Author Topic: Joey has epilepsy  (Read 6202 times)

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
Joey has epilepsy
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:12:02 pm »
 :( I just found out that Joey has epilepsy. We were awoken yesterday morning (5 am ), by a loud thumping on the deck by my 2 year old Pyr/Kuvasz cross. We found him frothed at the mouth, having lost bodily functions and just coming out of a seizure dazed and confused. 2 hours later he had another...I saw him go down. It was agonizing. I took Joey to the vet at 9 am. They have ordered blood work and examined him. The vet can't see anything physically wrong so it may be idiopathic, (no known reason). We will see if blood and urine tests pick up anything today. Apparently, if a dog has 4 or so seizures a year, they are not medicated, but if they have them monthly, they do medicate. I have realized since he had his two seizures yesterday, that there have been two others in the last month, ( I witnessed and was confused by a couple of accidents he had, and the fishy way he smelled especially around his furry mane, (gastric juices and saliva).Now I know. It also explains some dazed behavior. This is so very sad...and also bizarre, as I have a son with epilepsy that I have to have a "hawk-eye" for. Heartbreaking for me and my big Joey. I just wanted to share, and is there any one out there who has a dog with epilepsy?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Joey has epilepsy
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:15:41 pm »
so sorry to hear this!  i hope you can figure something out to help him!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:18:25 pm »
I am sorry to hear about Joey.I hope you find some anawers out with the blood work. Sending you positive thoughts your way :)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:24:14 pm »
So sorry to hear about Joey.  My heart goes out to you and your family.

My friend had a Golden with epilepsy.  He was medicated and it greatly reduced the amount of seizures.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

mjjensen

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 11:39:17 pm »
 I haven't had a dog with epilepsy but I had a cat with it. I rescued her as a kitten and she already was having seizures. She was also blind and was going to be PTS. Medication did a great job of controlling her seizures and she had a good life.She lived to be 13yo. Don't give up hope. I'm sure they must have medication that can help Joey.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 11:55:39 pm »
I am so sorry to hear about Joey. My heart goes out to you and your family.

My dad's dog started suffering seizures when he was about 1-2 years old. He takes a pill every day for it and is a happy nine year old. I hope that gives you some comfort and hope.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:17:56 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 11:56:52 pm »
I don't have a dog with epilepsy but we found out my daughter has it in August and I know how hard it can be  :'( I'll be praying for you and sweet Joey !  :-*
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 12:14:03 am »
I'm very sorry to hear that Joey appears to have epilepsy.  I do not have a dog with epilepsy but when I was younger my boyfriends yorkie (Merry) had it; she was actually quite severe until they started medicating her; she was a very happy, active dog who lived a great life with her loving family I don't know at what age she passed away because we lost touch but I know she was past 10 and had been on the drugs for numerous years.

I must say that Joey is one handsome boy!!  I wish you, Joey and your entire family the best in dealing with this new challenge!!

Randy & Harley

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 12:35:58 am »
Tucker our dane/lab mix had his first seizure Christmas morning 2004.  It was so scary and seemed to last forever.  He seized again New Years Eve (3 in 3 hours) and was put on Phenobarbital.  For the next several months he continued to have seizures every seven to ten days.... it was devastating.  Tucker would have grand mals with full paddling and jaw chopping, loss of urinary function and most times his anal glands would release.  Tucker was also a cluster pup.... sometimes as many as ten in a 24-hour period. 

We did all the testing including blood work, MRI, and spinal tap and everything came back normal, Tucker has idiopathic epilepsy.  For months we didn't know if we were doing the right thing and even considered having him PTS.  Then we added potassium bromide (KBr) and began to see the monster less and less.  I'm happy to say that other than two partials he had back in October he has been seizure free since June 2005.  In addition he has been off the Phenobarbital for five months.   

The best advice I would give is relax and don't give up.  I am a member of the K9 Epi board and they are lifesavers.  Here is a link: 
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Resources.html

I know how difficult this is.... please know that you are not alone.

I will also send you a PM with some things we have done to help deal with visits from the "monster".

Offline Beaux

• Ankle Biter
  • Beauxcephus J Dawg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 01:27:44 am »
I am so sorry to hear that about Joey. I dog sit for a beautiful lil' Aussie girl and she has siezures. I have been there for the ending of one. She has had her medication adjusted because of wieght changes and is now on Phenobarbital 2 pills (different dose sizes) twice a day. She is amazing. She is in agility and shows. You wouldn't know. It has been a challenge but it all has seem to balance out. As a treat after her siezure we give her a spoon of vanilla ice cream. No medical reason. Just for love. She knows once she is alert again she is getting something positive (a treat) and it will all be okay. Of course we love on her and reassure her that everything is ok. She is a bit confused and at first stand offish right after the siezure but once it's over and she getsher ice cream she is cuddly. Joey is in my thoughts & prayers. You are an awesome mom I am sure.  :) He is very lucky to have a mommy there with him. Take care.
kimberly 7 Beaux

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 01:35:46 am »
As a treat after her siezure we give her a spoon of vanilla ice cream. No medical reason. Just for love.

Actually giving vanilla ice cream after the seizure is one of the best things you can do.  It increases blood sugar and helps reduce the postictal behavior (confusion and pacing).  It's best to give an all-natural ice cream like Bryer's.  We give Tucker 1/4 to 1/2 cup that we keep in pre-measured cups.  We stick the cup in the microwave for 10 seconds and then give it to him. 

Offline Beaux

• Ankle Biter
  • Beauxcephus J Dawg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 01:38:03 am »
Her real mommy must have known that part.  ;D I didn't so that is great to know.  ;D I knew it helped calm her but that medical reason rocks! Yes, it is all natural, vanilla bean I think, Bryer's ice cream. Good to know!  ;D
Beaux & Kimberly
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:39:00 am by Beaux »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 04:04:31 am »
Cowboy, my big Landseer has cluster seizures and is on Gabapentin three times a day and Potassium Bromide at dinner.  He's been seizure free for almost a year and a half....but it took us over a year to get the right mix of drugs.  We're just like 'brindle pack'...all the diagnostic stuff and then the neurologist just kept trying different doses of different drugs.   I completely understand how awful it is to live with the monster...and what joy now that it's pretty much controlled.  I felt I could never leave him alone since we have to run him to the ER if he seizes more than twice for a massive am't of valium. 

There are lots of options out there for treatment!

Good luck!!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 07:02:41 pm »
My Frankie has idiopathic epilepsy. She is on potassium bromide once daily, and melatonin at bedtime (helps reduce nighttime seizures!).  Our rescue boy Jesse lets us know up to 24 hours ahead of time that she is going to have one, so we can kind of be prepared.

Weedsport, NY

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
Re: Joey has epilepsy...2nd update...long.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 01:17:41 am »
Thank-you Cindy for sharing your post and to everyone else as well for your kind support. As I mentioned, I have just been waiting on pins and needles for another seizure since Monday when I took Joey to the Vet. He checked out okay physically but his blood/urine work came back elevated lypase which can indicate pancreatis but we already know Joey is prone to a sensitive stomach and I already have him on low fat, high quality kibble. So nothing came up that would indicate seizures.

Anyway, last night I was sitting up late and I heard a loud bang and I ran to find Joey in a writhing convulsion, emitting an erie sound from his throat, foaming at the mouth. It feels like a tradgedy to me. I see it with my son, 17 now, 10 yrs with complex partial seizures, and now my big furry lovely puppy, who I waited so long to get, the "big guy", who helps me cope, lifts my spirits, keeps me exercised and who loves to be adored,... and adores me...wow :',( this is hard. )

The long and short of it is that I called the vet this morning and I have to start him on phenobarbital and rectal valium if neccessary for longer seizures. In two to three weeks I get his blood levels checked and we go from there. She said some dogs need to take more than one drug and his seizures should start responding to the drug therapy in a couple of weeks.

Please send your good thoughts Joey's way and to anyone that is suffering with sick pets, my thoughts are with you too.

Sincerely, Georgi
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown