i know how hard that can be, but boy fur friends sure can make you feel better!  i'm glad to hear your boy is doing so well, and can't wait to see pictures!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 12:03:03 pm »
Yah!!!!Another IW owner here.  We have a 7 month IW , her name is Amy.  We also have a female newf, Joy, and a male Rotti name Tiny.
Our breeder told us that an IW will still grow till they are around 3.  Seems long to me since there only destined to live till they are 6-8 years.  But some that I have heard to live way longer.
How much did you say Angus weighs now?
We just had Amy weighed last week and she weighed 90 pounds.
Again congrats to your new addition.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 10:21:40 am »
Welcome back- I had been wondering about you guys and wondering how he was doing in his new home. So sorry to hear about your friend, that is tough. I am sure that it was a comfort to have Angus though. Please dont be a stranger, we would love to keep up with how you and Angus are doing.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 03:05:16 pm »
Hello and welcome!  Can't wait to see pics of Angus.  We are in Houston...we really all need to plan a Texas get together sometime!
I am kind of a big deal!